News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paralysis Analysis Renewed!

Started by mamselle, June 06, 2019, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golazo

So by Monday I should

• Finish tinkering with R&R and have a final go to make sure I don't have silly errors
  • Write a letter explaining how the reviews fail to understand my genius (I mean, humbly articulate how I have I have done every single thing the reviewers have asked me to do
  • Finish podcasts for my online class (Monday)
  • Go to service meeting on campus (Monday)
  • Do annoying family admin
  • toddler B-day party for friend

I can push the R&R to Thursday at the latest--this journal is really strict on timelines. But I'd like to get it done Monday and enjoy suffer less the rest of the week

octoprof

Welcome Golazo!

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, do some PT, read a little, write postcards, grade that one problematic exam, sew on the thing, make dinner reservations, pre-pack for Monday, write down all the scheduled conference calls for the coming week (3?)

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails
571: daily grading and emails, grade that one problematic exam
Prep for Fall
412 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
542 - Minor changes; Draft a list of what needs to be done
Prep for Spring
453 - Major overhaul; Draft a list of what needs to be done

Research
Projects
Julian: Draft a to do list for the R&R, Next conference call:7/11 4pm
Samara: Evaluate the data, draft a to do list
Rhoda: Edit pass, journal target, need lit file from R.
Mentoring
Rhonda: What is that last email about? Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: 7/16 4pm
Isolde: Ask how summer research is going...
Peaches: Ask how summer research is going...

Service/Admin
Plan: Draft a master list of all the crap to be done in early fall [started]
CPE: develop outline for program

Personal
Back on the PT bandwagon - July: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August: drafting list in Excel
Sort doctor appointments - Move late Sept PCP to August? When is dental check up?
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

polly_mer

Professional

• Write my next assigned section for the dreaded track-changes paper
  • Notify my co-lead that I'm taking the secretary up on her offer to organize monthly writing group meetings so we go forward
  • Complete the draft for that paper and send it around for internal comment
  • Go visit the relevant people to discuss what to do with the project where the software just isn't ready yet, it's not my task to make it ready, and the clock is ticking to report on progress for this project
  • Go visit more people to work on the revised plan for the project where the clock is ticking

Personal

• Sign the documents with the lawyer and get the documents distributed to where they need to go
  • Break out the ancient laptop and continue working on the conversion from the physical card catalog to an electronic data base.  The laptop is so I can sit in the library while I do it in case I have to double check something.
  • Write as many post-it notes as it takes to let go of some of the books as I convert from physical card catalog to electronic data base.  Giving the books away means I don't have to do as much new data entry.
  • Take a few boxes of books to the donation center to make room to unpack new books
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Golazo

Finish tinkering with R&R and have a final go to make sure I don't have silly errors
Write a letter explaining how the reviews fail to understand my genius (I mean, humbly articulate how I have I have done every single thing the reviewers have asked me to do)
Finish podcasts for my online class (Monday)
Go to service meeting on campus (Monday)

Do annoying family admin
toddler B-day party for friend

New:
Exam writing and grading for online course

Long-term:
Start putting together everything for pre-tenure review

The family admin got pushed to later in the week, maybe tomorrow?

Good luck with the "dreaded track-changes", Polly!

octoprof

We are now in the last land of our holiday. Much relaxing, sleeping, eating, and so forth. Also, went to see a doctor about a minor problem and now on more meds. Ugh. But at least I don't have to worry that it'll blow into something major on the trip home.

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, grade some stuff, do some PT, read a little, write postcards, grade that one problematic exam, sew on the thing,  write down all the scheduled conference calls for the coming week, prep for today's conference call, reschedule Rhonda, more our stuff from the office room to the living room in anticipation of more overnight visitors arriving, sit outside in the lovely weather, conference call at 4pm.

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails
571: daily grading and emails
Prep for Fall
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Julian: Do my thing, Next conference call:7/18 4pm
Mentoring
Rhonda: What is that last email about? Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: TBD

Service/Admin

Personal
Back on the PT bandwagon - July: 17,
Vaguely start thinking about menu planning for mid-August: drafting list in Excel
Sort doctor appointments - Move late Sept PCP to August? When is dental check up?

polly_mer

Golazo, good luck on that pre-tenure review assembly.  Have you been using Octoprof's recommendation to put literally everything in a folder/box as it comes up so your materials are all in one place for the initial sort?

Professional

• Write my next assigned section for the dreaded track-changes paper
  • Notify my co-lead that I'm taking the secretary up on her offer to organize monthly writing group meetings so we go forward
  • Complete the draft for that paper and send it around for internal comment
  • Go visit the relevant people to discuss what to do with the project where the software just isn't ready yet, it's not my task to make it ready, and the clock is ticking to report on progress for this project
  • Go visit more people to work on the revised plan for the project where the clock is ticking
  • Block out the team programming schedule for the project where the clock is ticking and we've decided duct tape and chewing gum is the only option

Personal

• Sign the documents with the lawyer and get the documents distributed to where they need to go
  • Break out the ancient laptop and continue working on the conversion from the physical card catalog to an electronic data base.  The laptop is so I can sit in the library while I do it in case I have to double check something.
  • Write as many post-it notes as it takes to let go of some of the books as I convert from physical card catalog to electronic data base.  Giving the books away means I don't have to do as much new data entry.
  • Take a few boxes of books to the donation center to make room to unpack new books
  • Tackle the "new" boxes of books that were recently retrieved.  Remain strong in sorting for donations.
[/quote]

mamselle

Today-only list (parts already done...)

