News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohnoes

Quote from: mamselle on July 11, 2022, 02:33:10 PM
?? Please enlighten the rest of us (or maybe just me....)

Since I don't drink beer I wouldn't have any cans lying around to stuff chicken parts into--which is what it sounds like

You're close.  The chicken doesn't go into the can.  The can goes into the chicken. 

If you don't have beer - and any old beer will do - available, a can of ginger ale would do the trick, too.

mamselle

Mystifying

This counts as "What I learned from the Internet Today," I think...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

They also make stands of a sort for the chicken that you can pour the beer into rather than using a can.  We had one of our beer can chickens fall over on the grill and catch on fire, blanketing the surrounding area with thick smoke, so something sturdy can be helpful.

secundem_artem

Quote from: ab_grp on July 13, 2022, 12:01:37 PM
They also make stands of a sort for the chicken that you can pour the beer into rather than using a can.  We had one of our beer can chickens fall over on the grill and catch on fire, blanketing the surrounding area with thick smoke, so something sturdy can be helpful.

That's what I use.  A can of whatever I have in the house goes into the little can holder thingy on the stand. I empty out 1/3 of the can to avoid a boil-over. Then the can goes up the hoozits of the poor chook so his (former) neck faces the lid and birdie is kinda standing upright.  I have a 2 burner BBQ.  Left side goes on full, right side goes on minimum.  The chook goes on the right side and after ~ 25 minutes I turn it so the other side faces the high heat.  Takes about 45 minutes to fully cook a 3-4 pound bird.  Steamed from the inside so it remains most.  The foodies among you can use an imported beer.  I don't find it makes much difference.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

OK, things are getting clearer.

It's outside, that's reassuring--I was wondering about explosions.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Dinner last night--smoked/barbecued ribs, grits, brussels sprouts, and salad. And wine. Ribs were barbecued in a smoker. Being a guest can be quite decadent.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 27, 2022, 05:37:52 AM
Dinner last night--smoked/barbecued ribs, grits, brussels sprouts, and salad. And wine. Ribs were barbecued in a smoker. Being a guest can be quite decadent.

I'll have some of this, please! A lot of it!

We do pretty much the same meals on the nights we are alone (fish with vegetables), so last night was seared tuna steak with wasabi, asparagus, brussels, mixed greens (collards, chard, mustard), roasted potatoes (dipped in serrano sauce) for me, and cherry tomatoes, along with a caprese salad.  Wine for me, water and tea for him.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We're having Indian tonight and I'm EXCITED! I haven't had a samosa in a looooong time. :)

sinenomine

To celebrate the end of a long and annoying week, I'm planning on making eggplant parmigiana, accompanying with some Italian montepulciano, and finishing with brownie bites.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ergative

Finally cooked up that pumpkin that's been sitting on my counter for weeks now. Threw it into some leftover chaana dal that wasn't quite enough for dinner + lunch tomorrow, to bulk it out. Put homemade guacamole on top, because I don't particularly care for savory squash* and decided to dilute the flavour.

Astonishingly, guacamole is quite a good accompaniment to Indian-food type spices. I mean, the dominant flavors are mostly garlic/onion/cilantro/lime/hot pepper, which all feature heavily in Indian food already, so there's nothing to clash. And the creamy, cooling effect of the avocado works well with the spicy peppers in the chaana dal.

*pumpkin bread/pie/cookies, now, are an entirely different story.

AmLitHist

I made a big boneless pork loin into crockpot pulled pork BBQ on Thursday.  The freezer is now stocked with easy and quick meals, and we're working to finish up the leftovers in the fridge.

Stockmann

It was my wife's birthday recently. We had an early celebration at a Spanish restaurant in nearby Big City followed by gelatto in the same area. On the day itself, we had cheese fondue (using a fondue set my wife gave me for my birthday) - not authentic Swiss recipe, but it was nice, even if it did give me a bit of indigestion. Today my parents came to visit and it was kind of a belated birthday celebration - Japanese food from a Japanese-run place (udon noodles, tempura, sushi, etc) and Sapporo beer. We had a mascarpone and berries cake (bought from a different place).

A couple of weeks ago we had some friends over. Grilled beef, Polish-style sausages, salmon. Friends brought Olivier salad.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Tonight we'll have some homemade lentil soup and possibly some homemade rolls. Just something simple and hearty. It's too dang cold.

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO made a lovely turkey pot pie with a homemade crust tonight.

Langue_doc

Jumping ahead to Christmas...

The woman on the table next to mine at the PT place, discussing her Christmas plans, mentioned that for Christmas Eve, the menu was one lobster per person, clams, oysters, and other delectable seafood, and a host of other delicacies. The menu for Christmas day included assorted dishes that needed constant stirring and dishes that sounded Italian. These meals were for large gatherings, as was evident from the guest list. Her parting shot:
QuoteWhen I come back [in my next life/incarnation] I'm most definitely not going to know how to cook.