News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

No office? Tips for student meetings and paper storage.

Started by polly_mer, May 23, 2019, 08:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on June 24, 2019, 11:28:22 PM

From the new forum's 'Adjunct Support' by Polly_Mer, which, not surprisingly (to me at least) is already a ghost thread.

By request, I started an Adjunct Support thread.  I encourage you, Mahagonny, to start any threads you think would be worthy of discussion and would be supportive in the way you want to be supportive in any areas that concern you.

You are fully empowered to start discussions and gather support for your views and interests.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on June 25, 2019, 07:03:00 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on June 24, 2019, 11:28:22 PM

From the new forum's 'Adjunct Support' by Polly_Mer, which, not surprisingly (to me at least) is already a ghost thread.

By request, I started an Adjunct Support thread.  I encourage you, Mahagonny, to start any threads you think would be worthy of discussion and would be supportive in the way you want to be supportive in any areas that concern you.

You are fully empowered to start discussions and gather support for your views and interests.

By request, I ventured on to this forum. By request, you posted an adjunct support thread. By request, Donald Trump is POTUS. Get over it, people! Hee hee.
OK thanks for the nice welcome Polly_Mer.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on June 24, 2019, 12:57:25 PM
Quote from: Caracal on June 23, 2019, 09:52:26 AM
Slightly off topic for this post, but office space is one of those things that is incredibly important in terms of working conditions. I've been lucky enough to always adjunct at places that always at least gave me a shared office and it has always made me feel much better about my job. It gives me a home base on campus, being able to go in early and get work done, having a place to put my stuff. It also has less tangible benefits. I've become friends with a few permanent faculty members just because they have offices next to me or I see them in the hall.

Bravo! But does anyone here want to have a conversation about faculty work conditions? Be advised, there will be work involved.

I've started the thread to discuss at https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=221 .  Everyone who is interested in productive discussion to start down the work path is welcome on that thread.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Advice to adjunct faculty who are fortunate enough to get their own small office (yes, it has been known to happen). Avoid using your door as a billboard for self-expression. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose. Suppose your portrait or favorite quotation from one of your heroes and other items that keep you inspired come across as weird? You'll lose the room. Suppose you come across as too self-promoting? Same result. You are not there to be noteworthy. That's for the cool people.
When the chair or dean walks down the hall, they would like things to look a certain way. That result requires nothing from you.
I almost didn't have the heart to post this, but stark as it is, it's accurate.