News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

catching Chegg cheaters

Started by centurion, April 27, 2020, 03:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: pepsi_alum on May 11, 2020, 09:35:25 PM
I'm sure that some of my students have leaked answers to sites like Chegg or Quizlet over the years. Honestly, I don't worry too much about it, because (1) I have large question pools that are randomized, (2) quizzes are worth at most 15% of the course grade in my classes and (3) at least in regular semesters, the quizzes are meant to be prepratory work for major exams and papers. If they cheat on quizzes, they aren't likely to do well on the major assignments.

I'd also add that universities have a responsibility to deal with cheating at an institutional level. When administrators (a) choose LMS platforms that lack secure quiz features, (b) don't provide access to software like Respondus Lockdown, or (c) allow students and parents to bully their way out of "minor" cheating charges, they contribute to that school's overall academic culture. And yes, I've been at pleaces where these things all happened.

This is the main reason there was so much cheating this semester. We were not allowed to use Respondus Lockdown OR webcams due to the coronavirus outbreak. Admins reasoned that students might only have phones to use, so we could not require Repondus, etc.

Normally, I give tests in class (face-to-face and not online), but this situation was a bit different.

Baldwinschild

Quote from: clean on April 30, 2020, 11:43:33 AM
Set exams so that they are in a short time frame and everyone takes it at the same time.  If no one has the exam before anyone else, and only has 75 minutes to answer the questions, (and add Examity or Respondis Monitor and Lock Down Browser) then there is no time and reduced ability  to post or search Chegg for answer.

My own class' textbook has a test bank. I have found the test bank has been turned into Flash Cards!!!
I am in finance, so I have taken the test bank questions and changed one number in every problem!  I have warned the classes that there are test banks available BUT that they should not learn the answers to those questions.  IF, on test day, they see the same answer that they found online, THAT is the ONE answer that they can be sure is wrong!  When there are "which of the following are correct?" questions, I have modified the original correct answer to be incorrect and fixed one that was not, to be correct now.  In addition, I have merged some of the questions so that there are now more than one correct answer and added "Both A & B" (for example) are correct, or None of the above is correct.  In some I didnt change anything other than add "none of the above or ""Both A & B" ... just so they do not think that IF they see that, it is the new correct answer.

So My suggestion is to take the advice given earlier.  Copy the answers from Chegg and punish anyone using them for 'plagiarism' at a minimum.  Otherwise, change your tests so that YOU reduce the opportunity to cheat.

Finally, Dont worry about student evaluations.  IF you have bad evaluations because you punish cheaters, then whoever looks at evaluations will reward and not punish you.  When evaluations are measured (in annual evaluations or tenure and promotion purposes), make sure that you highlight the comments about reducing cheating!

Finally, Finally, When classes resume, whether face to face or online, make it a point to point out your academic honesty policy on your syllabus. Make a big deal that you care not one bit about cheaters. What you care about are the honest students that the cheater is stealing from !  Someone cheating is stealing a degree and cheapening it from those that have actually learned the material and THAT you will NOT tollerate!

Good Luck!  Tow the Line!

I just posted a question today about what I believe to be brewing insurrection.  This is what started it.  I have always timed the online reading quizzes for precisely this reason.  They've always not liked it, but since the quizzes were doable within the time frame (with time to spare), they've just dealt with it. 

BUT, I got an email from a group of students at the start of the course this semester demanding that remove the time restrictions.  They said they have many commitments and need to be able to the take the ten-question quizzes in "spurts."  I said "nope."  I've had nothing but trouble since then. 

The problem is that they want time to google stuff or share answers via phone messages.  The timer is preventing this.  This tells me that the timed quizzes are, to some extent, a deterrent.  The fact that two students plagiarized afterwards anyway tells me it is nothing more than a deterrent. 

:(
"Silence were better."  -- Charles Chesnutt

clean

We also have the ability to use Respondus lock down Monitor.  It records them while they take the quiz. It also locks the screen so that they can not go somewhere else while in the quiz. It is not very good, but the thought that they are being recorded will keep them from blatantly cheating.   (the lockdown browser keeps them on the quiz and the video monitors if they try to use another device).

My university has a subscription, and it is free for the students to use. 

Not great, but it would reduce the problems (but not the complaints that you are keeping them from what YOU think in 'cheating'... I dont know what students think what they are doing is).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Baldwinschild

Quote from: clean on June 22, 2020, 06:38:24 PM
We also have the ability to use Respondus lock down Monitor.  It records them while they take the quiz. It also locks the screen so that they can not go somewhere else while in the quiz. It is not very good, but the thought that they are being recorded will keep them from blatantly cheating.   (the lockdown browser keeps them on the quiz and the video monitors if they try to use another device).

My university has a subscription, and it is free for the students to use. 

Not great, but it would reduce the problems (but not the complaints that you are keeping them from what YOU think in 'cheating'... I dont know what students think what they are doing is).

I had the lockdown browser on the last quiz just to test it out (we don't have the monitor).  Woke up to five emails telling me it was "not letting them in."  I just took it off.  Then they wanted extra time because they had been "locked out."  I said "but you we—never mind."  Gave them an extra day. 

I am getting worked over this semester. 
"Silence were better."  -- Charles Chesnutt

Anon1787

I don't know how long your reading quizzes take to complete, but if they do take a fair amount of time to complete then perhaps you could call their bluff and reduce the number of questions (and time limit accordingly) so that they can answer the questions in a "spurt."