Previous topic - Next topic

aside

[unrelated]

Why do you hang out here?

polly_mer

Quote from: aside on October 25, 2020, 07:51:04 PM
[unrelated]

Why do you hang out here?

I'm watching the crash occur in an unpredicted way and I want to see what happens.

Ideally, I am providing lesser known data and a different perspective might help people make better decisions before the crash happens where those folks are.

But, mostly, I'm here ready to state "I informed you thusly!" when people fail to use their vaunted critical thinking skills when it mattered for their lives instead of just in an academic sense.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Members of the library staff have received another commodities distribution.  The refrigerator in the staff break room is now half full of yogurt.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Apl68, you should see my chocolate stash I have at the library!  :D

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on October 26, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
Apl68, you should see my chocolate stash I have at the library!  :D

One of our staff members had been putting her chocolate on the bottom of a bowl filled mostly with Nerds and lemon drops and such.  It's there if you dig deep enough...
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I believe there are some forumites around who would forsake the chocolate and go for the Nerds....

(One gave me a few boxes, and I've been spacing them out, but I do indeed see the appeal).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

If it is politics, you want nuance and subtlety, but you insist on a mile-wide paint roller for deceased equines.  Why the disparity?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

polly_mer

Quote from: FishProf on October 27, 2020, 03:07:54 AM
If it is politics, you want nuance and subtlety, but you insist on a mile-wide paint roller for deceased equines.  Why the disparity?

Many politics questions actually don't have a cut-and-dried answer; room exists for much discussion on nuance and subtlety.  Equally informed, intelligent people with differing values could have much to discuss because the facts don't lend themselves to only one logical conclusion.

In contrast, many topics relevant to higher ed really only have a very narrow range of conclusions.  Insisting that we have a discussion on why 2+2=17 would be better is far less useful than repeating the reality is 2+2 can only be a number from about 3 (if the true values are being rounded up from 1.5) to about 6 (if the true values are 2.999999 being truncated to 2).  Even then, focusing on the 3 or the 6 is much less useful in most cases than discussion on the cases between 3.9 to 4.1.

That being explained, as generic advice for those who need it:

* It is a bad idea to go to a graduate program for which the primary expected outcome is professor, even when fully funded.

* Now is the time to get out of adjuncting and into some other professional career that can build to something good.

* Check the finances of your institution and look for the red flags now so you can be on the job market before your job is eliminated.

* Check the enrollments at your institution and compare what you do to what is absolutely necessary to complete those majors.  If you are teaching primarily electives in the general education program, now is the time to be on the non-academic job market as well as the academic job market to be more closely aligned with the mission of an employer.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

<unrelated> I wouldn't say the bias is implicit. The term is widely overused so that we can coddle shitheads who'll throw a tantrum as soon as they're called on their racist (sexist, etc.) bluff.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 27, 2020, 08:58:26 AM
<unrelated> I wouldn't say the bias is implicit. The term is widely overused so that we can coddle shitheads who'll throw a tantrum as soon as they're called on their racist (sexist, etc.) bluff.
Explicitly racist (sexist, etc.) or implicitly racist (sexist, etc.) bluff?
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 27, 2020, 09:07:00 AM

Explicit.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 27, 2020, 09:20:39 AM

Explicit.

So like people who say "All white people are racist." It's much easier for someone on the left, even an academic, to get away with that, then for someone on the right, especially an academic, saying anything like "All <members of whatever non-white group> are <any disparaging term>." That would get them fired in a heartbeat.
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 27, 2020, 09:39:05 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 27, 2020, 09:20:39 AM

Explicit.

So like people who say "All white people are racist." It's much easier for someone on the left, even an academic, to get away with that, then for someone on the right, especially an academic, saying anything like "All <members of whatever non-white group> are <any disparaging term>." That would get them fired in a heartbeat.

Some universal generalizations are racist. But universal generalization isn't at the core of the concept 'racist'.

I'll refrain from further derailing the thread, however.
I know it's a genus.