News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

So it begins... the fall semester thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, August 16, 2022, 08:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

I think I'm within a few days of being ready for my classes. I've been working hard on updating lesson plans for a class I haven't taught in 4 years but am looking forward to teaching again. I'll actually get to teach some poetry! Due to the remodeling crew here redoing the bathroom, I've been trapped in the home office for several days, and except for when Mr. Larimar can be here, will be trapped until... well, until the remodelers finish. This means my productivity with class prep has been good, but it's been really hard on the cats. Departmental meeting is tomorrow. Luckily Mr. Larimar can be home before I have to leave for it.

mamselle

Send the cats to the department meeting...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

Quote from: mamselle on August 17, 2022, 10:41:24 AM

M.

I think we should make that a standing suggestion

AmLitHist

This is service week for me (after teaching online through July 31). I went on campus yesterday for 3 meetings and was toast by the end of it; I'd thought I was in pretty good shape post-op (late May), but between traipsing between buildings and sitting in uncomfortable chairs, I was stiff and hurting. 

Classes start Monday for my 3 full-semester sections; Canvas opens Friday for students.  I have all my online sections ready to roll (one is second-8 weeks; the others are 12 weeks).  Right now I'm scrambling to get the virtual lecture and F2F sections' syllabi and schedules done.  I should've already had them done.

darkstarrynight

You can throw something at me (candy maybe?) since I am on sabbatical this Fall. Yesterday I complained to my spouse that I already feel behind on my primary project, and hu yelled back, "It's your sabbatical! You put too much pressure on yourself!" I found this to be slightly comforting as I feel I am slacking too much. I have my primary project underway (which technically started a few years ago), plus a research fellowship with a time-limited project between now and December as well that overlaps it, and a few additional manuscripts in progress. I am also finalizing a book proposal due at the end of the month, so I feel sufficiently busy without the stress of preparing for and teaching classes. I probably "did this wrong" since I teach more classes in Spring than I do in Fall, but I definitely could not wait another semester for this opportunity. I also helped the two folks teaching my Fall classes set the courses up in the LMS.

Larimar

Quote from: RatGuy on August 17, 2022, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: mamselle on August 17, 2022, 10:41:24 AM

M.

I think we should make that a standing suggestion

LOL! That would very much improve any faculty meeting!

mamselle

I'm surprised, though, that RAT-guy wants cats at a meeting.

Unless he figures he'll outrun them...

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

I start on Monday and I'm mostly ready. I also had a fairly productive summer, despite taking a good deal of time for vacation (and some work-related travel). And I am looking forward to getting back in the classroom, I suppose, but wouldn't mind another week to just chill out.

AmLitHist

We're three days into the new semester!  It's going great so far; I'm actually enjoying my classes so far (which is much different from recent semesters). I hope I can keep the attitude going and continue looking forward to teaching, rather than dreading it.

I played some Motown on Teams while waiting for today's virtual class to start, and some of my students had their cameras on and staged a group dance!

paddington_bear

How is it only the middle of the first week??!!

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 24, 2022, 01:15:40 PM
We're three days into the new semester!  It's going great so far; I'm actually enjoying my classes so far (which is much different from recent semesters). I hope I can keep the attitude going and continue looking forward to teaching, rather than dreading it.

I played some Motown on Teams while waiting for today's virtual class to start, and some of my students had their cameras on and staged a group dance!

Awwwright!

M.

FishProf

A week out and my assigned courses have doubled.

So much for discharging extra credits....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

Apparently we've now updated to state-of-the-art registration software, which means that waitlists are now entirely automated.

That means I'm no longer in charge of denying international students their study permits. Thank fuck.
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 24, 2022, 03:57:51 PM
Apparently we've now updated to state-of-the-art registration software, which means that waitlists are now entirely automated.

That means I'm no longer in charge of denying international students their study permits. Thank fuck.

I am SO GLAD that our waitlists are automated.  I have over 100 students on the waitlist for a nonmajors class. Most won't care if they get in or not, but the ones who do care email me enough as is.

They weren't at my last job and it was a miserable chunk of my time to deal with them.  I can now tell students "I cannot add you. Wait for an email from the Registrar".

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 24, 2022, 04:07:42 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 24, 2022, 03:57:51 PM

I am SO GLAD that our waitlists are automated.  I have over 100 students on the waitlist for a nonmajors class. Most won't care if they get in or not, but the ones who do care email me enough as is.

They weren't at my last job and it was a miserable chunk of my time to deal with them.  I can now tell students "I cannot add you. Wait for an email from the Registrar".

OMFG,  no kidding! Mine were routinely 70 students long, for courses capped at 35, times four courses a semester. And they'd send me several emails literally begging to be let in.

Honestly, it was a huge contributor to my dislike of this job. My quality of life will now improve dramatically!
I know it's a genus.