News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What does Fuel Cost in your Neighborhood?

Started by clean, June 18, 2019, 11:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

QuoteWith oil prices surging to the highest level since 2008, Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm called on companies to raise output.
"We are in an emergency, and we have to responsibly increase short-term supply where we can right now to stabilize the market and minimize harm to American families," she said Wednesday.

QuoteSenator Warren Wants ''Windfall Tax'' On Oil Profits. "Big Oil's first priority is to maximize profits," Warren said in a Tweet on Wednesday. "We can't let them use Putin's invasion as an excuse to pad their bottom line with war-fueled profits."

Alas, people, we can't have both.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

clean

$3.99 9/10!  Up 80 Cents in less than 10 days! 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mythbuster

I fueled up Monday at $3.99 a gallon. I pass the same gas station daily on my way to work. Tuesday it was $4.19, and Wednesday it was $4.39. So a jump of 20 cents each day.

I'm wondering how long until someone in power suggests that the oil companies might reduce their profit margins right now.

mamselle

Didn't Biden just do that (or as much as say so) in the "No profit-gouging" part of his speech the other day?

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 01, 2022, 02:05:52 PM
$3.80 yesterday.

$4.36 was the least expensive, cash or credit.

Exxon Mobil, where I usually get gas, was charging $4.25 for cash, higher for credit.

I have several long road trips coming up, so it's going to be an expensive series of trips.

dismalist

We can set the price of gasoline anywhere we want. We just won't get the quantity we want at that price or even a higher price.

Here is footage from the 1974 gasoline shortage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOi_ZgPlC1k Caused by price controls.  Clearly, less gas was produced and delivered and more was desired for consumption. The non-price rationing needed was by length of line! Great for people who put a zero value on their leisure time.

It seems people have to relearn obvious stuff every generation or two.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

It's not like the last time the barrel price was this high the pump price was, though. There's a disconnect in there. It's driven by more than just supply issues.

I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 10, 2022, 08:07:03 PM
It's not like the last time the barrel price was this high the pump price was, though. There's a disconnect in there. It's driven by more than just supply issues.

There is no reason to expect any constant relationship between crude and pump prices. There is no reason for any of us to care.

Going with Biden & Warren, if it's not supply, and if it's not demand, it would be greed. The oil companies could have gotten more greedy. Or it's more phlogiston in the atmosphere.

Control petrol prices, ration by queue, tax oil company profits, impose a General Maximum, but then don't count on more oil today. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

hmaria1609

Filled up at $4.16 at Costco yesterday.  (Same price for Sam's Club) Other stations are $4.29 and up.

hmaria1609

Thought this article from "USA Today" about gas prices varying by state would be of interest:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/03/10/high-gas-prices-states-taxes-california/6990350001/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Posted online 3/10/22
There's a survey at the end of the article.

Kron3007

Quote from: dismalist on March 10, 2022, 08:24:12 PM

There is no reason to expect any constant relationship between crude and pump prices. There is no reason for any of us to care.

Going with Biden & Warren, if it's not supply, and if it's not demand, it would be greed. The oil companies could have gotten more greedy. Or it's more phlogiston in the atmosphere.

Control petrol prices, ration by queue, tax oil company profits, impose a General Maximum, but then don't count on more oil today. :-)

You leave speculation out of your equation.  Oil prices are not just supply and demand, they also factor in perceived risk and predictions.  I don't think the current issues have much to do with actual supply issues (yet).

As for greed it isn't that oil companies get more greedy.  They have always been greedy (this is the underlying principle of capitalism, not just for oil companies), there are just times they can capitalize on a situation.

dismalist

Quote from: Kron3007 on March 14, 2022, 05:04:07 AM

You leave speculation out of your equation.  Oil prices are not just supply and demand, they also factor in perceived risk and predictions.  I don't think the current issues have much to do with actual supply issues (yet).

As for greed it isn't that oil companies get more greedy.  They have always been greedy (this is the underlying principle of capitalism, not just for oil companies), there are just times they can capitalize on a situation.

Since petrol doesn't spoil, it can be stored in the ground for a long time. In such a market, expectations of future price co-determine current supply and demand. Everybody expects Russian oil to disappear from western markets. Hence, expected future price rises. This induces current suppliers to keep more petrol in the ground. That drives up current price.

That's what speculation does -- it smooths the hit over time. We should write thank you notes to speculators. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

It has broken four dollars a gallon here in recent days, and people are very much up in arms.  Nothing much they can do, except pay up and try to economize.  Which many could do better if they didn't insist on driving vehicles large enough to pull a log truck out of a ditch.  Granted, some local folks actually DO have to pull log trucks out of ditches now and then, but most just seem to want more truck than they honestly need.

Not too worried for myself, since I drive a car that gets 42 miles per gallon on the interstate.  I am concerned for people I know who can barely afford fuel in the best of times.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Kron3007

Quote from: dismalist on March 14, 2022, 08:25:24 AM
Quote from: Kron3007 on March 14, 2022, 05:04:07 AM

Since petrol doesn't spoil, it can be stored in the ground for a long time. In such a market, expectations of future price co-determine current supply and demand. Everybody expects Russian oil to disappear from western markets. Hence, expected future price rises. This induces current suppliers to keep more petrol in the ground. That drives up current price.

That's what speculation does -- it smooths the hit over time. We should write thank you notes to speculators. :-)

As far as I can tell, production is currently the same today as it was a month ago, prices are not.  So they are not "leaving it in the ground".  I assume demand is up a bit, which explains part, but not all of the increase.  The rest is speculation, and I dont really feel like writing a thank you letter at the moment.