News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Last words were overlooked poplin, pupil and then went on a quest to find the final word pi-. Definition from Wordplay blog "motorcycle seat" - Googled, nada. Texted a friend who is into motorcycles and she didn't know, but thought it sounded like a Harley term. Googled again with the word Harley and boom, pillion.

LB - justifyng-gawk as well. Glad you are back Langue-doc! Wonder if there were other solutions.

Just getting started this morning so not much to report. Just a pangram and 3fer.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Ugh, still 10 words left today and very stumped.  Pillion, poplin were some of our final ones.  Pangram is not a difficult word, so hopefully you will see it soon, Langue_doc!

Same LB solution.  Hopefully I will also have luck today.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I'm at Beta with the pangram today,  also with 10 words to go.  I think this will be a Shunn day, but I'll hold off a little longer.  Yesterday, my final word was lollop.  It's a word I've seen before in the Bee, but it took me forever to find it.

My LB answer was the same as everyone else's.  Today I do not yet have a 2fer, but hope springs eternal!

We're preparing for a weekend trip to see Middle Daughter and her family (we leave tomorrow).  I'm baking an apple-cinnamon twist bread for Saturday morning breakfast, so that has been occupying part of my day. 

Good luck to everyone!  And congratulations on yesterday's successes.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. I don't think I'm going to exert myself to find the remaining words.

Missed a couple of words yesterday; another couple of words that I distinctly remember entering didn't make it.

countryish/hew; didn't think that the first word would be accepted, but it was.

cathwen, enjoy your visit to daughter. Twist bread sounds delicious--could you send us a slice each?

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Langue_doc, congratulations on your LB!  I saw country, but did not think to add -ish.  I never did find a 2fer yesterday. 

I do have a 2fer today, though.

As for SB, I made QBWATHICG, so a very impure QB.  It was down to catalpa and palapa.  I looked at the definitions in Wordplay, and then googled "tree with heart-shaped leaves" and "Mexican thatched hut."  Now both words are on my Bee List.

Today I am at genius with the pangram.  Like Langue_doc, I don't think I have the energy, patience, or (especially!) time to plod to 308 points.  We'll leave for Other Northeastern State in a couple of hours.  Langue_doc, I am sending everyone a virtual slice of the cinnamon-apple twist bread!  It turned out pretty well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

We each have the same one word left today, so we'll see.  That was with help from Shunn.  It is a long puzzle, and it's too similar to one recently to be of much interest.  Palapa was our final word yesterday, which I finally stumbled upon, so an impure team QB there.  I somehow remembered catalpa from a previous puzzle.

No LB for me, either.  I had a couple things that were close, but no cigar.  Got a couple ships as well.  Congrats on getting a solution, Langue_doc! And on getting one today, cathwen!

Cathwen, enjoy your trip and visit! And thanks for sharing the cinnamon apple twist bread!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last few words WATHICG were also new ones - palp, catalpa.

LB - Went to the solver site for cousin-noteworthy which was the only solution they had and schmofficial, so a sign that it was a tough one. Had some 3fers including chewies-snort-touchy but whoah, not even close.

Barely started this morning - flight got in late last night.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

We finally finished the bee, as I figured out the final word after a lot of trying.  Luckily, my penultimate word helped a bit.

And I got a 2fer!  Yahoo.

Ciao_yall, hope your trip was fruitful!

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius without much difficulty. Now for the rest.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats, Parasaurolophus! Good luck!

I got a second 2fer since our power went out, internet went out, and that was what was cached, so not much else to do besides read conference proposals to review them.  Back on for now, at least.

ciao_yall

2fer and Beta. Trying to wait until after dinner before checking Shunn, Wordplay, etc to hit QB. Not sure why I made that rule?

Langue_doc

Woohoo ab_grp! I gave up on the bee a long time ago but found a two-fer. Hope your power outages are a thing of the past.

The crosswords have been underwhelming, to say the least. The "themes" are cute but don't seem to contribute to the solution. I stumbled on the solution to the recent one that had several instances of "hip" because I realized that I had the correct words (tepid comes to mind), but needed an extra letter for these words.

ciao_yall

QB - 2. Google didn't help and no Wordplay blog hints.

The streak ends here.

ETA: Flash for one, still at QB -1 with no Wordplay blog hints.

ETA^2 Hit the dictionary. New word. QB!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks, Langue_doc! Our power did stay on after that, though others in the area were not so fortunate.  The "hip" puzzle clue for tepid is exactly the one that tipped husband off that something was awry, but once the theme was more obvious it was easier to figure out what to do.  I had a little trouble with this morning's lower west side, but luckily not too bad for a Saturday.  Congrats on your 2fer!

And congrats to ciao_yall on the QB! I think my final words were eidetic and dietetic

We haven't gotten very far yet, as husband had to head out to pick up a bunch of cases of wine (which is a fine priority, in my opinion), so we'll get back to it in a bit.  I am right at genius with the pangram.

My LBs yesterday were marigold-deputed and remortgaged-dialup.  What did everyone else get? Those were not schmofficial, so there are other solutions out there, I guess!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Last two words were dietetic (for some reason in my brain the word has an "a" in it) and eidetic by reading the dictionary because there was no hint on the Wordplay blog. That dictionary reminds me that I took 2nd place in the junior high spelling contest. Husband wants to get rid of it but hey, that was a proud moment!

LB - rigmarole-erupted.

Genius no pangram but have a 3fer already.

Happy solving!