Hooray For ME! (Announce your victories both large and small here!)

Started by clean, June 02, 2020, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

This is on the level of "hilarious but I didn't do what I'm being commended for" references.

As anyone on Academia may know, there is a feedback on citations that will list your references in others' documents.

I have about a dozen real ones on my work in the humanities/history/arts/etc.

But there's someone with my name, or close to it, and same first initial, who does work on the presence of testosterone in female salivary samples...and I'm constantly having to decline those as part of my citations list!

Clearly, I went into the wrong field...

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wareagle

I love this thread.  It is so great - not just sharing one's personal victories, but hearing about so many others.

Congrats, all!  I am toasting you with a nice cold IPA.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

mamselle

Has it really been exactly a year since anyone has had a victory to celebrate???

Well, I'm celebrating.

I had to combine a younger (8-going-on 90) student's intro theory work with an older class because of schedule changes (his).

I had a feeling they could work well together, but kept reminding myself it might blow up in my face.

Ha!!

The 8-year-old nailed it, and it looks like he's going to be keeping the others on their toes.

Tee-hee.....so happy when a hunch pays off.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

Quote from: mamselle on June 11, 2021, 02:14:27 PM
Has it really been exactly a year since anyone has had a victory to celebrate???
Well, I'm celebrating.
I had to combine a younger (8-going-on 90) student's intro theory work with an older class because of schedule changes (his).
I had a feeling they could work well together, but kept reminding myself it might blow up in my face.
Ha!!
The 8-year-old nailed it, and it looks like he's going to be keeping the others on their toes.
Tee-hee.....so happy when a hunch pays off.
M.

Yay for the wise youngster, the older class, and you, Mamselle for helping people grow and learn! : )
Nice, indeed, to read good news after a year lag on this thread.

ergative

Yes, good news thread! Bravo for reviving it.

My department has confirmed that they'll provide the $1000 for color printing charges of my big article. They've also agreed to buy 10 (TEN!) pieces of lab equipment that I've been requesting just two units of on equipment bids over the last three years, and a year-long subscription to an online service that we thought would be useful. They are clearly rolling in the cash they saved this year with no travel expenses!

mamselle

Wow, the photo subventions alone are impressive.

Enjoy the new equipment, too!

M.

apl68

Congratulations to both of you, mamselle and ergative!

My victory is that I've resumed being able to write something substantial for the first time since things started going wrong for me two and a half years ago.  Now on my third chapter, and my mind is humming.  It feels so good to have that ability restored.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Whoo--hooooo!!!

Yes, there's a...."writing cave," or a "writing tunnel," or some kind of writing space that we seem to move in and out of.

For the past three weeks I've been looking for the entrance to whatever that structure is that allows for the writing of pieces not necessarily "expected" by others for conferences, presentations, etc.

I might have just happened on it this week in the underbrush, I guess I got away from it for a bit and it got covered in gorse-bushes!

M. 

AmLitHist

Quote from: wareagle on June 05, 2020, 10:55:31 AM
Thanks, all.  I never expected to get back into my profession, so it is a real boost.

Adding my congratulations--great news, WarEagle!  ETA:  sorry it's a year late--I didn't even notice I was so far behind! I hope the new job is going well!

From here:  Daughter #2 and I did most of the work to replace the window AC in her room on this hot, hot day (with calling on ALHS only for the lifting to remove the old and install the new). 

Parasaurolophus

I decided I should claim a refund for a plane ticket I bought ages ago, which was cancelled due to the pandemic, converted to a voucher, and can now be converted to a full refund (thanks to the federal government). Turns out I was 1.5 hours away from the deadline. Woohoo!
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 12, 2021, 01:06:39 PM
From here:  Daughter #2 and I did most of the work to replace the window AC in her room on this hot, hot day (with calling on ALHS only for the lifting to remove the old and install the new).

Yes! Hooray for AC!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 12, 2021, 10:37:49 PM
I decided I should claim a refund for a plane ticket I bought ages ago, which was cancelled due to the pandemic, converted to a voucher, and can now be converted to a full refund (thanks to the federal government). Turns out I was 1.5 hours away from the deadline. Woohoo!

Nicely done! Somehow it's more satisfying to accomplish a task if there was a chance you were going to miss the deadline and then you didn't.

Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2021, 07:37:25 AM
For the past three weeks I've been looking for the entrance to whatever that structure is that allows for the writing of pieces not necessarily "expected" by others for conferences, presentations, etc.

I might have just happened on it this week in the underbrush, I guess I got away from it for a bit and it got covered in gorse-bushes!

M. 

Quote from: apl68 on June 12, 2021, 06:35:44 AM
My victory is that I've resumed being able to write something substantial for the first time since things started going wrong for me two and a half years ago.  Now on my third chapter, and my mind is humming.  It feels so good to have that ability restored.

Bravo to both of you. It's wonderful to feel intellectually productive. I haven't had that for some months, alas.

mamselle

After reviving my Academia alerts, which somehow got turned off at some point, I've had requests for input on three topics related to my work.

To one I turfed the review request over to other more specialized researchers; to one I sent (I hope) useful materials, and to one really egregious abstract, I gave a very clear refusal.

Sounds silly, but being asked for ones (informed) opinion is nice, sometimes...

M.

mamselle

Double-posting, albeit a few hours apart, sorry....!

My friend/colleague/client said very nice things about the color and layout on the Ppt slides I formatted for them.

AND he requested an invoice, and has another small job upcoming.

Win-win-win.

M.

Puget

I finally finished the data analysis that I've been procrastinating on all week and everything looks fine for the next step.
I'm going to give myself a cookie (literally) then go for a walk.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

sinenomine

Over the last few weeks I've had multiple (genuine) invitations to publish articles.

More immediately satisfying, I finally figured out how to get DVDs to play in full widescreen with my new TV.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."