News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Question about bluebirds.  They are around, and I saw them going into their box a few weeks ago, but haven't really seen them since.  Then I saw half an egg shell on the ground near the box, and think it might be a bluebird shell, unless it's  robin's shell from a nest higher in the tree that I cannot spot.  I put out water and (dead) meal worms.  Should I empty the nest from the box or leave it alone.  I have not touched the box in several years, since I cleaned it out because of yucky ants crawling in.  The nest seems to be empty.  Your thoughts, please?

apl68

Just learned that somebody I know has a pair of indigo buntings nesting around their yard.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on April 29, 2021, 09:05:31 AM
Just learned that somebody I know has a pair of indigo buntings nesting around their yard.

Drooling with envy.  We used to see them in this area, but not for many years.

cathwen

My iPad "wallpaper" is of an indigo bunting perched on a branch of our dogwood tree.  The photo was taken years ago; I haven't seen an indigo bunting since, although I used to see them every once in a while.  They are so beautiful!  And yes, I envy your neighbor, too, apl68.

mamselle

Quote from: nebo113 on April 29, 2021, 08:08:17 AM
Question about bluebirds.  They are around, and I saw them going into their box a few weeks ago, but haven't really seen them since.  Then I saw half an egg shell on the ground near the box, and think it might be a bluebird shell, unless it's  robin's shell from a nest higher in the tree that I cannot spot.  I put out water and (dead) meal worms.  Should I empty the nest from the box or leave it alone.  I have not touched the box in several years, since I cleaned it out because of yucky ants crawling in.  The nest seems to be empty.  Your thoughts, please?

The Anglican sister who wrote about bluebirds was a rehabilitator and (I think) used to have a website on them.

The injured bird whose care and breeding she documented was the sole survivor of a blue jay attack on the nest of 4 hatchlings she'd been studying, as I recall.

So, they do become fodder for ther creatures, sorry to say.

My sense was that human smells put them off, and interventions may be observed and keep them away. So I don't know about cleaning the nest...animals are more tolerant of some kinds of mess than we are.

But I don't know for sure, it might be best to contact a nearby state park with a bird/animal rehabilitation program and ask them.

If they're doing a census or narrative study, they might also be interested in whatever your observations were.

An Audubon Society regional group might also be useful as a resource.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

This could also go under the venting thread. I'm taking care of a farm right now, and as I walked through the barn this morning, a bird crapped on my head. Not a great way to start the day, running in to quickly wash my hair under the kitchen tap before continuing chores!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

nebo113

Quote from: sinenomine on May 05, 2021, 03:05:43 AM
This could also go under the venting thread. I'm taking care of a farm right now, and as I walked through the barn this morning, a bird crapped on my head. Not a great way to start the day, running in to quickly wash my hair under the kitchen tap before continuing chores!

Oh dear.

Yesterday, I ventured out to a grocery store with a vaulted overhang.  Lots of chirping birds hanging out under it.  I looked up, then quickly thought about the possible consequences.....and looked down!

Langue_doc

A couple of ospreys circling overhead, on the parkway near a large lake. It was stop-and-go traffic, so I had a good view of the birds which helped with the identification. There were other large birds of prey flying across the parkway on other stretches along the shore but didn't dare take my eyes off the road as traffic was moving at the normal speed.

evil_physics_witchcraft

The cardinal family has raised another brood. I saw a female feeding fledglings suet from the feeder this morning.

apl68

Indigo bunting sighted in my parents' yard.  They've had them before.

I haven't seen them around my house so far this season.  Maybe after I mow my yard they'll be among the birds attracted by the post-mowing bug buffet.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I thi-i-i-nk I saw the kingfisher that sometimes hangs out along the brook near the road near my place.

It was on a low-hanging branch midway downstream, so a bit far to see for certain.

I know I've heard it before there, and the ghoulish, Jurassic-Park-raptor-like cry that so terrified me one night,  as he flew under the bridge, leads me to feel justified in, literally, calling it one of his "haunts."

But the bird was enjoying the cool shade under the trees, so I can't be positive.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

While walking to lunch I saw a light-colored bird fly over and perch on a car antenna.  The lighting was such that I saw the bird well before I saw the antenna.  It looked like the bird was perching on thin air.

Charlotte

I have a question for anyone who might know:

I have a nest at my house that is occupied by robins every year. Do robins return to the same nest yearly or are these different robins nesting here every year?

FishProf

They will reuse nests, or at least successful nest sites.  They may reline or build atop an old nest.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

waterboy

Had our first ever rose-breasted grosbeak.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."