News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Online tool to compile grades when correcting?

Started by adel9216, July 28, 2021, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Hello,

does anyone have an online tool to compile grades of different assignments for students when correcting ? Maths aren't my strength, I want to make sure to not make any mistake.

ciao_yall

Quote from: adel9216 on July 28, 2021, 05:39:28 PM
Hello,

does anyone have an online tool to compile grades of different assignments for students when correcting ? Maths aren't my strength, I want to make sure to not make any mistake.

Like an Excel spreadsheet? You could probably use Google Sheets if you don't have Excel.

Parasaurolophus

Yes, Excel.

You have to know how to program the cells correctly, but that's not hard. And if you don't, just YouTube it.

Just be careful when you sort a spreadsheet. Always highlight all the cells you've filled out before you sort, or everything will get jumbled.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Hello,

The CMS can be irritating to use in various ways, but most of them have various things that let you use rubrics. The big advantage is that you don't have to move grades from a spreadsheet to the CMS system and introduce an extra source of error. It also means that students can see how the grades are being computed and if you make an error (which does happen to almost everyone eventually, no matter how careful you try to be) the students can see it and you can correct it.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on July 29, 2021, 05:12:29 AM
Hello,

The CMS can be irritating to use in various ways, but most of them have various things that let you use rubrics. The big advantage is that you don't have to move grades from a spreadsheet to the CMS system and introduce an extra source of error. It also means that students can see how the grades are being computed and if you make an error (which does happen to almost everyone eventually, no matter how careful you try to be) the students can see it and you can correct it.

But the CMS is much more limited than a spreadsheet, so if you want to do something like "drop the lowest two assignment grades" it may be virtually impossible.
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

There's also an increasingly widespread expectation that student grades are all on the CMS/LMS.

OP, if you have trouble calculating grades, you should keep your grading scheme simple. Then it is easier to put into the LMS and there is less confusion all round.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

cathwen

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 29, 2021, 05:23:21 AM
Hello,

But the CMS is much more limited than a spreadsheet, so if you want to do something like "drop the lowest two assignment grades" it may be virtually impossible.

Both Canvas and Blackboard allow you to set up grade categories where you can drop the lowest [x-number] of grades.

marshwiggle

Quote from: cathwen on July 29, 2021, 05:50:56 AM
Hello,

Both Canvas and Blackboard allow you to set up grade categories where you can drop the lowest [x-number] of grades.

That specific example may not apply to some CMS systems, but none of them are likely to have as much flexibility as a spreadsheet, in the same way that google spreadsheets don't have all the functionality of Excel, for instance. Many people on here have mentioned calculating grades in a spreadsheet and then exporting them to the CMS. I'd imagine that's usually because what they can do easily in the spreadsheet is too  complicated if not impossible in the CMS. (Also, the interface for entering formulas can be much more cumbersome that typing them into a spreadsheet.)
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

I second the "Excel first, export later" method.

CMS systems are wonky and time-consuming.

Also, there may be confidentiality issues with using some random online app....your IT folks might even have them blocked for security's sake.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 29, 2021, 06:16:49 AM
Quote from: cathwen on July 29, 2021, 05:50:56 AM
Hello,

That specific example may not apply to some CMS systems, but none of them are likely to have as much flexibility as a spreadsheet, in the same way that google spreadsheets don't have all the functionality of Excel, for instance. Many people on here have mentioned calculating grades in a spreadsheet and then exporting them to the CMS. I'd imagine that's usually because what they can do easily in the spreadsheet is too  complicated if not impossible in the CMS. (Also, the interface for entering formulas can be much more cumbersome that typing them into a spreadsheet.)

Yeah, it sort of depends on what you are doing and your facility with excel. If, like me, your excel skills are fairly rudimentary, and you aren't doing anything too complicated, it might be easier to just use the CMS. If you are good with excel, it probably makes sense to use it and import rather than having to deal with clunkier software you aren't as familiar with.

adel9216

mamselle

Not hard to learn, kinda fun, albeit quirky, and does those sums in a flash.

Have at it!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: mamselle on July 30, 2021, 06:42:11 AM
Not hard to learn, kinda fun, albeit quirky, and does those sums in a flash.

Have at it!

M.

That's true, but I suspect Adel might find it simpler and easier to just use the CMS.