News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Web Study Guide For Weekly Class Assignments

Started by HigherEd7, May 25, 2020, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

Curious to know if anyone has used the web study guide activities that come with the textbook as weekly assignments? I have been looking at the web study guide for one of my textbooks and it has some pretty good videos. Thoughts?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: HigherEd7 on May 25, 2020, 06:23:06 PM
Curious to know if anyone has used the web study guide activities that come with the textbook as weekly assignments? I have been looking at the web study guide for one of my textbooks and it has some pretty good videos. Thoughts?

How would you turn its videos into assignments?

More generally: I think it's better for students to have access to a wealth of examples and problem sets. That's why I don't use the materials that come with the textbook in my assessments: I worry that in doing so, I'd make it so that they don't have enough material to help themselves. Besides, it helps cut down on cheating to use problems of my own design.

But if you need to cut some corners to save time, I suppose that's a potential corner.
I know it's a genus.

HigherEd7

Great point most of the assignments I have seen come with videos for each chapter and questions students need to answer.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 25, 2020, 09:13:27 PM
Quote from: HigherEd7 on May 25, 2020, 06:23:06 PM

How would you turn its videos into assignments?

More generally: I think it's better for students to have access to a wealth of examples and problem sets. That's why I don't use the materials that come with the textbook in my assessments: I worry that in doing so, I'd make it so that they don't have enough material to help themselves. Besides, it helps cut down on cheating to use problems of my own design.

But if you need to cut some corners to save time, I suppose that's a potential corner.

mamselle

It probably depends in part on who did the development of the adjunctive packets.

I recall Octo used to speak of working on them for an accounting series, and I can't imagine they were anything but stellar, useful, and accurate.

But others may not be so careful.

So as with anything, the issue is not always whether to do something or not, but whether the resources support the endeavor at the level of quality you want to maintain, and how you use them.

I sometimes look over such materials in, say, French or Art History, and might get ideas or references from them, but wouldn't use them wholesale since I already know how I want the course to go.

And I always create my own PowerPoints (interthreadual reference... )!

M.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.