News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB - checked definitions for Wordplay blog. An easy one, a word that I didn't realize was a word, and a "bee special."

Langue_doc

Evening!

Got the pangram and reached 400+ before they put in the eye drops.

cameo/outfling; tried the combo because of fling from the bee, and was surprised that it worked, unlike the kindle which keeps correcting the word to outgoing as I'm typing.
QB and two-fer.

Had follow up visit this morning. Everything looks good according to surgeon.

Did most of the crossword with one eye last night (other eye had the plastic thingummy over it). Other than slow reflexes and tiredness today, can't complain.

Good night!

Parasaurolophus

Finally got to genius.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB yesterday - final words were 2 bee specials papyri, carpi and something I didn't know was a word priapic. I thought of priapism but alas, no s or m.

LB - 2fer was wounds-sharply which, while cleaner than the schmofficial solution, isn't nearly as happy and cheerful.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

carpi was the last word--I was trying capri, which was rejected.

wounds/sharply

Pangram and genius; it's a difficult one today.

Happy solving, all!

OneMoreYear

Got my 1st 2-fer in today's LB! I can typically manage a 3-word solution, but am not usually patient or skilled enough to attempt 2-fers. This could mean that the puzzle is strikingly obvious to all of you, but I'm still giving myself the win.  Maybe this is a good omen for the day and my grading will go smoothly.

Glad to hear you are recovering well, Langue_doc.

onthefringe

Yesterday's 2fers: wounds-sharply, wondrous-sharply, wondrous-splashy

I'm planning to coast on that because I am so far getting absolutely nowhere with today's LB. Very impressed that OneMoreYear got a 2fer — congrats!

ciao_yall

Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 21, 2021, 06:40:51 AM
Got my 1st 2-fer in today's LB! I can typically manage a 3-word solution, but am not usually patient or skilled enough to attempt 2-fers. This could mean that the puzzle is strikingly obvious to all of you, but I'm still giving myself the win.  Maybe this is a good omen for the day and my grading will go smoothly.

Glad to hear you are recovering well, Langue_doc.

cathwen gets the 2fer almost instantly most days. The rest of us trail in her wake. Today, managed a 4fer so far with a word that I thought was foreign but hey, it took. You managed a 2fer already today with today's puzzle (top 3 letters FWU)? WOW!

Amazing and pangram, hoping to hit genius before the shower but maybe not.

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday came with some difficulty.  When Shunn wasn't helping, even with the 2-letter hints, I went to Wordplay for definitions and then got carpi and priapic.

Today I am at QB-1 and completely stymied.  The last word is probably something common that I'm not seeing for some reason (often the case).  Or, it could be one of those obscure Bee words. 

Yesterday's LB was wounds-sharply.  Onthefringe, I am impressed by your three solutions! 

I have a 2fer today, too.

Ciao_yall, I seem to get the 2fers "instantly" because I am usually up very early (darn that internal clock!) and so have a good bit of time to work on them.  My 2fers usually come after a lot of twisting and turning and brain-frying!  I agree that today's LB with FWU at the top, and a J thrown in for good measure, was not an easy one.

OneMoreYear, congratulations on finding a 2fer today!  I do think that it gets easier the more one plays.  At least, that has been true for me.  I used to be content to come up with a solution in fewer words than suggested.  Now I'm not happy until I get a two-word solution! 

Happy puzzling, everyone!

Langue_doc

Only one weird word, but I've seen it before in a couple of bees. The others are familiar ones which have also appeared in previous puzzles.

ETA twofer,  a long word followed by a short one, both familiar words.

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram and 2fer.

Found one weird word so far that I remembered from previous puzzles.

cathwen

Oof. Finally got to QB—the last one was indeed a Bee word.

Congratulations on your 2fers, ciao_yall and Langue_doc!  Langue_doc, based on your description, I'm thinking that your 2fer is the same as mine.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to QB with Shunn help for the final 3 words but had to move on.  Carpi, priapic were two of my final words yesterday.  I also tried capri and was kind of surprised it wasn't accepted.

I'm glad I held off on coming here for a bit, because I finally got a 2fer for yesterday's (wondrous-sharply) after many contenders.  And I got one today, too!

Congrats on all the victories!

Langue_doc, I am so glad to hear your follow-up went well and that recovery is going smoothly.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Done with QB and LB. Final 3 words: Nudge from Shunn, definition from Wordplay, then finally... Google, asking an expert friend, and Googling again for the final word.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

puli was my last word; lollipop and lollop were the penultimate ones.

justifying/gawk

Genius, but no pangram yet.

Happy solving, all!