News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Department Meeting and/or Happy Hour

Started by Juvenal, April 04, 2020, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

My college is using a lot of Zoom, but someone suggested the department get together on Zoom for a Friday "Happy Hour."  It was moderately successful yesterday--everyone seemed to have a beverage, and some points of the first week back discussed.  I suppose this was not a flouting of the "no alcohol on campus" rule...

I'd imagine some places might actually set up a more formal Department Meeting if you had a time in the old "usual" when there was a Common Hour and all might be available at that time now.

Did your department/will your department do something like?
Cranky septuagenarian

zuzu_

I teach at a small CC, and there is a group of us (mostly faculty, but also some staff/admin) that go out for lunch every Friday. I send an email Friday morning announcing which restaurant we'll meet at. I have 20 people on the email list, but generally between 5-10 will end up meeting out any given week.

This Friday, I sent out a Zoom invite for lunchtime hangout, and 10 people showed up!

sinenomine

I'm hosting an optional weekly Zoom get-together for my department; half or more have been participating, and say they enjoy the socializing and lack of an agenda.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."