News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Hy-Flex Curriculum: Now a Required ADA Accommodation?

Started by Aster, February 11, 2022, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: Aster on February 22, 2022, 06:08:21 AM
Quote from: Caracal on February 21, 2022, 10:12:02 AM
Quote from: Aster on February 21, 2022, 09:59:38 AM
Quote from: Mobius on February 18, 2022, 01:40:50 PM
I had to tell students the first day of class that Zoom class was not an option if they can't come. F2F or bust.

I think that every one of us has had that conversation within the last year.

As schools and universities reopen more and more, paid ZOOM licenses are going to be expiring en masse. I have been mildly curious to see how many of ZOOM's 4,000+ employees will be left by 2023.

Well, I'm still using Zoom to have individual meetings with students on days when I'm not on campus, or when students can't make it to campus but want to meet with me. I doubt universities are that big a portion of Zoom business anyway and many companies have realized that they can save a lot of money by having many people do much of their work remotely.

I believe that you may be underestimating universities. You might be only thinking about ones based out of the U.S., rather than globally. Although checking ZOOM's financials, the bulk of their revenue stream is still coming out of the Americas.

But it is the K-12 schools that are by far the greater customers.

The education sector currently makes up one of the larger profit categories for ZOOM, with at least 100,000 separate institutions using it. ZOOM subsidies for education were extremely generous during the pandemic. Indeed, ZOOM's CEO was extraordinarily charitable to the education sector during covid. But most of the ZOOM subsidies, discounts, and free accounts for schools are either already gone or will be going away soon.

Don't get me wrong, ZOOM is still a very good bargain, and a great piece of software But the company is cresting the top of its growth wave right now, and most economists are predicting a plunge in 2022. And a lot of schools will probably be cutting the cord in 2022. My own institution has been wanting to do it for over a year now, but between covid resurgences and vigorous faculty pushback, we're still holding onto our ZOOM license for the short term.

Yeah, could be. I suppose that if you're just having one one one meetings, there's not much need for Zoom. I could just as easily use the university gmail system.

the_geneticist

My Spring classes are "in person only".  No hybrid/remote/online/hyflex/etc.  Students are registering right now.  I'll likely have to send out a few reminders.

Puget

Quote from: Aster on February 22, 2022, 06:08:21 AM
Quote from: Caracal on February 21, 2022, 10:12:02 AM
Quote from: Aster on February 21, 2022, 09:59:38 AM
Quote from: Mobius on February 18, 2022, 01:40:50 PM
I had to tell students the first day of class that Zoom class was not an option if they can't come. F2F or bust.

I think that every one of us has had that conversation within the last year.

As schools and universities reopen more and more, paid ZOOM licenses are going to be expiring en masse. I have been mildly curious to see how many of ZOOM's 4,000+ employees will be left by 2023.

Well, I'm still using Zoom to have individual meetings with students on days when I'm not on campus, or when students can't make it to campus but want to meet with me. I doubt universities are that big a portion of Zoom business anyway and many companies have realized that they can save a lot of money by having many people do much of their work remotely.

I believe that you may be underestimating universities. You might be only thinking about ones based out of the U.S., rather than globally. Although checking ZOOM's financials, the bulk of their revenue stream is still coming out of the Americas.

But it is the K-12 schools that are by far the greater customers.

The education sector currently makes up one of the larger profit categories for ZOOM, with at least 100,000 separate institutions using it. ZOOM subsidies for education were extremely generous during the pandemic. Indeed, ZOOM's CEO was extraordinarily charitable to the education sector during covid. But most of the ZOOM subsidies, discounts, and free accounts for schools are either already gone or will be going away soon.

Don't get me wrong, ZOOM is still a very good bargain, and a great piece of software But the company is cresting the top of its growth wave right now, and most economists are predicting a plunge in 2022. And a lot of schools will probably be cutting the cord in 2022. My own institution has been wanting to do it for over a year now, but between covid resurgences and vigorous faculty pushback, we're still holding onto our ZOOM license for the short term.

I'm sure some will drop it, but we had paid accounts before COVID as did most research universities I'm familiar with-- it was already used a lot for collaborations with colleagues elsewhere.

It's pretty crazy that what was a fairly niche product was successfully scaled up to something literally everyone and their mother used for everything with hardly a glitch (a bit of slowness in the beginning that got resolved quickly). Surely something that will be taught as a case study in business schools for years to come.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

+1

Maybe a three-part case, like, one on how it started, and one on pre-Covid, and one on, well, post-Covid if we ever get there....

The questions for each section would be interesting to write.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.