Author Topic: Thanksgiving Plans 2021 (Whatchya gonna do?)  (Read 1282 times)

Wahoo Redux

• Distinguished Senior Member
Re: Thanksgiving Plans 2021 (Whatchya gonna do?)
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
Just made a sandwich out of leftover fish sticks.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

hmaria1609

• CHE Posts: 560
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »
Hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving!
It was a lovely day here. I had gin after dinner.  And Theo Chocolate's limited edition Milk & Cookies:
https://theochocolate.com/shop-theo/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Branded&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5dPWuIq19AIVgo3ICh31DgzQEAAYASAAEgIpsvD_BwE#

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »
Very pleasant.

Salutations, all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

• Hardly a
  • Often wrong, never in doubt.
  • CHE Posts: 1513
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
1.  What are your plans?
--Wished I could have done nothing, but now wife's long time friend is coming. To visit. Yes, it will be nice. Wish daughter could be here.

2.  What will YOU be cooking?
--I let the fingers do the walking and ordered the whole shebang from Stale Fields, baked and all, and fixings. Just reheat and eat. It was the smallest turkey I could find. The advertisement said for four people. I had wished for and sought out an eight pounder. Didn't find one. Let's see what "for four people" means.

3.  Have you started shopping yet for supplies?
--No eight pounders. Capitalism is failing. No, my fellow man is failing.

4.  Are the supplies sufficient (similar to last year) or are there shortages?
--Pay enough and get enough.

5.  IS it markedly more expensive (or do you remember)?
--I've never done this before. Would rather make a small turkey myself. I'm good at it. Wife is not convinced, though.

6.  How will THIS year's big day be different from Last Year (under full COVID warnings)?
--Less woik.  Not woke. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Well, you pay enough, it's good enough! This eight pounder was the best turkey we ever had. White meat moist, skin crispy, and all.

As a colleague once said about everything in America: The marginal cost of quality is high!

Well, it's only once a year.

Cheers to all!
We have met the enemy, and they is us.
--Pogo

Liquidambar

• This is my personal text.
  • CHE Posts: pi
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »
Our nontraditional menu includes Cameroonian chicken, Szechuan eggplant, and Jamaican banana cake, with some more traditional sides thrown in.

Oooh, do you have a recipe for the Szechuan eggplant?

We visited the in-laws.  I was afraid they'd get takeout, but they actually cooked a turkey.  I brought pies and some sides.  I made this Dutch apple pie recipe, which turned out really well.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

OneMoreYear

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2021, 03:17:18 PM »
Our nontraditional menu includes Cameroonian chicken, Szechuan eggplant, and Jamaican banana cake, with some more traditional sides thrown in.

Oooh, do you have a recipe for the Szechuan eggplant?

We visited the in-laws.  I was afraid they'd get takeout, but they actually cooked a turkey.  I brought pies and some sides.  I made this Dutch apple pie recipe, which turned out really well.

That apple pie looks delicious!

Unfortunately, the eggplant recipe was a flop, and I'm now trying to figure out how to doctor up the leftovers.

clean

• CHE Posts: 5416
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2021, 07:07:43 PM »
What is the leftover situation? 
How many more days of post Thanksgiving feasting?

turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey goulash. turkey hash  (I dont remember all of the recipes listed in A Christmas Story after the Bumpass's dogs ate the turkey)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

• Hardly a
  • Often wrong, never in doubt.
  • CHE Posts: 1513
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2021, 07:50:01 PM »
What is the leftover situation? 
How many more days of post Thanksgiving feasting?

turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey goulash. turkey hash  (I dont remember all of the recipes listed in A Christmas Story after the Bumpass's dogs ate the turkey)

I have twice snacked on bits of surprisingly good turkey breast with gravy and stuffing today. I am up for more tomorrow.

Others in my present household are doing soup and threatening worse, and I did catch one picking on a turkey leg.  I ain't gonna eat the soup. If this stuff -- the good and the bad -- doesn't move forthwith, it's gonna have an accident! :-)
We have met the enemy, and they is us.
--Pogo

Liquidambar

• This is my personal text.
  • CHE Posts: pi
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2021, 08:06:46 PM »
We'll have leftover turkey and gravy tomorrow, and I'll make mashed potatoes because somehow the in-laws didn't make any for dinner yesterday.  (Sacrilege!)  Plus I'll make some more cranberry sauce because there's never enough cranberry sauce.  After tomorrow, I'll freeze any remaining turkey to make a pot pie later.

The leftover dessert situation is problematic.  I might have to toss some since there's a lot more than I should eat.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Larimar

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2021, 05:48:57 AM »
Leftover potatoes and green beans amandine for dinner last night, and there are still enough leftover cookies for a few more days. The peanut butter cookies were a hit, and the new spice cookie recipe we tried worked too!

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
Turkey reubens are good...I do mine open-faced/sous-vide, but you can toast two nice, crispy slices of rye, if you like, too.

A singlet friend who likes to cook does a medium sized-bird, cooks down the carcass for soup broth to freeze, and makes several delicious casseroles, etc. with the meat as well.

I do believe she uses everything but the gobble...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

• CHE Posts: 560
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2021, 10:07:24 AM »
We have a glass container of leftover lamb slices in the fridge; mom saved the juice for cooking.