News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonsensical

We've been watching The Office - started in March and just finished the last episode now, so it's basically been keeping us company during COVID, and it's a bit weird to think about the continuation of COVID nonsense without the ability to relax with The Office and forget about disease for a bit. I'm very glad that we got to it before it leaves Netflix in a few months.

spork

Quote from: nonsensical on December 05, 2020, 01:57:01 PM
We've been watching The Office - started in March and just finished the last episode now, so it's basically been keeping us company during COVID, and it's a bit weird to think about the continuation of COVID nonsense without the ability to relax with The Office and forget about disease for a bit. I'm very glad that we got to it before it leaves Netflix in a few months.

Oh my. I'm only on Season 5. I need to speed up.

Finished watching Queen's Gambit, which I really liked. I don't see how a second season could compare though, if one is in the works.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

I found the original Mouseketeer re-runs.

Bliss.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

I just realized last week that Nurse Jackie is on Netflix. But, it too goes away Dec. 30, so I'm on a binge.

wareagle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 13, 2020, 04:32:52 PM
I just realized last week that Nurse Jackie is on Netflix. But, it too goes away Dec. 30, so I'm on a binge.

I binged it over October and November.  Excellent show.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

spork

I watched the limited series Waco on Netflix. I like Michael Shannon as an actor and think his performance was good. But I thought the story was not as complex as it could have been, and a noticeable portion of the dialogue was purely expositional. Same for some of the characters. The show does point out what happens when a government adopts a military posture against its own citizens.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nonsensical

Quote from: wareagle on December 14, 2020, 06:20:42 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 13, 2020, 04:32:52 PM

I binged it over October and November.  Excellent show.

I agree! I've watched it twice. I liked Jackie much more the first time around, and it was interesting to see how my impressions shifted the second time around. But, the show was good both times.

nebo113

Quote from: Larimar on December 05, 2020, 09:47:38 AM
We're watching the original Mission Impossible from the 60's here. It's an intelligent and fun show, groundbreaking for its time. The acting is mostly good. I also love the music. It's also fun to point out the plot holes, and the very dated fashions, sets, and vehicles are a hoot. Excuse me, they're groovy!

I'm ancient enough to have watched it when it was being aired.  We called it MFR.....Mission F*cking Ridiculous....and watched avidly.  Also Hee Haw was and still is a big favorite.....as sexist as it is!

Sun_Worshiper

I've been watching Fargo on Hulu.  It is good, especially if you like the Coen Brothers (although they don't direct the episodes, they do produce, and obviously it is inspired by the movie of the same name).  The series is done as an anthology, so each season stands alone and overall they are each quite good.  But the endings don't quite bring it all together and a little of the quirky Coen Bros style goes a long way for me.  Still, I do recommend.

I also recently watched Lovecraft Country on HBO.  This is a horror/adventure story, with Lovecraftian monsters and a civil rights angle.  It is an entertaining adventure and the acting is great, but the show can drag a bit and fully connects.

mamselle

Just told a friend who's in love with Lovecraft about this.

My French friends also like his work.

Not sure why--maybe they read it in English lit classes; they also love E.A.Poe...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

What timing! I just wrapped up watching Sex and the City and a friend recommended Succession. Watched the first episode last night. Those people scare me a bit.

I'm also watching Madame Secretary.

mamselle

You should pair the latter with "Call Me Madam"!

M.

ciao_yall

Quote from: nonsensical on December 05, 2020, 01:57:01 PM

Have you seen the article in The New Yorker about the recent reboom in interest in the show?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/12/14/why-do-we-still-love-the-office

larryc

Morden

The Detectorists--British comedy about people who enjoy metal detecting.