Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Unrelated to any of the above.

I knew I shouldn't reply.

Back to my "ignore" list you go, you do.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

I knew it...the rat is about the most resilient creature we have...https://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-facts-about-new-york-citys-rats-2015-9

bacardiandlime

The fact that you thought it was necessary to post that rather (unintentionally) proves your point.

archaeo42

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

mahagonny

Guess I was channelling George Carlin. The wisecrack should have been here instead of on the thread.

ab_grp

Is this some kind of psychological experiment?

archaeo42

Quote from: ab_grp on June 08, 2020, 03:40:19 PM
Is this some kind of psychological experiment?

If it is I think a lot of people are failing.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

downer

I think some people are just bored and lonely.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

i think I saw you doing standup in the Poconos.

aside

QuoteSometimes what sounds pretty wild in the abstract is actually much more reasonable when the focus is more specific.

Taken completely out of context, yet this describes many of my conference papers.

mahagonny

Maybe the most bland, inadequate thing circulating today is the idea that in order to understand black people better, we need to understand one thing about them. The one thing about them is, like us, they are individuals. I can listen to Al Sharpton, John McWhorter, Dave Chappelle, George Floyd's mom, and get a piece of truth from each.

mahagonny

...it wasn't really clunky wording at all. Quite precise and effective.

polly_mer

<probably unrelated>

Let's summarize:

* advice from qualified professionals who have held/currently hold the relevant positions and have kept up on the state of the situation with frequent citations to literature

* advice from people who cite nothing and are proud of being only loosely affiliated with their own institution, let alone the broader environment

For people who really, truly, no foolin' believe in critical thinking and evaluating sources, the advice should not be weighted equally.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

My pole is <10 feet, so.

(EDIT: Curses. I used the wrong alligator. Stupid me.)
I know it's a genus.

permanent imposter

I think I understand your frustrations during the current political climate: you feel that people are making a big deal out of nothing and you feel like you are being forced to conform. In other words, you feel like you are in the minority. But no one is literally forcing you to do or say anything. This is not the Cultural Revolution by any stretch of the imagination. I think you are a being a little too sensitive about your circumstances when for others, literal lives are at stake.