News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: apl68 on March 08, 2021, 10:28:06 AM
Since yesterday morning I have had a rather bad case of "the flux."  Much worse than anything I'm accustomed to having.  Otherwise I feel fine.  Since looseness of the bowels is one possible sign of COVID, the members of the staff are now looking at me with suspicion.  The lack of other symptoms makes me strongly suspect that it's simple runs.  But I am taking steps to isolate myself and get tested ASAP.  Looks like I'm going to be pre-emptively banished from work for the next couple of days.

It's also a known side-effect of some of the vaccines.  Have you recently been vaccinated?

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on March 08, 2021, 10:51:11 AM
Since yesterday morning I have had a rather bad case of "the flux."  Much worse than anything I'm accustomed to having.  Otherwise I feel fine.  Since looseness of the bowels is one possible sign of COVID, the members of the staff are now looking at me with suspicion.  The lack of other symptoms makes me strongly suspect that it's simple runs.  But I am taking steps to isolate myself and get tested ASAP.  Looks like I'm going to be pre-emptively banished from work for the next couple of days.

It's also a known side-effect of some of the vaccines.  Have you recently been vaccinated?

No, still waiting for state eligibility to get around to me.  I'd really hate to think I had gotten the stuff after dodging it successfully for a whole year.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Caracal

Yeah, anything is possible, but the people I know who had gastro symptoms of COVID felt pretty terrible. Of course, better to be careful and get tested, but I wouldn't worry too much...

apl68

Feeling fine today, but still isolating.  I'm taking care of some essential tasks at work.  Scheduled to be tested at 3:00 this afternoon.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Earlier today, Gov. Hogan announced lifting capacity restrictions in MD starting 5 pm Friday:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2021/03/maryland-lifts-capacity-limits-for-restaurants-effective-friday/
Definitely good news!

Gov. Northam provided updates for VA:
https://wtop.com/virginia/2021/03/virginia-coronavirus-update-march-9/

pgher

Quote from: hmaria1609 on March 09, 2021, 07:20:30 PM
Earlier today, Gov. Hogan announced lifting capacity restrictions in MD starting 5 pm Friday:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2021/03/maryland-lifts-capacity-limits-for-restaurants-effective-friday/
Definitely good news!

Once a few states lift restrictions, there will be ENORMOUS pressure on other states to do so as well. I'm afraid the decisions will all be driven by political appearances rather than actual facts.

apl68

Preliminary test came back negative.  The full test results will come in another day or two.  Meanwhile I'm still supposed to be staying away from everybody.  I've got things that I really have to get done at work, so I'm closed up in my office doing them.  The fact that I'm on the premises at all still scares some of them.  Come on, folks, germs can't get past good, solid doors!  And simply walking from the back entrance to my office while dutifully wearing a mask is not going to poison the place.

Caracal

Quote from: pgher on March 09, 2021, 07:37:35 PM
Quote from: hmaria1609 on March 09, 2021, 07:20:30 PM
Definitely good news!

Just that restaurants have ever been open for indoor dining is bizarre and reflects our total inability to prioritize. I have cousins who own a restaurant  who just shut down in March. They did takeout for a couple of days and then decided that they the idea that their employees were going to get sick just from coming into work was more than they could live with and they've been closed since. They are lucky. They own the building and their spouses both have white collar salaried jobs, so they can afford to stay shut, although I'm sure it isn't great. Most restaurants can't do that and takeout probably doesn't generate the same revenue, especially if you have a liquor license. Far more federal money should have been available to allow places to stay closed, or at least only do carryout or outside dining, based on case rates in the area.

As it is, when you allow places to be open, you're sending the message that indoor dining is safe, when really it is one of the riskiest things you can do.

clean

When the closures first started, my coworker's son (who is trained to be a fireman and waiting for the call) was working in the kitchen.  He volunteered to be laid off so that the other workers could keep earning money. Then the government added a bonus to unemployment, and he was making as much or more as the ones that were working! 
I asked if he could wash and wax my camper so that I could get it up for sale, but he was too busy playing video games! 

Im glad that the government has provided the safety net that it has, but I think that it is going to be hard to turn off this tap and get everyone back to work.  However, once the kids are back in school full time, I think that it will make people more willing and able to get back to work, especially when the periodic government checks and enhanced unemployment checks cease (If they do!)

The bad news is that we are going to be paying for this for a long, long time!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

kaysixteen

No we're not, really.   All we have to do is raise taxes on those most able to afford it, who have largely been free-riders in an economic system that was rigged to their benefit.   We could start by forcing many American companies to, ahem, actually pay taxes, repatriate their profits, etc.

clean

QuoteAll we have to do is raise taxes on those most able to afford it, who have largely been free-riders in an economic system that was rigged to their benefit.

Who decides who is "most able to afford it"?  I fear that there are a lot of people that would be gathered in that net by the tax policy writers. 

And please identify the qualities of the "free riders in an economic system that was rigged to their benefit"?  How do I know one when I see one?   (Am I one?  Are You?)

kaysixteen

We could start with people like zillionaire Jeff Bezos, whose firm did not pay taxes most years, due to bad legal policy.  Add perhaps firms like Walmart, and Amazon itself, who pay most of their workers too little to avoid qualifying for welfare benefits.

clean

QuoteWe could start with people like zillionaire Jeff Bezos, whose firm did not pay taxes most years, due to bad legal policy

Teh "bad legal policy" is the tax loss carry forward.  Amazon lost A Lot of money in the beginning. They are not paying taxes now because the losses in the earlier years are offsetting the profits they make now.  The tax rules have recently changed, and I do not know the current set, but the last set was "back two or Forward 20".  That means that if a firm makes a loss this year, they can essentially file amended returns for the last 2 years to get a refund of the taxes they paid earlier and then they can carry those losses forward for up to 20 years.  (The new rules I can not remember are more restrictive).

So eventually, Amazon Will pay taxes once either they use up their tax losses Or time.

Of course, as Trump would spin it, Amazon pays plenty in property taxes, social security taxes, and unemployment taxes.

I dont know anything about Bezos income taxes, but in that a large chunk of his wealth is the value of the Amazon stock, are you suggesting that people should pay taxes on their unrealized gains?  Once he sells his shares, he will pay taxes.  Until then, there is nothing to pay taxes on. 

IF you want to change that, remember the ramifications of your actions.  IF you tax unrealized gains, what will that do to family farms?  What will that do to small business owners?  IF you own rental property, should you pay income taxes if the value of the property goes up?  Should you pay income taxes as the value of your own personal residence goes up (remember that inflation may be on the horizon, so you could be taxed simply as a result of the dollar deflating?)  And what about the elderly that purchased their houses 40 years ago, but are now on a fixed income?  Can they afford to pay income taxes on the value of their house?

Be careful what you wish for!  It is easy to get caught when you cast the net of 'fairness'. And dont forget that the ultra wealthy can afford to pay for the best experts to avoid taxes (legally). 

kaysixteen

I  just shipped off $60 this week to pay my annual auto excise tax on my 2007 Chevy.   IOW, I am paying a wealth tax, such as it is, and of course I still own the car.   Unrealized profit?

Wealth taxes are fine.   

kaysixteen

You are probably right about the lion's share of what Amazon corporate is doing with its US based income, offsetting earlier losses.   Where the sovereign right for them to be able to do that comes from, on the other hand....

And it still does not consider why we should let them pay so little that thousands of their employees qualify for public assistance programs.   There is literally no one in this country less deserving of any form of welfare than Jeff Bezos.