News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Blackboard Question

Started by jerseyjay, May 04, 2021, 08:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyjay

For my classes, I am having the students do their final exams in Blackboard. (The exam consists of two essay questions.)

One student submitted a blank exam. This is not unheard of, and a failed the student.

The student emailed me saying that "I have been told by multiple professors that my submissions on blackboard are coming up blank." The student attached the essays to her email.

I realize there is a possibility that the student could be cheating (although given the fact that the students had a week to do the exam, I don't seem much point to this), and it is also possible that the student is doing something wrong in Blackboard.

However, I am curious if anybody has seen any such problem with Blackboard? Or is it most likely just some error on the student's part?

Langue_doc

Quote from: jerseyjay on May 04, 2021, 08:33:17 PM
For my classes, I am having the students do their final exams in Blackboard. (The exam consists of two essay questions.)

One student submitted a blank exam. This is not unheard of, and a failed the student.

The student emailed me saying that "I have been told by multiple professors that my submissions on blackboard are coming up blank." The student attached the essays to her email.

I realize there is a possibility that the student could be cheating (although given the fact that the students had a week to do the exam, I don't seem much point to this), and it is also possible that the student is doing something wrong in Blackboard.

However, I am curious if anybody has seen any such problem with Blackboard? Or is it most likely just some error on the student's part?

I would talk to a tech support person at your institution.

AvidReader

I have never had this issue in Blackboard (used at my previous school) but I have had this issue multiple times in Moodle this semester in particular. A student in my remedial class submitted a blank submission, but the class meets in person and I had watched Stu write the actual essay. It happened to the same student on two other occasions, but on both those occasions Stu knew to check the upload and caught the error in time to email me before the deadline.

Several other students had a similar issue on our timed midterm. In each case, their internet cut out and the counter for "time remaining" did not count down while they were disconnected, so the exam closed in the LMS while their computers still displayed time remaining. It showed them that they had time remaining (and allowed them to submit) but then wiped the submissions. Fortunately, I was monitoring submissions and we were able to resolve the issues quickly.

AR.