Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: sprout on July 30, 2020, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 30, 2020, 02:09:54 PM
My suggestions, off the top of my head, (some are 'antenna/dumb' (D) tv and some are Netflix (N), Hulu (H) or Prime (P)):

The Twilight Zone (D)

Twilight Zone is on both Netflix and Hulu (not sure about Prime).  But Netflix does not have season 4.  I assume there's some licensing weirdness.

Good point. I forgot about that. I usually fall asleep watching The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents on dumb tv.

Wahoo Redux

Better Call Saul.
Better Call Saul.

Everyone!
Better Call Saul.

Which, of course, is a spin-off of the brilliant Breaking Bad.

And

Episodes
Episodes

Episodes with Matt LeBlanc.  Absolutely hilarious and very, very smart. 

I have no idea why these are not the hottest shows in the world.

Ozark is also cool.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ab_grp

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 30, 2020, 04:08:50 PM
Better Call Saul.
Better Call Saul.

Everyone!
Better Call Saul.

I really want to watch this but see there is one more season to go (in 2021), so I have been holding off.  I've heard such great things.

Similarly, Ozark has been highly recommended but is a bit dark?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 30, 2020, 04:08:50 PM
Better Call Saul.
Better Call Saul.

Everyone!
Better Call Saul.

And

Episodes
Episodes

Episodes with Matt LeBlanc.  Absolutely hilarious and very, very smart. 

I have no idea why these are not the hottest shows in the world.

Ozark is also cool.

OMG. I forgot! Yes! Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

spork

Started season two of Umbrella Academy. So far, it's just as entertaining as the first season. Love the deadpan humor.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

sprout

Quote from: spork on August 03, 2020, 04:58:44 AM
Started season two of Umbrella Academy. So far, it's just as entertaining as the first season. Love the deadpan humor.

We started season two this weekend too.  I like it possibly even better than season one so far.  The only annoying thing is the sound balance.  We have to watch with the remote in hand so we can turn the volume massively down when a music sequence comes on, and then back up to actually hear them talking.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: sprout on August 03, 2020, 08:34:18 AM
Quote from: spork on August 03, 2020, 04:58:44 AM

We started season two this weekend too.  I like it possibly even better than season one so far. The only annoying thing is the sound balance. We have to watch with the remote in hand so we can turn the volume massively down when a music sequence comes on, and then back up to actually hear them talking.

Same.

ab_grp

Do you watch with subtitles? I think we started with Breaking Bad (which we mostly watched in Spanish subtitles but had to switch to English when the characters actually spoke Spanish), and we've done so ever since.  The volume balance is rarely optimal in any show or movie these days.  Having the subtitles on can be a little distracting depending on where they are placed, but it has really helped me follow the dialogue better and pick up on key aspects I would have missed by not hearing or mishearing what was happening.  I might have mentioned it elsewhere, but it was strange that Breaking Bad seemed to have different subtitle language options for each season! So I am not sure how much continuity would be possible for individuals who need the subtitles across the series and don't speak enough of the languages available. 

sprout

I almost always have the subtitles on, but I do like to be able to hear dialogue as well. There's such a huge difference in volume for Umbrella Academy that I either have to accept blaringly loud music, barely-audible dialogue, or adjusting volume as needed.

Morden

Speaking of subtitles--a good Norwegian detective series is Wisting (the characters speak Norwegian amongst themselves, though they switch to English when dealing with visiting American detectives).
I have also recently enjoyed the first two seasons of Fortitude, a British thriller series.

wareagle

I just finished bingeing Rake on Netflix.  An Australian dramedy about a shyster lawyer that is irreverant, profane, and hysterical.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

hmaria1609

I bought the complete "Hetty Wainthropp Investigates" box set. Dame Patricia Routledge plays the eponymous role. The series was on PBS's "Mystery!" in the late 1990s; the BBC canceled the series despite its success.

polly_mer

Quote from: Morden on August 04, 2020, 07:11:27 AM
Speaking of subtitles--a good Norwegian detective series is Wisting (the characters speak Norwegian amongst themselves, though they switch to English when dealing with visiting American detectives).
I have also recently enjoyed the first two seasons of Fortitude, a British thriller series.

We have closed captioning on for everything and loved Fortitude.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

cathwen

My husband and I just started Umbrella Academy last night and loved it!  We've seen only one episode and have not noticed the imbalance between music and dialog so far.  But, having been warned, I sat with the remote in hand just in case, and will continue to do so.  So, thanks for the multiple recommendations!

Another show on Netflix that I very much enjoyed is Fallet.  It involves a barely competent English detective who must go to Sweden to work with a barely competent Swedish detective on a case involving the murder of an Englishman in Sweden.  Most of it is in English, but the Swedish parts are subtitled.  It is very funny!

evil_physics_witchcraft

We started watching Monk, again, from the beginning. There's a Peacock TV short on Youtube with Monk, if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4W2xmqjvx4