Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: sonoamused on October 28, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: apl68 on October 28, 2020, 09:57:08 AM
Kind of sad that it's too cold for ice cream now, since there's a place a few blocks away that makes it.  Fortunately they also make good cookies.

I am of the belief it is never too cold for ice cream. Or iced coffee.   People can fight me on this when I dressed in my lined LL Bean boots, winter coat and gloves and I will still insist its all fine, thankyou.

May I add sweet tea to your list?

polly_mer

Kind of sad that it's too cold for ice cream now, since there's a place a few blocks away that makes it.  Fortunately they also make good cookies.

I am of the belief it is never too cold for ice cream. Or iced coffee.   People can fight me on this when I dressed in my lined LL Bean boots, winter coat and gloves and I will still insist its all fine, thankyou.

One of my fondest memories is walking down State Street in Madison, WI in the blowing snow while eating an ice cream cone.  It's never too cold for ice cream!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

dismalist

Quote from: polly_mer on October 28, 2020, 04:46:52 PM

One of my fondest memories is walking down State Street in Madison, WI in the blowing snow while eating an ice cream cone.  It's never too cold for ice cream!

And I remember my daughter, then about six years old, insisting on having an ice cream outdoors, immediately, in January. I tried to talk her out of her plan, but eventually just acquiesced in the knowledge that from empirical reality inferences can be made. We bought the ice cream and once outside the store, it stuck to her tongue.

She has proven efficient at learning.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

polly_mer

Quote from: dismalist on October 28, 2020, 04:50:51 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on October 28, 2020, 04:46:52 PM

And I remember my daughter, then about six years old, insisting on having an ice cream outdoors, immediately, in January. I tried to talk her out of her plan, but eventually just acquiesced in the knowledge that from empirical reality inferences can be made. We bought the ice cream and once outside the store, it stuck to her tongue.

She has proven efficient at learning.

If only she knew more science and had chosen a different technique.  One's breath will warm a tongue stuck to the flagpole if one doesn't panic and just moves closer.  Same is true for ice cream in eating such that the tongue is not extended beyond the mouth.

downer

The Fora just needs a Statler and Waldorf section.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on November 01, 2020, 04:42:24 AM
The Fora just needs a Statler and Waldorf section.

Oh...because, most of the world is intellectually inferior to us (who knows....maybe even to me..!). Don't you know an uplifting message when you hear one?

Liquidambar

(unrelated)

Nobody wants to hear you tell everyone repeatedly why they're wrong and you're right.  That's not why we come to the fora.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

polly_mer

Quote from: Liquidambar on November 02, 2020, 05:19:23 PM
(unrelated)

Nobody wants to hear you tell everyone repeatedly why they're wrong and you're right.  That's not why we come to the fora.

1) Some of us get messages indicating that readers do come here to read the informed contrarian view in which people who are wrong are flat out told so instead of being allowed to post unchallenged.

2) Wanting me to be wrong is not the same as my actually being wrong.

3) Having only agreement because the people who have other expertise and information remain silent or aren't even allowed as members is unhealthy for a community, especially when the desired agreement is at odds with the observed reality.

You may not come here to learn new things and get outside your bubble, but I have evidence that other people do.

marshwiggle

Quote from: polly_mer on November 03, 2020, 05:54:47 AM
(unrelated)

1) Some of us get messages indicating that readers do come here to read the informed contrarian view in which people who are wrong are flat out told so instead of being allowed to post unchallenged.

3) Having only agreement because the people who have other expertise and information remain silent or aren't even allowed as members is unhealthy for a community, especially when the desired agreement is at odds with the observed reality.

You may not come here to learn new things and get outside your bubble, but I have evidence that other people do.

I'm one of those people who comes here to interact with people who don't see things the same way I do. I look forward to rational, informed arguments by people who disagree with me to help me examine and potentially revise my positions. Sadly, in our society there are lots of people theoretically in the business of "truth", such as academics and journalists, who often are unwilling or unable to engage in logical, open-ended discussions and instead basically advocate for a specific, narrow viewpoint.

Especially since this is not any sort of decision-making body, it seems that this kind of discussion should be welcome and non-threatening, although for some people apparently hearing alternative points of view is greatly distressing even without it being directed to any sort of action.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 03, 2020, 07:16:56 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on November 03, 2020, 05:54:47 AM
(unrelated)

I'm one of those people who comes here to interact with people who don't see things the same way I do. I look forward to rational, informed arguments by people who disagree with me to help me examine and potentially revise my positions. Sadly, in our society there are lots of people theoretically in the business of "truth", such as academics and journalists, who often are unwilling or unable to engage in logical, open-ended discussions and instead basically advocate for a specific, narrow viewpoint.

Especially since this is not any sort of decision-making body, it seems that this kind of discussion should be welcome and non-threatening, although for some people it seems that hearing alternative points of view is greatly distressing even without it being directed to any sort of action.

My attitude lately has been people can come here or not as they please, and if they don't like what they see they can have their money back. Academia is waist-deep in blame for the idiotic cancel/woke culture that has taken hold. People will talk.

little bongo

(not related?)

There is such a thing as hope. There is such a thing as self-respect. Physical realities, data, and numbers can't always account for the intangibles.

Or as Fred Gaily says in "Miracle on 34th Street":

"Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile."

Also, not incidentally: getting rid of a thug, bullying jagoff of a President is actually a good thing. And that speaks to the argument I've seen that runs something like, "Well, yeah, he's rude and insensitive--but what did he actually DO that was so terrible?" And that's just it--there's only so much he CAN do in that sense. But, to quote Dickens' Christmas Carol: "He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil. Say that his power lies in words and looks; in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add and count 'em up."

So... God bless us, every one. And Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

mamselle

Amen to hope.

And to laughter.

I've just spent the last 10 min. playing with the "mute" button--shutting it on and off while talking, seeing if we can read each others' lips, etc.--with my 6-year-old music student, while waiting for his sister to come into the room for her lesson.

We also did a screen print of the inside of his big blue "Whoosh!" tube, which I emailed him...looks like the blue lagoon inside.

I'm convinced he thinks I'm just another, slightly bigger, six-year old.

And I think I like that...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on November 04, 2020, 03:13:09 PM

/quote]

You are....I've see it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on November 05, 2020, 05:16:26 AM

/quote]

You are....I've see it.

Thanks!

I'll take that as a compliment!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on November 05, 2020, 08:01:16 AM
Quote from: FishProf on November 05, 2020, 05:16:26 AM

/quote]

You are....I've see it.

Thanks!

I'll take that as a compliment!

M.

Of the Highest Order!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.