Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 18731 times)

Sun_Worshiper

Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
Mother

South Korean thriller from Bong Joon-ho (director of Parasite) about a mother who goes to extreme lengths to prove that her mentally challenged son was wrongly convicted of murder. The film starts slow, but it becomes extremely captivating once it gets going. There are lots of twists, turns, and misdirects that all worked on me and the ending is absolutely devastating. This is really brilliant and I highly recommend, but keep in mind that the first hour is slow and so you have to stick with it.

Grade: A

Thanks! Definitely putting this on the list, and thanks for the tip about the first hour.  We thought Parasite was one of the best movies in years and enjoyed Snowpiercer as well (though that one seems to polarize people for some reason).

Glad to share! Let me know how you like it.

I'm also looking forward to watching Memories of Murder, another Boon Joon-ho movie, which is on Hulu (as is Mother).

Will do! We watch on DVD or Blu-ray, and I see that there is a three-pack of his movies available on Amazon (Mother, The Host, Barking Dogs Never Bite), so I might pick that up and check those others out as well.

The Host is good, although not the caliber of Parasite or Mother (imo). I haven't seen Barking Dogs Never Bite, but it gets good reviews and is about an academic, so I've added it to my to-watch list.

ab_grp

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 7,653
Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2021, 12:01:04 PM »
We watched Greenland last night (with Gerard Butler).  It was okay, nothing too special.  The story focuses on a comet that has lots of fragments that may or may not hit the earth.  It is very predictable overall, and there are plenty of obvious foreshadowing events.  We thought that the way they portrayed the logistical nightmare of preparing for possible impact was one of the better aspects of the movie.  It must be very stressful to have to try to function in such an environment.  I do wish they had avoided some of the usual tropes of those types of movies.  It was reasonably entertaining, though, and Scott Glenn was an asset with too little screen time.  It sounds as though a sequel may be in the works, but I wouldn't run right out to see it.  We gave it around a 6.5 out of 10, which seems to agree with the IMDB average pretty well.