Author Topic: the "things you wish you could say" thread  (Read 81124 times)

fishbrains

Re: the "things you wish you could say" thread
« Reply #1095 on: July 19, 2021, 11:47:50 AM »
Why, given my institution’s repeated statements about the importance of a work/life balance, have I gotten at least a dozen emails from administration on a Sunday?

Not an adminicritter, but since COVID hit, my best day to work and send out emails requiring actual thought on my part is Sunday. Kids are busy, wife is busy, house is quiet, etc. I don't expect anyone to respond to me on a Sunday, though. Fridays and Saturdays have been the new weekends for me; the rest is kind of just Blursday.

Alas, that's about to change in a couple of weeks.

This might be the best time for you to do it, but since you don't expect an immediate response, why send it at that time?

My sister-in-law has similar work habits, tackling tricky stuff in the evening or on weekends. But she sets the emails about them to send automatically at 9:00 a.m. the next working day. (She works for a large non-profit, not academic.) She does this in order not to imply to her team that she expects them to work on those emails outside of their scheduled hours.

I recommend the practice. It gets the stuff off of her mental checklist, gets it done when she wants, and doesn't pressure anybody. It also implicitly set boundaries on the length of the work day.

Basically, I'm not really in a position where anyone would care so much about an email I sent that they would feel pressured by it. 
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dr_codex

• This time, it's personal
« Reply #1096 on: July 19, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
Why, given my institution’s repeated statements about the importance of a work/life balance, have I gotten at least a dozen emails from administration on a Sunday?

Not an adminicritter, but since COVID hit, my best day to work and send out emails requiring actual thought on my part is Sunday. Kids are busy, wife is busy, house is quiet, etc. I don't expect anyone to respond to me on a Sunday, though. Fridays and Saturdays have been the new weekends for me; the rest is kind of just Blursday.

Alas, that's about to change in a couple of weeks.

This might be the best time for you to do it, but since you don't expect an immediate response, why send it at that time?

My sister-in-law has similar work habits, tackling tricky stuff in the evening or on weekends. But she sets the emails about them to send automatically at 9:00 a.m. the next working day. (She works for a large non-profit, not academic.) She does this in order not to imply to her team that she expects them to work on those emails outside of their scheduled hours.

I recommend the practice. It gets the stuff off of her mental checklist, gets it done when she wants, and doesn't pressure anybody. It also implicitly set boundaries on the length of the work day.

Basically, I'm not really in a position where anyone would care so much about an email I sent that they would feel pressured by it.

Fair enough. I guess what I was proposing was a solution to Sinenomine's issue: queue up the emails, but have them actually go out on Monday at 9:00 a.m.
back to the books.

dr_codex

• This time, it's personal
« Reply #1097 on: July 20, 2021, 06:52:28 AM »
[Unrelated]

If you aren't on the clock, get out of the way. I'm the one who's going to have to execute whatever is decided; your input is not welcome.
back to the books.

fishbrains

« Reply #1098 on: July 22, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »
We are just little Humanities people doing our thing on the far edge of the campus. 95% of the time, it's a good thing that admins don't really travel this way very often. Don't f*ck it up. A few extra one-time dollars isn't worth it.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

AmLitHist

« Reply #1099 on: July 22, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »
We are just little Humanities people doing our thing on the far edge of the campus. 95% of the time, it's a good thing that admins don't really travel this way very often. Don't f*ck it up. A few extra one-time dollars isn't worth it.

Amen.  Being off the radar is not necessarily a bad place to be for us in the humanities these days.

Stockmann

« Reply #1100 on: July 22, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »
I'm sorry you're poorly, maybe you could ask your two oldest kids for help - oh, that's right, you abandoned both of them, one of them you don't know if he's even alive and the other one keeps you at arms' length. Yeah, I get you were a kid yourself, but so was my wife, and she was one of the people who picked up the pieces of the mess you and the babydaddy made, and she was most certainly not responsible for any of it. Given all that, I find you now turning to my wife cap-in-hand morally repulsive - she already shouldered a very heavy load she wasn't responsible for partly because of you. She does not and has never had any obligations towards you. Do you have no shame, turning to her (and, indirectly, to me) for help?

apl68

• Distinguished Senior Member
« Reply #1101 on: Today at 08:40:06 AM »
Amen.  Being off the radar is not necessarily a bad place to be for us in the humanities these days.

It can be comforting for those of us in the library business at times too.  Then again, it's not good that we seem also to have fallen off the radars of most of our potential patrons.
Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on Earth, where they can decay or be stolen.  Lay up treasures for yourselves in Heaven, where there is no decay or theft.  Where your treasure is, you heart will be also.

You can't take it with you.  You can only send it on ahead.