News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The One and Only

Started by Juvenal, June 09, 2019, 09:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

No idea, but suspect, there are not that many retired academics here, but I'll ask the question: Anyone who had the same academic job (same institution, I mean) for all of your career, hiring to retirement?  I was a stick-in-the-mud for a number of reasons, but will only mention, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good [enough]."  How long?  Well, counting the continuing adjuncting of a course most semesters since retirement, over fifty years.  Sigh.

Oh, also, if there are those who are not retired, but expect to sooner or later retire from their one and only academic position--feel free to comment on a) the virtues of immobility, and/or b) the vexations...
Cranky septuagenarian

paddington_bear

This fall will be my 20th (maybe 21st) year at Paddington U. I started here while I was finishing up my dissertation. I think that my university is circling the drain, so I'd like to get out of here. Better late than never, I suppose. My biggest regret is that I didn't leave here much sooner, when I was still probably moderately marketable. But I think that more likely I'll work here until I retire.  :( It wouldn't be terrible to stay here another 15 or so years, but I'd like not to.  When I came to Paddington U., most of the faculty in my department had been there forever (and that was a selling point). Due to many factors (the university itself, generational differences, etc.), however, we've had fewer and fewer "lifers."  (Obviously, of course, I'm grateful to have a job anywhere, blahblahblah.)

Ruralguy

Well, I have been here 20 years, and married another professor in another field. By the standards of our own school, I've been pretty good and she's been excellent. But, that's definitely not enough to cash in on for a job elsewhere, unless maybe it was a lesser school and/or administrative (my wife may go for that, but I don't think I even want to be a rotating chair again, let alone a Dean or whatever).  If our school survives another 15 years or so, I'll probably be retiring here, and bout 20-25 for my wife to retire here too.  Though I am not entirely sanguine, I do see the benefits to not having to interview in suit and tie on 100 degree days, not calling movers for another 20 years, and only really changing houses or towns if that's what we really want to do within the confines of having the same job. Also, to a point, time and knowledge =power, that is, if you want it to. So, if we stay, we have autonomy, some power over curriculum, research, service, etc. for others in addition to ourselves (I don't mean that in a mean way...I mean power, hopefully, to improve the situation).

Hegemony

I've been here since graduate school, which is nigh on 30 years.  Not for want of trying to get out, though.