News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Anyone use Tutor.com?

Started by AmLitHist, January 27, 2023, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

The latest greatest purchase by our illustrious administration--completely unilaterally, with no input from our existing Writing Centers, tutoring services, or faculty/departments, so far as anyone can tell--has been to include a link to Tutors.com in every Canvas section this semester. 

I've heard from a number of colleagues over recent years whose schools have provided this support for students, and I've yet to hear anything good about tutors.com--ranging from complaints of "poor/uneven quality" of feedback, suggestions, and tutoring in English comp to outright misinformation/incorrect tutoring and teaching of concepts in trig and calculus.

I've already (accidentally, of course--ahem) removed the links to this service from my Canvas classes, based both on what I've heard from other faculty and on my strong support for and appreciation of our existing in-house academic support services. Plus, the way in which this service was adopted--without even so much as an announcement at the beginning of the semester, when every other blessed hare-brained idea gets massive publicity, multiple email announcements, and such--simply adds to my cynicism and suspicion and disinclination refusal to promote it to my students.

Any comments on your experiences with the services (or my misgivings about the adoption, for that matter) would be welcome.