Author Topic: The TV Series Thread  (Read 4967 times)

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
Re: The TV Series Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
Has anyone here watched Bosch on Amazon, and is it worth my time to commit to it?  I've seen passing references online and done a bit of very cursory searching about it.  I love old film noir from the '40s and modern network procedurals like the original NCIS and the two FBIs. I don't care for the Dick Wolfe NBC shows (Chicagos and Law & Orders).  Bosch seems like a mix of the straight procedural with the noir that I might like.  I don't really want to invest several hours just to walk away, though, if forumites can help with some reviews.

Other suggestions for shows that might fill the bill are also welcome.

We loved Bosch - all 7 seasons.  Interesting characters, often solving moral dilemmas.  Not especially violent.  Titus Welliver is great as Bosch, Lance Reddick plays an interesting chief of police (is he a good guy or a bad guy?) and 2 older detectives - Crate and Barrel - are a hoot.  Lots of politicking mixed in with policing

I've never seen the show but read almost all the books.

Very tangled, very well- managed.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2021, 04:50:30 PM »

Now re-watching all of "Lewis."

M.

Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed "Lewis." I've been thinking of buying a PBS subscription just to watch it again. I enjoyed the interaction between Lewis and Hathaway.

I just finished watching both series of "Manifest" on Netflix. It was interesting, I got drawn in more than I thought I would. A friend thinks I need to watch "A Discovery of Witches" so I may see about getting a free week of whatever streaming service I don't have (don't remember where it is off the top of my head, but not Netflix or Prime, which I do have) and check it out.

onthefringe

• CHE Posts: 2085
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2021, 05:55:47 PM »
Ted Lasso which was just as sweet and wholesome as everyone said it was

Leverage Redemption Parker and Eliot are still my favorites. Interested to see where they go after the first couple (which were very clearly based on the Sackler family....)

Sun_Worshiper

« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2021, 06:45:11 PM »
You folks going to watch The Chair on Netflix?

onthefringe

• CHE Posts: 2085
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2021, 07:00:05 PM »
You folks going to watch The Chair on Netflix?

That’s quite a cast! I feel like David Morse would make a very intimidating Dean. I can see giving it a shot...

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2021, 07:29:55 PM »
Finished Lewis, doing Morse now.

I suppose if I'm working backwards, I'll have to catch up on Endeavor after that; saw a few of the early ones but none after the 1st season.

Then....hmmm....There are several seasons of "Vera," and "Call the Midwife," and whole decades of "The Bill" to return to.

Have to balance these carefully between getting actual work done, and...well...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
Leverage Redemption! I've now seen the first 8 episodes.

Loved the original Leverage. The new reboot is also good so far, but doesn't quite seem to have found its footing yet. I like the new character Breanna. She's got bright and talented and spunky and quick-learning but inexperienced and sometimes too impulsive down.  Harry Wilson seems a bit stiff and flat though. I'm not thrilled that the writers seem to have undone a lot of the character development Parker went through over the course of the original series. Sophie's grief over Nate, however, I think is working.

AmLitHist

« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2021, 02:22:14 PM »
I started season 1 of 24 over the weekend.  Oh.....my......GOSH!  I saw and loved the final few seasons, but was in grad school/caring for Mom/had 2 teen girls when it was first on.  It's great to go all the way back and see how solid it was from the start.

I knew, but had forgotten, that this premiered November 6, 2001--less than 2 months after 9/11.  It's very much a show of its time, but it also holds up 20 years later.

Anyone else here a Blacklist fan?  I know I'm in the minority, but I'm fine with the end of this most recent season. I've always been Team Red all the way.

ab_grp

• CHE Posts: 7,653
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »
I started season 1 of 24 over the weekend.  Oh.....my......GOSH!  I saw and loved the final few seasons, but was in grad school/caring for Mom/had 2 teen girls when it was first on.  It's great to go all the way back and see how solid it was from the start.

I knew, but had forgotten, that this premiered November 6, 2001--less than 2 months after 9/11.  It's very much a show of its time, but it also holds up 20 years later.

Anyone else here a Blacklist fan?  I know I'm in the minority, but I'm fine with the end of this most recent season. I've always been Team Red all the way.

24 is definitely a heart pounder at times! Aside from some annoying characters and the amount of disbelief one needs to suspend, we really enjoyed it (I've seen it twice through).

As for Blacklist I think I have seen at least the first season, maybe part or all of a second.  I really liked that one too but just lost track of it at some point.  Is it pretty good throughout? Maybe we'll pick it up if so.