News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

'Black' with a capital 'B' Always, and Why

Started by mahagonny, July 03, 2020, 04:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

Black Widow opened over the weekend. Did anyone see it and have something to say about it?

spork

Quote from: lightning on July 10, 2021, 09:47:13 PM
Black Widow opened over the weekend. Did anyone see it and have something to say about it?

Colin Jost is a lucky man.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

I haven't been inside a movie theater in years.  Pondering why.....

Hegemony

We saw Black Widow in a double feature with Cruella. Cruella was a little too long, but inventive and beautifully designed and witty. Black Widow was a paint-by-numbers superhero thriller without many thrills. It's not a good sign when your movie is massively outclassed by Cruella.

Istiblennius

We shelled out for the kids and their buddies to watch Black Widow on Disney + and they all enjoyed it quite a bit.
It was good that we weren't in the theater since they all yelled "Hopper" everytime Red Guardian was on screen.

Hegemony

I am really looking forward to the new Wes Anderson film, The French Dispatch. The only trouble is not knowing how it will be available. Things always seem to come out on streaming services to which I am not subscribed, and if I were to subscribe to all of them, I'd be subscribed to twelve different services each of which I'd use once a year. Which seems infuriating.

Right now we are not yet venturing back into indoor movie theatres, so we have to hope it comes to the drive-in. But unfortunately it doesn't seem like a drive-in movie. Our local drive-in doesn't tell you what movies are coming until about two days beforehand, so there's a lot of suspense about what will be available. On the up side, it's always a double feature, sometimes a triple feature, for the same price. And a couple of weeks ago it was even a quadruple feature.

Any other Forumites going to a drive-in these days?

lightning

I saw Black Widow, tonight. I think they could have cut out about 20-25 minutes of back story stuff that I didn't really think was necessary in a Marvel Superhero movie. Like Hegemony said, it's about what you expect from a Marvel superhero movie, but the character of Black Widow's little sister made it slightly more entertaining. I should note that Black Widow always had a capital 'B.'

larryc

Many white people are amazingly fragile.

mahagonny

Quote from: larryc on July 18, 2021, 08:09:19 AM
Many white people are amazingly fragile.

Ever since the damned government freed my slaves...

nebo113

Quote from: Hegemony on July 12, 2021, 07:15:05 PM
I am really looking forward to the new Wes Anderson film, The French Dispatch. The only trouble is not knowing how it will be available. Things always seem to come out on streaming services to which I am not subscribed, and if I were to subscribe to all of them, I'd be subscribed to twelve different services each of which I'd use once a year. Which seems infuriating.

Right now we are not yet venturing back into indoor movie theatres, so we have to hope it comes to the drive-in. But unfortunately it doesn't seem like a drive-in movie. Our local drive-in doesn't tell you what movies are coming until about two days beforehand, so there's a lot of suspense about what will be available. On the up side, it's always a double feature, sometimes a triple feature, for the same price. And a couple of weeks ago it was even a quadruple feature.

Any other Forumites going to a drive-in these days?

Been far too long since I've been to the drive in.  We do have one about 20 miles from here, which is reasonable but I want a driver so I can drink and sleep on the roof of the vehicle!

Hegemony

Our local drive-in has a camp-out option once a month. That is, you can pitch your tent at the back of the drive-in, stay for all four movies, or turn in whenever you like, and then get up the next morning and leave then. It's a grassy area surrounded by trees, not one of those bleak gravel drive-ins you sometimes find, so it would be a great spot to pitch a tent.  However, they do prohibit alcohol at the drive-in, for obvious reasons. I don't know how many people sneak it in anyway, but I'm grateful not to have to cope with groups of loud partiers.

apl68

I'm not old enough to remember when there were drive-ins open in our region.  There used to be two in this county.  You can still see their ruins if you know where to look.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

lightning

Quote from: Hegemony on July 19, 2021, 12:11:43 PM
Our local drive-in has a camp-out option once a month. That is, you can pitch your tent at the back of the drive-in, stay for all four movies, or turn in whenever you like, and then get up the next morning and leave then. It's a grassy area surrounded by trees, not one of those bleak gravel drive-ins you sometimes find, so it would be a great spot to pitch a tent.  However, they do prohibit alcohol at the drive-in, for obvious reasons. I don't know how many people sneak it in anyway, but I'm grateful not to have to cope with groups of loud partiers.

What a great idea.

Quote from: apl68 on July 19, 2021, 01:05:14 PM
I'm not old enough to remember when there were drive-ins open in our region.  There used to be two in this county.  You can still see their ruins if you know where to look.

Abandoned drive-ins are great for shooting off fireworks.

Anselm

Quote from: nebo113 on July 11, 2021, 04:36:30 AM
I haven't been inside a movie theater in years.  Pondering why.....

Let me help you.  Most of the movies are awful along with the rude audience.  You are not missing out on anything.

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.