News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Tax Man Cometh!

Started by hmaria1609, January 30, 2020, 07:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

And don't think that the electronic filers are having a better time of it. I'm dealing with a state taxing agency who, despite the automation of e-filing returns, can't seem to do anything right.   Dealing with this and reading about unreliable and slow postal services makes me feel like I'm living in a 3rd-world country.

kaysixteen

Anyone ever have experience with having year 1's refund not yet received when you have then also filed year 2's?   I am really hoping this does not mess up  my account with the IRS more than it obviously already is.   I do think I did ultimately file the correct paperwork to fix the 2019 error, back in Dec.  when they finally got round to telling me about it(error will be in my favor), but I do not know.   I also remain highly skeptical wrt the efficacy of the free online fed tax filing service I used this year...

kaysixteen

An update of sorts... I just yesterday got, in paper form, my $1400 stim check.  I have however not gotten refunds for either 2019 or 2020, the latter of which will also include the $600 from December.   I have thus decided to bite the bullet and call the IRS monday.   Any suggestions as to how to talk with them?

clean

QuoteAny suggestions as to how to talk with them?

Politely and pleadingly.

Suggest that you need someone who knows the system and can help you navigate this long standing problem.

"I am so happy that I got an expert on these types of problems'
"I know that YOU can help me!"
"You can resolve this problem for me, FINALLY, because you are so knowledgeable about the system"

I doubt that they get many ego boosts, and if you can get them to be your advocate to even the slightest degree it will help a lot.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

fleabite

The IRS is deeply underfunded, which is why it is taking so long for them to handle more complex issues (not to mention the months they didn't have access to returns during the pandemic). They also had a lot of extra work associated with the stimulus payments.

mamselle

And anything sent via USPS from anyplace in the south is still taking forever to get anywhere else.

So while a processing office might be in your state, the checks might be cut and mailed from somewhere else.

The N/P I continue to assist with is STILL waiting for bank materials to arrive, they're taking 3 weeks minimum to go from point A to point B.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

Quote from: lightning on May 11, 2021, 02:01:50 AM
TurboTax 2020 (client software) is not compatible with the OS on my 5-year-old MacBook Air (OS upgraded as far as it can on my old MacBook Air), so I was forced to do online TurboTax. I didn't have time to do a workaround.

F**k turbotax. It seems that turbotax thinks a five year old MAC with the highest version of High Sierra is not worthy of their turbotax 2020 software. Now that I have more advanced notice of their douchebaggery, I'm looking at other options for 2021. Does anyone use the H&R Block software? Is anyone happy with it?

I had someone look over my tax return that turbotax generated. I overpaid my tax. It's really not that much, but I paid a lot of money to turbotax for making sure that my return was accurate. I'm filing an amended return. F**k turbotax.

Anselm

I just got my refund last week.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

jimbogumbo

I still have not received my Federal or State refund.

hmaria1609

*Bump*
Tax season is underway! Filing deadline is April 18th.

AARP is providing in person tax prep help by appointment only this year.

clean

spring break approaches.  That means that it is nearing time to buy my copy of TurboTax.  As I have to wait for the damned K1 forms that are not even mailed before 3/15, there is no real rush to try to get the taxes done. 
.  )

ab_grp

I started my pre-accountant tax analysis but need to get that done so we can get the packet to her next week.  But no K1 for us this year, thank goodness! And I am very grateful to myself for sending myself an email last year with details about municipal and US territory and government obligations and where to find them in the consolidated investment forms.

sinenomine

The CPA had my taxes done early last month. Oddly, I owed the exact same amount to both the state and the feds. Never had that happen before.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

clean

April Looms and I have not even purchased TurboTax yet!

My computer hard drive died in January, so I might have lost some of last year's information. I hope not, but it is possible that I will have to reenter the information to make the program run.  I am not looking forward to it!

My bride is a very small party to a family limited partnership, so I am also waiting for the K1 to be done so that I can begin to think about doing the taxes.  I can certainly do other sections and return to that once I get the forms from my father in law.

HOW are you coming on YOUR taxes??  Any progress?  have you already got the refund spent?  (did you get the check first, or just spend it in anticipation of the money hitting the account?)

Puget

Quote from: clean on March 30, 2022, 12:27:13 PM
April Looms and I have not even purchased TurboTax yet!

My computer hard drive died in January, so I might have lost some of last year's information. I hope not, but it is possible that I will have to reenter the information to make the program run.  I am not looking forward to it!

My bride is a very small party to a family limited partnership, so I am also waiting for the K1 to be done so that I can begin to think about doing the taxes.  I can certainly do other sections and return to that once I get the forms from my father in law.

HOW are you coming on YOUR taxes??  Any progress?  have you already got the refund spent?  (did you get the check first, or just spend it in anticipation of the money hitting the account?)

Thanks for the reminder/motivation-- I need to do this soon.

So far I've downloaded my W2 (my employer does not mail them any more). Like your wife, I also have a share in a small family limited partnership-- my dad is on top of things and already sent me K1. I need to download tax forms from the bank and gather up the various things for itemization (from a societal standpoint I think it's nuts how tax advantaged owning a home is vs. renting, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to take advantage of that mortgage interest deduction!).

I just use the free fillable forms on the IRS website. It does the math for you, and I use last year's forms as a guide. I actually think it is faster for me than answering a bazillion questions in tax prep software though I'm sure for folks with much more complex returns that isn't true.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes