News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Later Year Graduate Students Grading Graduate Students?

Started by financeguy, September 28, 2021, 09:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

financeguy

What's the culture in your field or at your institution for later year graduate student TAs to grade graduate papers?
I'm not referring to tutoring, or giving the remedial or review course for those with deficiencies prior to undertaking the general material. I'm obviously not referring to issuing a final grade, but grading individual assignments, including those that "count." To be honest, I didn't know this was a thing until speaking to a colleague. Is this a cultural "norm," an unusual practice, a cultural "no" or even an accreditation issue?

EdnaMode

I'm in engineering and when I was working on my PhD I taught Masters level courses, did all the grading for them, was the sole person responsible for the course. I was not regular faculty, I was a TA. It was a course that, on occasion, had doctorate students in it too. But keep in mind that I had years of industry experience between my Masters and my PhD, and the course I was teaching was on a topic that I had regularly done at my industry job. There were a few other TAs who also taught graduate courses, and many who were at least responsible for some of the grading.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Parasaurolophus

At my PhD institution, this was only allowed for formal logic.

If we're talking about research papers, then that seems like abrogation of responsibility on the faculty member's part.
I know it's a genus.

namazu

Do you count problem sets, exams, etc.?  If so, in my field, it's extremely common.

I'm in a STEM discipline that doesn't have a unique corresponding undergraduate major, and in which many students work before attending grad school.  Thus, there tend to be large lecture courses and labs with problem sets for first-year grad students to introduce material and to get students with a variety of backgrounds on the same page.

Classes requiring papers tend to be smaller/more advanced and are also less likely to have extensive TA support, so papers are more likely to be graded by regular faculty. Still, it wouldn't shock me if some papers in some courses were occasionally graded by TAs.