News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

Fine, ignore the responses of those with some experience.

I suppose next you'll be man'splaining my abusive former marriage to me.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on September 18, 2021, 10:34:59 AM
Geez, man, way to hog all the credit.

Hey if you want troll status, you'll have to earn it like the rest of us. There's work involved.

mahagonny

My theory, viewing this from afar, as it's not my field, is in matters involving race particularly, we are now at a point where the upsetting nature of some of our history, simply told in stark language, is overlaid with the current mania over what these events say about each of us in the  room and our purported complicity in what happened between people who are not us, many decades ago. Strikingly close to something we used to call 'guilt by association' and it used to be considered poor thinking.  But now it's mainstream - almost. (Yet it falls short of even the standard required for guilt by association, which required that at least the implicated party knew the guilty party personally in some way.)

And I am not attriributing this vexing problem to the instructor or the poster. It's something we woke up one day and found ourselves in. that is my sense.

ciao_yall

I don't know. How do you spell "boring?"

little bongo

+1

Yeah, pretty blah. No pot to be stirred there. Sometimes it's a swing and a miss.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

I was making a lame joke about spelling. 'Ejected' has one less letter than 'rejected' so it's even swifter. I was pretty hard on Polly_Mer although not really, because most readers have me on the 'ignore' setting anyway.

related to something else herein:
Well, besides, how many times can you say 'CRT is an extremely deft, important discovery about American life that desperately needs to be never understood by middle America deplorables, except for their children, who will then fix everything difficult about the world by hating themselves. And that's why you need to leave us alone so we can begin the hard work of not teaching it' before people start noticing you're just a lying asshole.

mahagonny

one-offing myself

...cause really, most academics I run into these days are pretty much resigned to hating all republicans, long term. And not seeing themselves or their attitude as representing any kind of systemic dysfunction.

downer

Has there ever been a novel or movie imagining what would happen should those in power in the US become unwilling to engage in corruption and war mongering? It might need to be a dark comedy.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on October 18, 2021, 02:55:03 PM
Has there ever been a novel or movie imagining what would happen should those in power in the US become unwilling to engage in corruption and war mongering? It might need to be a dark comedy.

This could mean just about anything. To some, total isolationism, even in the face of genocide, is the only reasonable option.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on October 18, 2021, 02:55:03 PM

Serpico.

RatGuy

Quote from: Hegemony on October 19, 2021, 06:55:26 PM
People do have all kinds of objections to things, some silly, some less so. I once worked in a place where a co-worker went ballistic because the maintenance people had opened the package of toilet paper and left some sitting in the bag while waiting to be put on the roll. My co-worker thought that this would pollute the toilet paper and make it unsafe (but not when it got put on the roll — don't ask me, I'm just reporting).

When I was in grad school, a departmental administrator sued the department, university, and a few individuals because one of the office GAs brought her pet rabbit to campus. Apparently the student was unaware that the admin had a rabbit phobia, and argued that the rabbit served as direct and malicious torment. And while there was no op-ed about it, there was an angry rant on the departmental listserv.

lightning

Quote from: RatGuy on October 20, 2021, 06:19:53 AM
People do have all kinds of objections to things, some silly, some less so. I once worked in a place where a co-worker went ballistic because the maintenance people had opened the package of toilet paper and left some sitting in the bag while waiting to be put on the roll. My co-worker thought that this would pollute the toilet paper and make it unsafe (but not when it got put on the roll — don't ask me, I'm just reporting).

When I was in grad school, a departmental administrator sued the department, university, and a few individuals because one of the office GAs brought her pet rabbit to campus. Apparently the student was unaware that the admin had a rabbit phobia, and argued that the rabbit served as direct and malicious torment. And while there was no op-ed about it, there was an angry rant on the departmental listserv.

The department admin may have been attacked by the bunny from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

jimbogumbo

If it was in fact the Holy Grail Bunny I would argue that the admin would be as lively as a Norwegian Blue.

apl68

Quote from: lightning on October 20, 2021, 09:04:15 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on October 20, 2021, 06:19:53 AM

The department admin may have been attacked by the bunny from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

In which case the department admin was fortunate to have survived!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.