News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I started watching Grimm on Prime. Predictable, but the universe is interesting. It seems like a new animorph-type character is introduced each episode.

hmaria1609

Quote from: cathwen on January 12, 2021, 07:43:58 AM
We have recorded All Creatures Great and Small but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.  I'm dying to see it.  I've seen the trailers, and of all the characters, I think that the new, younger Mrs. Hall will be hard to get used to.  The actor who plays Tristan was in The Durells in Corfu. It's a similar kind of role—the slightly less responsible/unsettled younger brother.
Anna Madeley, who plays Mrs. Hall, has been in other shows and movies. These are the three I best remember seeing her: Miss Ravillious, the accessories dept. head on "Mr. Selfridge" 1st season, Lucy Steele in Sense & Sensibility (2008), and Isabella Beeton in "The Secret Life of Mrs. Beeton" (2006).

Callum Woodhouse played Leslie Durrell on the "Durrells in Corfu." It's his 2nd round with animals as part of the show.

Economizer

I don't know if it, a wildlife show, can be termed a series but I found "Hope in the Wild" to be very entertaining. The main subjects were animal recuperation although the program is quite informative and features a gentle and mild humor.

Today the opening spoke of groundhogs, saying that they, those, were commonly called woodchucks. I did not know that! I do think that beavers more readily deserve that distinction though. But, who am I to say. The very mention of the word woodchuck, however, causes me to ask, myself, "How many?".

This episode also featured successful and ongoing treatment of a variety of avian and marine creatures. Their handling was quite a chore and exciting to watch! Oh, and quite a few young chicks were in the action, and I ain't talkin' birds. The principle, Hope, is more my speed though, but then I digress.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

ergative

Absolutive and I just started the BBC miniseries of 'Cranford'. I'd been putting it off because I'd read that it also included some other Gaskell novellas and I wanted to read them first, but we had ice cream and wanted to watch something, so we dove in. I must say, the seams where My Lady Ludlow was tacked onto Cranford show badly. The plots intersect at one point when the Cranford people get some ice from My Lady Ludlow's ice house, but otherwise it's two entirely distinct stories alternating scenes with each other.

hmaria1609

Quote from: ergative on January 17, 2021, 11:32:01 AM
Absolutive and I just started the BBC miniseries of 'Cranford'. I'd been putting it off because I'd read that it also included some other Gaskell novellas and I wanted to read them first, but we had ice cream and wanted to watch something, so we dove in. I must say, the seams where My Lady Ludlow was tacked onto Cranford show badly. The plots intersect at one point when the Cranford people get some ice from My Lady Ludlow's ice house, but otherwise it's two entirely distinct stories alternating scenes with each other.
I remember watching that show and "Return to Cranford" when they broadcasted on "Masterpiece."  Fun TV trivia fact: the show was shot in historic Lacock, UK. The village has been used for numerous period TV shows and movies.

ciao_yall

Just wrapped up

• Succession (new catchphrase to talk about work is to say "Season 1, Episode 2." Google it. NSFW.
  • Madame Secretary (A bit cheesy but feel-good, gets your hopes back up for the world.)
  • Queen's Gambit[ (The scenery! The costumes!

Am now starting season 2 of Big Little Lies.

ab_grp

We just finished Eureka last night.  I was worried that it wouldn't wrap up well, but I thought the finale was very satisfying overall.  We really, really enjoyed this show.  Aside from one or two characters that I personally could not stand, the characters were pretty consistently and well written, some of the episodes were completely awesome, and it really just hit all the right notes.  Funny, sad, sweet, everything.  It also seems as though it would be a total blast to act on that show.  Very relatable stuff, set in a scifi-ish context.  I'm grateful for the recommendations here! It was SO good.  I'm sad that it's over and am sure we will be rewatching this one.

Since we had become so enthralled with Eureka, we had set Killjoys aside completely, but will finish up the final two seasons over the next week or so.  It's really got potential, and there are definitely highlights, but I still think it's trying too hard to be cool. 

We also have Once upon a Time to start at some point, and I picked up Psych to add a little more humor in to the mix.

mamselle

I'm thinking of returning to Waterloo Road...I watched it all a couple of years ago.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

I like the earlier episodes of "Law and Order"--the ones with Michael Moriarty, Chris Noth, Jerry Orbach, and their L&O contemporaries. The early Sam Waterston/ Adam Hill episodes were also good. All five boroughs were represented, along with all levels of society, all immigrant communities, and all kinds of accents, local as well as ESL. The episodes were so New York. In one of the earlier episodes, the character played by Chris Noth was banished (transferred) to Staten Island because he slugged a politician; cops still get transferred to SI. The later episodes started dragging--the characters and the script got to be boring. I'm the prototypical old fogy, which explains my disdain for the later episodes and most of the spin-offs.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 09:37:00 AM
We just finished Eureka last night.  I was worried that it wouldn't wrap up well, but I thought the finale was very satisfying overall.  We really, really enjoyed this show.  Aside from one or two characters that I personally could not stand, the characters were pretty consistently and well written, some of the episodes were completely awesome, and it really just hit all the right notes.  Funny, sad, sweet, everything.  It also seems as though it would be a total blast to act on that show.  Very relatable stuff, set in a scifi-ish context.  I'm grateful for the recommendations here! It was SO good.  I'm sad that it's over and am sure we will be rewatching this one.

Since we had become so enthralled with Eureka, we had set Killjoys aside completely, but will finish up the final two seasons over the next week or so.  It's really got potential, and there are definitely highlights, but I still think it's trying too hard to be cool. 

We also have Once upon a Time to start at some point, and I picked up Psych to add a little more humor in to the mix.

Eureka was pretty good. There is a crossover with Warehouse 13 that is kind of cute.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 08, 2021, 03:38:47 PM

Eureka was pretty good. There is a crossover with Warehouse 13 that is kind of cute.

OMG.  I hadn't heard of that show either, but I looked up the episode that happened in Eureka and remember it now.  Is Warehouse 13 also good? If so, we will check that one out, too.  I'd like to see what happens in the first part of the crossover! Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of whether the Donovans from the two shows are related.  I guess I hadn't noticed the same last name.

Larimar

Quote from: ab_grp on February 08, 2021, 04:21:06 PM

OMG.  I hadn't heard of that show either, but I looked up the episode that happened in Eureka and remember it now.  Is Warehouse 13 also good? If so, we will check that one out, too.  I'd like to see what happens in the first part of the crossover! Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of whether the Donovans from the two shows are related.  I guess I hadn't noticed the same last name.

Oh, yes, Warehouse 13 is very cool!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Larimar on February 08, 2021, 04:26:34 PM

Yup. If you like sci-fi, history and various mythologies, then you'll probably like it too.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 08, 2021, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: Larimar on February 08, 2021, 04:26:34 PM

Yup. If you like sci-fi, history and various mythologies, then you'll probably like it too.

Okay, you both have convinced me.  It's on the short list.  Thanks for the heads up!

hmaria1609

I found out the other day "Downton Abbey" will be available again on PBS Passport starting Feb. 27th! Just one catch: only for 2 years.
I've seen the show on my local PBS station several times and on DVD. Still one of my fave "Masterpiece" shows.