News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I was always a pretty good speller, but I'm not going to delve into a NYT spelling bee, not now. Not when proper spelling is going to reinforce white supremacy.

jimbogumbo

More of a musing than aside. I'm going to guess Howard students are fine with her hire.

mahagonny

In a last minute effort to boost Larry Elder's political career, President Biden will be in California today campaigning for Gaviner Newsom.

FishProf

That YOU is an "if the shoe fits, wear it" you.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

I agreed with your statement, but I note that if you write

"People have reasons for what they do.  Imagining the most nefarious reasons doesn't bring you closer to understanding them, or them you.  Well, maybe we do understand you (and it isn't good)."

As opposed to

"People have reasons for what they do.  Imagining the most nefarious reasons doesn't bring you closer to understanding them, or them you.  Well, maybe I do understand you (and it isn't good).

It sounds quite different to me.

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

Well, Bildad and Eliphaz have weighed in. Will Zophar and Elihu be next, I wonder?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mahagonny on September 13, 2021, 07:18:46 AM
I agreed with your statement, but I note that if you write

"People have reasons for what they do.  Imagining the most nefarious reasons doesn't bring you closer to understanding them, or them you.  Well, maybe we do understand you (and it isn't good)."

As opposed to

"People have reasons for what they do.  Imagining the most nefarious reasons doesn't bring you closer to understanding them, or them you.  Well, maybe I do understand you (and it isn't good).

It sounds quite different to me.

Royal "WE".
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 12, 2021, 02:53:43 PM
More of a musing than aside. I'm going to guess Howard students are fine with her hire.

Good guess, considering that saying anything other than 'wow, she's a genius' would get one branded as an Uncle Tom or a racist.

Langue_doc

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 14, 2021, 07:39:13 AM

Good guess, considering that saying anything other than 'wow, she's a genius' would get one branded as an Uncle Tom or a racist.

Or perhaps that journalism students at a prestigious HBCU will be thrilled to be in a class with an African American investigative journalist who has won both a Pulitzer and a MacArthur grant.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 14, 2021, 01:27:02 PM

Or perhaps that journalism students at a prestigious HBCU will be thrilled to be in a class with an African American investigative journalist who has won both a Pulitzer and a MacArthur grant.

Well, why don't they? they are young still, and one can pass ignorance on the way to knowledge.

marshwiggle

They may be, but it may confuse them a bit about how academia normally works, and what is required for someone to become a professor, and what is required to get tenure.

Olympic medals and Nobel prizes are both great honours, but they're not interchangeable in who gets them and why. They both have higher value by being distinct.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 15, 2021, 05:13:24 AM

They may be, but it may confuse them a bit about how academia normally works, and what is required for someone to become a professor, and what is required to get tenure.

Olympic medals and Nobel prizes are both great honours, but they're not interchangeable in who gets them and why. They both have higher value by being distinct.

there's not much confusing about hypocrisy once you've seen enough of it.

mahagonny

The only reason Dr. Suess is active now is I've been goosing it. Otherwise the forum is quiet. Me, the pariah, the troll. You're welcome/.

little bongo

Geez, man, way to hog all the credit.