News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spam! Starting Mandatory “First Post” Approval

Started by eigen, May 31, 2019, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

Welcome, EquineUlcers.  (That does not sound as good as it should.)

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

galactic_hedgehog

polly_mer

Quote from: galactic_hedgehog on April 28, 2020, 05:46:08 AM
So, what is this place, exactly?

Just a big ol' faculty meeting in which the same discussions are had repeatedly, the usual know-it-alls state their pieces at length even after attempts to hush by those who are tired, and the clowns in the back of the room pretend they aren't really part of it and it's just an accident that they happen to have ended up here.

How've you been?

tumnusethic

Greetings!
I'm a new, late arrival from the old fora. Generally only mildly active.
Thanks to all for everything you do to make this community work.

polly_mer

galactic_hedgehog

Quote from: polly_mer on April 28, 2020, 08:17:52 AM
Quote from: galactic_hedgehog on April 28, 2020, 05:46:08 AM
So, what is this place, exactly?

Just a big ol' faculty meeting in which the same discussions are had repeatedly, the usual know-it-alls state their pieces at length even after attempts to hush by those who are tired, and the clowns in the back of the room pretend they aren't really part of it and it's just an accident that they happen to have ended up here.

Clowns, eh?  I'll fit right back in.

How've you been?

Oh, the usual.  Baking and eating way too many cookies.  Avoiding grading 'til after the last minute.  Trying to avoid any type of committee work.  HP is now a grumpy teenager looking at colleges (she wants to get away from us, that's all she'll tell us).

polly_mer

Quote from: galactic_hedgehog on April 29, 2020, 06:11:03 PM

Oh, the usual.  Baking and eating way too many cookies.  Avoiding grading 'til after the last minute.  Trying to avoid any type of committee work.  HP is now a grumpy teenager looking at colleges (she wants to get away from us, that's all she'll tell us).

You gonna share any of those cookies or do I have to stage a raid?

(You can keep the grading.  I don't miss that part of teaching at all.)

Penna

Greetings!  I used to lurk the old CHE forums years ago but never made an account.  With all the pandemic uncertainty and anxiety right now, I wanted to join so I can get an "on the ground" sense of how other institutions are handling things and hopefully also find some support.  I look forward to participating :-)

Cheerful

Welcome Pensive Penguin!

Waddle on in and post away!

Penna

Thanks for the welcome, Cheerful!

I'm still somewhat new to forums in general--is there a dedicated thread for new users other than this one?  Or what would anyone suggest as a good thread for just starting out with general socializing/getting to know folks around here a bit?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Pensive Penguin on April 30, 2020, 11:48:32 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Cheerful!

I'm still somewhat new to forums in general--is there a dedicated thread for new users other than this one?  Or what would anyone suggest as a good thread for just starting out with general socializing/getting to know folks around here a bit?

Not really. But if you want to start out slow, just start with the more general threads--games, song in your head, venting, herding cats, birds, water cooler, post for stuff, favourite student emails, etc., and slowly expand from there when topics catch your interest.
I know it's a genus.

Penna

Thanks, Paras.  I will definitely check out some of those lighter threads!

theblackbox

Hi there. First post on this site, but I used the CHE forums a bit back when I was first on the job market. (Same username.) I'm now tenured and in faculty governance so I'm keen to stay in touch with faculty outside my university and get a broader range of perspectives on our challenges, both shared and unique ones. Thanks!