News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Group Project!

Started by HigherEd7, June 28, 2020, 03:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

What do you do when you have a group project and a couple of students dropped the course and now the groups are uneven? I do not think it would be fair to take someone from another group and place them in this group because they are already working on the project.

dismalist

Take group raw scores. Divide by number of people in group. Re-calibrate to your favorite scale, and assign to each individual. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

HigherEd7

Quote from: dismalist on June 28, 2020, 03:10:44 PM
Take group raw scores. Divide by number of people in group. Re-calibrate to your favorite scale, and assign to each individual. :-)

Thank you for the response; however, I am a little confused by your response. The groups have been working on the project since the first week of summer school and we have around 4 or 5 weeks to go. I do not want to make to many changes this late in the semester. SMH on this one.........

marshwiggle

Quote from: HigherEd7 on June 28, 2020, 03:15:29 PM

Thank you for the response; however, I am a little confused by your response. The groups have been working on the project since the first week of summer school and we have around 4 or 5 weeks to go. I do not want to make to many changes this late in the semester. SMH on this one.........

I'd bet the two who dropped the course hadn't contributed a lot to the group, so they won't be a big loss. Unless there's some important reason they need to be a specific size, I'd leave them as is.
It takes so little to be above average.

HigherEd7

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 28, 2020, 03:23:31 PM

I'd bet the two who dropped the course hadn't contributed a lot to the group, so they won't be a big loss. Unless there's some important reason they need to be a specific size, I'd leave them as is.

You bring up a great point! Thank you

dismalist

OK. Divide raw scores of groups by number of weeks students attended in each group. :-)

Marsh does have a great point. But then be prepared to defend the decision to ignore dropouts.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

We just did one.

The result is in a thread somewhere.

Who's going to grade it?

And we still haven't gotten the name order sorted out yet.

(Do we get extra credit if we get it accepted with a revise and resubmit?)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.