News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

I can't easily get tested in my area. I was thinking of buying a couple of at homes as long as they are accurate and not requiring a script. I'm not symptomatic or been exposed...just thinking ahead.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Our state had almost 8,000 confirmed cases today. I wonder how many are really out there...

spork

My mother is doing ok; today she feels slightly better than she did yesterday. Her symptoms are still limited to a runny nose and sore throat. Since symptom onset was a full week ago, I think she is through the worst of it and should recuperate. I do not know what the case count is now at her retirement home, but interaction between employees and residents is being ratcheted down, in addition to all residents remaining in their apartments with their doors closed. For example, dinners are now limited to sandwiches instead of hot meals, which means fewer employees spending less time in the kitchen.

As for my brother's household, one person with symptoms tested negative, so apparently it's just a typical head cold. His wife's symptoms have not worsened and are still mild.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

hmaria1609

Thanks for the update about your mom!  Hope she's better soon.

nebo113

spork....  So glad about your mom!!!  My mother's retirement community is now serving in the dining room, after being in lockdown because of 3 covid cases.

AmLitHist

I haven't heard from my friend, and I'm worried:  I texted her on Christmas eve and again this morning, with no replies.  I don't know her husband or his phone number (they're not married, so I'm not even sure of his last name), and her grown sons live across the country.  It probably sounds weird, but we're "work friends" so I don't know other ways to find out about her.

(This is another reason why, after a colleague/work friend died suddenly a couple of years ago, I made up a list for ALHS/our girls, should something similar happen to me--a couple of good work friends to call, name and cell number for my chair, HR contacts, etc.)

pigou

Quote from: Ruralguy on December 24, 2020, 05:49:58 PM
I can't easily get tested in my area. I was thinking of buying a couple of at homes as long as they are accurate and not requiring a script. I'm not symptomatic or been exposed...just thinking ahead.
I've had good experiences with this one. Free if you have self-reported symptoms: https://www.pixel.labcorp.com/at-home-test-kits/covid-19-test-home-collection-kit

You can't (and shouldn't) get a bunch of kits in advance. But their turnaround is very quick: I've gotten mine delivered the day after ordering and it goes back to them via overnight shipping. It's a proper PCR test, too.

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 27, 2020, 10:54:31 AM
I haven't heard from my friend, and I'm worried:  I texted her on Christmas eve and again this morning, with no replies.  I don't know her husband or his phone number (they're not married, so I'm not even sure of his last name), and her grown sons live across the country.  It probably sounds weird, but we're "work friends" so I don't know other ways to find out about her.

(This is another reason why, after a colleague/work friend died suddenly a couple of years ago, I made up a list for ALHS/our girls, should something similar happen to me--a couple of good work friends to call, name and cell number for my chair, HR contacts, etc.)

On this or another thread, awhile back, I mentioned that at one point a friend I was trying to contact had been so long in replying that I looked up her church website, to be sure she wasn't on the prayer list....thankfully, she was not and I heard from her a couple days later.

But yes. in another instance, I'd apparently emailed someone a few days before they died and didn't know until a month later, after I'd emailed again, that they were gone: the people taking care of their things found my email and very kindly let me know.

I hope you can reach your friend soon. Keep us posted.

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

We've had little word from our sick staff member and her family.  They do seem to be doing better.  I hope they were able to have a good Christmas Day.

Running on a skeleton staff today, but we don't anticipate a high level of business on a gloomy day right after Christmas.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

We're back to curbside service at the library. There were patrons who hadn't heard about the mayor's latest health directive so it was 1st time hearing about it from us library staff. These are folks who don't own a computer.
It's been nice having the branch to ourselves--we can move around more freely. Fewer interruptions while shelving and discharging library materials too!

spork

Situation at my brother's household has changed. His wife has recovered fully and will be returning to work soon. The three other people in the house now have symptoms resembling the flu plus, for one person, loss of taste, who got a positive test result yesterday. The other two, one of which is my brother, are waiting for test results but are most likely positive for Covid-19.

My mother is status quo and likely on the path to a full recovery.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

Quote from: spork on December 29, 2020, 02:42:24 PM
Situation at my brother's household has changed. His wife has recovered fully and will be returning to work soon. The three other people in the house now have symptoms resembling the flu plus, for one person, loss of taste, who got a positive test result yesterday. The other two, one of which is my brother, are waiting for test results but are most likely positive for Covid-19.

I am sorry.  I'm still struggling (emotionally) with/about BIL who had covid and will continue to interact with others.

apl68

Our sick staff member has been released to return to work in one week.  She's feeling much better.

Another staff member is having problems, but they seem not to be COVID-related.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Caracal

Quote from: nebo113 on December 30, 2020, 05:44:42 AM
Quote from: spork on December 29, 2020, 02:42:24 PM

I am sorry.  I'm still struggling (emotionally) with/about BIL who had covid and will continue to interact with others.

He should be fine by now right? My understanding is that if you're recovered and more than a ten days from illness onset, you don't need to quarantine.