1. Hair care - in process
2. Practice - done
3. Front rm cleaning- mmmm, more to do
4. Pack to go to library:
     A. Drop off more books for friend who's moving
     B. Print PR pgs for tours, dx
     C. Print more of .pdf bk I found, does a lot I was going to have to do, yea!
     D. Work on hx bk a bit if there's time
5. Go teach
6. Go do departure prayers at friend's former (40 yrs, now) apt., say thanks to it for shelter, creative work done their, friends received and made welcome--then let it go...)
7. To her new place, blessings on her arrival in each room.
8. Home
9. Editing x 2 pp.
10. Prep for lessons, tours, tomorrow.
11. Reply c. new poss. PR opportunity
12. Ponder NP issues, start applying out
13. Sleep
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

octoprof

The new med is just making me stupid and sleepy. Well, perhaps MORE stupid and MORE sleepy.

Dept Head has informed me that (due to circumstances beyond our department's control) I now need to teach another course in Fall semester (i.e. starting a month from now). I have not taught this course online before and only once in a traditional classroom. Now I will teach it online to graduate students (not done that before either) using our CMS for the last semester this CMS will be used, and I will be teaching an extra course for no pay. Yes, I am cranky. At least it's online and not live. But still.

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, grade some stuff, do some PT, read a little, write postcards, sew on the thing,  write down all the scheduled conference calls for the coming week, reschedule Rhonda, more our stuff from the oldest child's room to the office room (where we sleep) since the extra overnight visitors are now gone, sit outside in the lovely weather, start thinking through new course design.

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails √
571: daily grading and emails √
Prep for Fall
512 - Build from scratch; Draft a list of what needs to be done
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Julian: Do my thing, Next conference call: 7/25 4pm
Mentoring
Rhonda: What is that last email about? Read something from student's folder, make to do list, next call: TBD

Service/Admin

Personal

polly_mer

Quote from: octoprof on July 19, 2019, 04:27:06 AM

Dept Head has informed me that (due to circumstances beyond our department's control) I now need to teach another course in Fall semester (i.e. starting a month from now). I have not taught this course online before and only once in a traditional classroom. Now I will teach it online to graduate students (not done that before either) using our CMS for the last semester this CMS will be used, and I will be teaching an extra course for no pay. Yes, I am cranky. At least it's online and not live. But still.

Online can be worse because it's harder to let a great discussion or planned activity take up a little extra time this week so that next week's topic is really ready.

Good luck!

Today's list for me

• Conference call on the track-changes project
  • Visit to financial planner to continue wrapping up the lawyer documents
  • Progress on the project I haven't even mentioned here that needs to be wrapped up soon
  • Personal library work unpacking and cataloging

octoprof

Quote from: polly_mer on July 19, 2019, 05:04:02 AM

Online can be worse because it's harder to let a great discussion or planned activity take up a little extra time this week so that next week's topic is really ready.

Good luck!

Yup. Our masters program is all online so I'm used to it but this course is new to me and I have to work out how to get them discussing well because I think it really matters in this particular course.

Thanks.

Cheerful

I will be teaching an extra course for no pay.

So, the following semester you will have a course reduction to compensate for this overload with no pay?  Otherwise, I don't get it.

octoprof

Quote from: Cheerful on July 19, 2019, 04:34:25 PM

I will be teaching an extra course for no pay.

So, the following semester you will have a course reduction to compensate for this overload with no pay?  Otherwise, I don't get it.

I will be department head by then. My DH course reduction has been eaten by this course which our masters students need because the department that was supposed to teach another course cannot. Damned if I do, damned if I don't, but at least long term this course will now exist and be mine.

In theory I could teach NO courses in Spring but then, there's a course that is only in Spring and I'm the only person who teaches it...

octoprof

Another day of perfect weather. I do not miss home at the moment.

Today I really must:
Email students a general reminder, grade some stuff, ride the bike to the grocery store, do some PT, read a little, write postcards, sew on the thing,  reschedule Rhonda, unpack all the stuff and organize it so we can live for the next two weeks or so without chaos, sit outside in the lovely weather, start thinking through new course design.

Teaching
In Progress
201: daily grading and emails √
571: daily grading and emails √
Prep for Fall
512 - Build from scratch; Draft a list of what needs to be done
Prep for Spring

Research
Projects
Julian: Do my thing, Next conference call: 7/25 4pm
Mentoring

Service/Admin

Personal

Puget

Ok, I need to join you guys over here for a bit-- I'm closing on a house Friday and the number of things to do is insane. I keep thinking it's almost done and then there are more things. . .

House

• Go to bank and wire all the money to closing attorney (gulp)
  • Contact utility companies to switch them to me: power, gas, sewer/water (city) (internet later when I actually move)
  • Follow up with plumber to accept estimate and schedule work
  • Follow up with third floor place re: estimate. Choose between the 3 companies and schedule work
  • Get details on schedule for Friday, assemble things I need to bring

Work

• DP review
  • JAD review
  • Feedback on grad #2s paper draft
[/list]
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Puget

OK made some progress yesterday, on to today:

House

• Go to bank and wire all the money to closing attorney (gulp) Sent and received
  • Contact utility companies to switch them to me: power, gas, sewer/water (city) Done
  • Follow up with plumber to accept estimate and schedule work
  • Follow up with third floor place re: estimate. Choose between the 3 companies and schedule work (Haven't heard back from 3rd floor place guy. Will give him one more chance w/ phone message today.
  • Get details on schedule for Friday, assemble things I need to bring

Work

• DP review
  • JAD review
  • Feedback on grad #2s paper draft
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes