Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little bongo

Quote from: polly_mer on December 22, 2020, 02:09:37 PM
Quote from: little bongo on December 22, 2020, 08:54:38 AM
<unrelated>

But do you really "have" to?

ON EDIT, WRT another thread:

At some point, we must decide, "Do I want to argue, or do I really want to try to learn something?"

What is it you think I could learn from people who sound just like the students who insist that something that is mathematically possible is really, truly, no-foolin' going to happen at the end of the term, even though it never does because it's not the math that's the issue?

Pattern matching is a thing, even in the absence of mathematical models that would give quantitative predictions.

OK, I'll cop to the first part being about you--on some thread or other, you mentioned that you "have" to enter into conversations because... well, I guess somebody was wrong? And I wasn't sure you really had to.

But the part you actually responded to? That was about a thread that centered around a ballet company. But your answer? Gadzooks and egad. You strung together 67 words that had no business being acquainted with each other. If I were still in my days at a writing center late at night, I'd take a couple of Bayer and say in my most patient voice, "So what exactly are you trying to say here?"

mahagonny

I am learning something. little bongo. I am learning that if I talk to certain people about certain current events, there is going to be an argument. However, that's not true of everyone I could be talking to about that issue.

Re: the 'woke' culture and performing arts

Comedians, including Jerry Seinfeld, have already announced they will not perform on college campuses for the immediate future. They can't do their act without getting into trouble. And as apl pointed out astutely theatre companies with choreographed productions are now going to get into controversy, routinely, no matter what artistic decisions they make. Comedians, if they haven't burned their bridges, can decide to go back to college campuses after the whole thing blows over. It's different with symphony orchestras, ballets, theatre companies. When they fold it's the end of an era. It's hard enough to keep them running when everyone is in their corner. This is something that needs to be paid attention to.

Langue_doc

I thought that thread was "vacation nation". Disappointed, as I'm mentally not yet ready for vaccination.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 23, 2020, 08:56:35 AM
I thought that thread was "vacation nation". Disappointed, as I'm mentally not yet ready for vaccination.

Me too! Although, I thought it was going to be about people traveling for vacation and ignoring COVID recommendations.

aside

Quote from: OneMoreYear on December 23, 2020, 10:32:10 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on December 23, 2020, 08:56:35 AM

Me too! Although, I thought it was going to be about people traveling for vacation and ignoring COVID recommendations.

In other words, real life ...

Langue_doc

Gentlemen, could you take it outside? Please!?

FishProf

Really?  I don't think you would be.  That seems to be your preference, or your default (or both).
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AmLitHist

<unrelated to FishProf et al. above>

I've probably said this before, but it still applies:

Where do people get the energy to always be so angry?  And where can I get some of that energy?  I have lots of better things to use it on.

marshwiggle

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 30, 2020, 06:13:43 AM
<unrelated to FishProf et al. above>

I've probably said this before, but it still applies:

Where do people get the energy to always be so angry?  And where can I get some of that energy?  I have lots of better things to use it on.

Become an "activist". The cause doesn't matter, neither does where on the political spectrum you come from; what matters is viewing everything from the point of view of grievance, and telling yourself that something MUST be done, and that the solution is SIMPLE, if only the powers-that-be would implement it.
It takes so little to be above average.

little bongo

Quote from: mahagonny on December 23, 2020, 06:38:15 AM
I am learning something. little bongo. I am learning that if I talk to certain people about certain current events, there is going to be an argument. However, that's not true of everyone I could be talking to about that issue.

Comedians, including Jerry Seinfeld, have already announced they will not perform on college campuses for the immediate future. They can't do their act without getting into trouble. And as apl pointed out astutely theatre companies with choreographed productions are now going to get into controversy, routinely, no matter what artistic decisions they make. Comedians, if they haven't burned their bridges, can decide to go back to college campuses after the whole thing blows over. It's different with symphony orchestras, ballets, theatre companies. When they fold it's the end of an era. It's hard enough to keep them running when everyone is in their corner. This is something that needs to be paid attention to.

You're "learning" that talking to people about certain events can cause arguments? i mean, I learned that reading my favorite Peanuts books as a kid, when Linus says something to the effect that there's three subjects he's learned never to bring up in public: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.

Granted, some of today's hot topics don't fit neatly into those three categories. But that leads us back to "why this argument now?" Are we trying to learn something about opposing viewpoints? Are we railing against the lack of common sense in the academic world? Or are we spoiling for a fight? (The title of your thread provides a clue, at least.)

And you know, if we are railing and fighting--okay. Nothing really wrong with that, as long as you're not engaging in some form of assault. No common sense? Then be the teacher we need right now. Fill the world with love and with common sense. What could be nicer? And here's a tip--you don't really need ethical administrators or colleagues with common sense to do that. Everyone I've ever encountered on this forum--well, almost everyone--has the capacity to pull that off at least every now and then. Can we ask for a greater opportunity?

mamselle

Thread pollution is gludging up the works.

Just walk away.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on December 30, 2020, 04:30:59 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on December 23, 2020, 06:38:15 AM

You're "learning" that talking to people about certain events can cause arguments? i mean, I learned that reading my favorite Peanuts books as a kid, when Linus says something to the effect that there's three subjects he's learned never to bring up in public: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.

Granted, some of today's hot topics don't fit neatly into those three categories. But that leads us back to "why this argument now?" Are we trying to learn something about opposing viewpoints? Are we railing against the lack of common sense in the academic world? Or are we spoiling for a fight? (The title of your thread provides a clue, at least.)

And you know, if we are railing and fighting--okay. Nothing really wrong with that, as long as you're not engaging in some form of assault. No common sense? Then be the teacher we need right now. Fill the world with love and with common sense. What could be nicer? And here's a tip--you don't really need ethical administrators or colleagues with common sense to do that. Everyone I've ever encountered on this forum--well, almost everyone--has the capacity to pull that off at least every now and then. Can we ask for a greater opportunity?

This is message of love and common sense the speaks to me, but it cannot be made honestly and clearly without including sharp criticism.   https://news.yahoo.com/dr-shelby-steele-says-white-232941842.html

mahagonny

redact

downer

<nr>

Maybe you should just wiggle your hips.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

aside

Quote from: downer on January 04, 2021, 05:02:35 AM
<nr>

Maybe you should just wiggle your hips.

Last time I did, I was in traction for a month.