Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

If their phone is working, can't it be tethered to the computer as a hotspot?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Not sure if this is a head-bang or a vent.

I took over a class last-minute in Week 2 of the term due to a colleague leaving sooner than expected.  I was told that the class was "entirely ready to-go".  What I wasn't told is that half the materials are no longer available (broken links), the learning goals don't match with the assignments, the assignments don't match the materials, and students were straight up told that attendance is optional. It's just a mess.

But, as it's not my class, I have to just roll with it and only fix the most glaring issues.

evil_physics_witchcraft

That sucks, the_geneticist.

In other news, I have received several emails from students regarding 'what's on the test.' 'What's on the test' is clearly outlined in the syllabus. I need to find a tactful way to saying this. Any suggestions?

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 22, 2020, 04:12:24 PM

In other news, I have received several emails from students regarding 'what's on the test.' 'What's on the test' is clearly outlined in the syllabus. I need to find a tactful way to saying this. Any suggestions?

See The Syllabus.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Dear Student,
Thank you for your email.  Please read the syllabus for what will be on your exam.
Dr. Evil_Physics_Witchcraft

evil_physics_witchcraft

Well, it's the end of the semester and the stress levels are high. Student #3 emailed me about 3 hours ago. I've been busy since then and just got back to my computer and see... another email from Student #3 with the same questions. Oh, and Student #3 is responding to an email from July 7th.

Sigh. I know they're all freaking out, but for the love of all that is holy, they need to take some chill pills.

mythbuster

I hate it when students think I'm stupid or unobservant. It's the end of my Writing in Science class. The last assignment is to revise their paper based on the extensive feedback given my myself and their peers. Students were warned that my primary criteria for the grade would be "evidence of revision". I even suggest students include a cover note detailing their revisions. 
    One student revised her title (fixed the typos only) and added one sentence to the abstract. All the typos in the body? or suggestions of places to expand her analysis?, or any of the myriad other needed fixes? Totally ignored. So her grade on the paper is now the only one that has dropped. I put good odds on a whiny email at the end of the semester about this.

Caracal

I've found that "review sheets" are helpful. The review sheet is nothing but a listing of the topics and readings we covered taken off the syllabus.  It takes about 2 minutes to put together. For some reason, students seem to like this and I don't get those questions.

sprout

Quote from: Caracal on July 29, 2020, 12:44:45 PM

I've found that "review sheets" are helpful. The review sheet is nothing but a listing of the topics and readings we covered taken off the syllabus.  It takes about 2 minutes to put together. For some reason, students seem to like this and I don't get those questions.

Posted to the Jedi mind tricks thread.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Caracal on July 29, 2020, 12:44:45 PM

I usually post topics on the board, but since we've been online I sort of forgot... I plan to prepare a few review pdfs for next semester.

Diogenes

So I just accidentally brushed the ESC key (I think) and lost a Canvas message to a student that took 20 minutes to draft. It just disappeared *poof*

WHY CANT THEY AUTOSAVE OR AT LEAST HAVE MORE SAFEGUARDS!?!?!?!?!?

polly_mer

Quote from: Diogenes on July 30, 2020, 06:12:16 PM
So I just accidentally brushed the ESC key (I think) and lost a Canvas message to a student that took 20 minutes to draft. It just disappeared *poof*

WHY CANT THEY AUTOSAVE OR AT LEAST HAVE MORE SAFEGUARDS!?!?!?!?!?

I draft a lot of things in a non-online program and then cut-and-paste after a couple experiences like that.  I have no idea why more portals don't autosave, but it's annoyingly common.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Yeah, I type up everything in another program (MSW, or a text program), or do a "select all" if it's getting long, and copy it to paste into an email to myself as a form of backup, for the same reason.

It's truly maddening.

M.

P.S. Sometimes for forum posts I've discovered I can use the back arrow on the page to get the frame back with the text in it. But not always... - M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

This one's a real gem.

I had a student take a final exam... on a plane because family bought surprise tickets to <insert special Florida vacation spot>. Student had to turn off the lockdown and webcam.

Hmm....

evil_physics_witchcraft

Student who took only one test (but didn't turn in any answers) out of four and did not take the final wants to 'talk.'