News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

OMG, just 5 minutes ago, a hawk (broad-shouldered?) ate a late lunch in our front yard. It took about 3 minutes to shred and scarf down some kind of rodent, then it took off across the street. Fast food anyone?

Morden

The owlets in our front tree were hopping around the branches last night. Lots of wing flapping, but no flying (yet).

nebo113

I feel as if I am channeling Cruella Deville.  Although porch plants and rocking chairs await us on the back porch, it's been a tad cool for porch sitting.  I secluded a lovely oxalis toward the wall and between two chairs, to shelter it from any cool nights.  Yesterday, I snipped off old growth.

Today, two happy wrens were building a charming nest in it.   Next week, porch sitting will commence.

Porch sitting and wren nesting are not compatible.

I moved the oxalis to the railing.

Wrens fly happily to the top of the rocking chair.  Oxalis and nest gone.

Even if they find the oxalis by the rail, the location is far from idea.  Sigh.....

OTOH:  Wrens nesting happily on front porch, in container hanging from the eave.

cathwen

I've seen a female ruby-throated hummingbird zooming and hovering around our patio recently.  She's been attracted to the salvia I planted, but has also been investigating the legs of our charcoal grill—I wonder what is attracting her there?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: cathwen on June 11, 2021, 06:05:50 AM
I've seen a female ruby-throated hummingbird zooming and hovering around our patio recently.  She's been attracted to the salvia I planted, but has also been investigating the legs of our charcoal grill—I wonder what is attracting her there?

Can she see her reflection in the legs?

We have ruby-throated hummingbirds in our backyard. Sometimes I hear them cussing at someone in the front yard. I've also seen the females take spider web silk to use in nest-making.

A hawk (maybe the one I saw earlier) landed in a tree in the front yard. Broad-shouldered maybe?

mamselle

His tailor might be able to tell you.

It would depend on chest size, probably..

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 11, 2021, 11:02:55 AM
His tailor might be able to tell you.

It would depend on chest size, probably..

M.

Oy!

mamselle

Sorry.

In other avian news, my 6 AM walking time is netting some interesting views.

Yesterday, a swan and four cygnets, probably a month or so old now.

They stayed clustered near her (unlike the ducks I've seen, who paddle diligently at set distances from each other in a neat line) and when I came closer, they all scurried around to her other side (silly little things, I could still see their heads, of course...!)

Earlier, I'd seen a large white blur take off further down the river that I thought might have been a tern or some other non-grey, seagull-looking critter, but now I wonder if it might not have been the father on a fishing spree.

Then it was all quiet again.

M. 

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 16, 2021, 10:11:14 AM
Sorry.

In other avian news, my 6 AM walking time is netting some interesting views.

Yesterday, a swan and four cygnets, probably a month or so old now.

They stayed clustered near her (unlike the ducks I've seen, who paddle diligently at set distances from each other in a neat line) and when I came closer, they all scurried around to her other side (silly little things, I could still see their heads, of course...!)

Earlier, I'd seen a large white blur take off further down the river that I thought might have been a tern or some other non-grey, seagull-looking critter, but now I wonder if it might not have been the father on a fishing spree.

Then it was all quiet again.

M.

Neat!

That hawk came back and landed in the tree by the porch again (maybe 15 ft. from the house).

nebo113

My state, and surrounding states have issued alerts about bird deaths and recommended removing bird feeders (hummer feeders OK), which I have done.

Has anyone else?

mamselle

Deaths based on...?poisoned food, or ?predators lurking, or...?

New issue to me.

Unless it's dive-bombing bully-bird hummers protecting "Their" feeders....

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/06/25/hubert-the-hummingbird-is-a-serial-feeder-bully-in-hayward/

M.

nebo113

mamselle

Quote from: nebo113 on June 26, 2021, 07:46:54 AM
Quote from: mamselle on June 26, 2021, 07:44:00 AM
Deaths based on...?poisoned food, or ?predators lurking, or...?

New issue to me.

Unless it's dive-bombing bully-bird hummers protecting "Their" feeders....

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/06/25/hubert-the-hummingbird-is-a-serial-feeder-bully-in-hayward/

M.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/animal-news/scientists-don-t-know-why-hundreds-birds-are-getting-sick-n1271936

Wow. Weird and sad.

My first thought is climate change; their little bodies are probably very sensitive to even a degree or two more heat in the air.

Other stray considerations might include some kind of increased radiation in the atmosphere as we all use more devices that depend on various kinds of waves traveling about, or just the toxicity buildup of other DDT-like poisons like those Carson described so long ago.

Can't imagine a world without birdsong.

Don't want to.

M.

FishProf

I have a catbird who has taken to squawking at me whenever I go out on my deck.  It acts like I  am encroaching on territory but I have yet to find a nest.

I am amused by the attitude.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Catbirds is all about 'tude....

M.