Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 27, 2020, 09:39:05 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 27, 2020, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on October 27, 2020, 09:07:00 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 27, 2020, 08:58:26 AM
<unrelated> I wouldn't say the bias is implicit. The term is widely overused so that we can coddle shitheads who'll throw a tantrum as soon as they're called on their racist (sexist, etc.) bluff.
Explicitly racist (sexist, etc.) or implicitly racist (sexist, etc.) bluff?

Explicit.

So like people who say "All white people are racist." It's much easier for someone on the left, even an academic, to get away with that, then for someone on the right, especially an academic, saying anything like "All <members of whatever non-white group> are <any disparaging term>." That would get them fired in a heartbeat.

People on the left have 'good racism' and 'bad racism.'

Good racism is where you're white and you confess to 'known unknowns' (thank you Donald Rumsfeld). You know there is racism lurking in your psyche, waiting to be found and purged. But like peeling away layers of an onion, you're always just getting started. It's a powerful and soothing psychological exercise, as Coleman Hughes has pointed out.
'Bad racism' is the same racism that the left has, but it lurks inside of the people who are not hip to, resist, or silently abstain from the purging ritual and vote the wrong way, and need to be talked about.

little bongo

(not directly related)

I'm pretty sure one of you would not be missed.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on October 27, 2020, 10:04:34 AM
(not directly related)

Not by people who matter. Students would miss me though.

FishProf

It's always interesting who replies on this thread, as it is often (usually?) NOT the person being referenced.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

marshwiggle

Quote from: FishProf on October 27, 2020, 01:11:34 PM
It's always interesting who replies on this thread, as it is often (usually?) NOT the person being referenced.

Isn't that kind of the point? If you wanted the person to respond, it wouldn't be an "aside" and it would be in the original thread. I haven't read this thread often in the past since it seems kind of disjointed unless you're pretty sure who a post refers to and in what context.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

On the old forum there was a person, VoxPrincipallis I believe, who used to gloat when someone mistakenly thought an insult was meant for them. As though that meant they were feeling unduly important.
Peter Lorre: you despite me, don't you Rick?
Humphrey Bogart: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

FishProf

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 27, 2020, 01:22:31 PM

Isn't that kind of the point? If you wanted the person to respond, it wouldn't be an "aside" and it would be in the original thread. I haven't read this thread often in the past since it seems kind of disjointed unless you're pretty sure who a post refers to and in what context.

I meant that, it is not uncommon for someone to respond to a posting here as if it were directed at them.  I find it amusing that how I react to one person's post is consistent with how another poster thinks people respond to them.

little bongo

Quote from: mahagonny on October 27, 2020, 10:28:02 AM
Quote from: little bongo on October 27, 2020, 10:04:34 AM
(not directly related)

Not by people who matter. Students would miss me though.

As it happens, this wasn't directed at you. There was a supposedly comic post that ended with jokingly suggesting double suicide.

I guess we all think it's our party sometimes. But good for you on your rapport with your students--that's important.

ETA: I literally just used that Casablanca quote regarding someone warning about being hated on the fora. Not cool to Bogart my go-to quotes, man.

mahagonny

finance guy always has something useful, relevant and often overlooked to add.

apl68

Kind of sad that it's too cold for ice cream now, since there's a place a few blocks away that makes it.  Fortunately they also make good cookies.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

polly_mer

I purposefully respond when I'm pretty sure it's not me.

I usually refrain when I suspect it might be me.  After all, I'm already involved on whatever thread was being referenced and likely already got to sigh about someone reporting me because they refuse to acknowledge the difference between an actual personal attack, being less than polite, and pointing out that someone with zero background on a given topic has just posted the equivalent of the "The sky is usually green" or "2+2=17".
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

FishProf

Maybe it's just me, but I am confused as to why you would read "Someone does X", think "I don't DO X" and then post a defense of why your "Not X" is a justification of "X".

mamselle

But, but....doesn't f(x) = 17 mean f(2+2) must be 17?

So, why isn't "2+2=17" correct?

Can I have half-credit, at least??

Plleeeeeeeassee???

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: aside on October 25, 2020, 07:51:04 PM
[unrelated]

Why do you hang out here?

One might hang out here because they don't have the energy, organization, or point valid enough to stand out in brought daylight and offer it. But they can still come here and do a quasi-cryptic post that bonds with other like-minded readers.

sonoamused

Quote from: apl68 on October 28, 2020, 09:57:08 AM
Kind of sad that it's too cold for ice cream now, since there's a place a few blocks away that makes it.  Fortunately they also make good cookies.

I am of the belief it is never too cold for ice cream. Or iced coffee.   People can fight me on this when I dressed in my lined LL Bean boots, winter coat and gloves and I will still insist its all fine, thankyou.