News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

Quote from: downer on July 20, 2021, 03:07:08 PM
Do you have to be vaccinated as a faculty member to go to campus in the fall? Has anyone said what will happen to those who refuse to do so?

Nope. It is "recommended" but not required that students and faculty are vaccinated, because vaccination is "a personal choice." All classroom are back to normal/pre-COVID capacity settings. Theoretically, unvaccinated people are supposed to continue to wear masks inside and to continue physical distancing (though how they expect unvaccinated students to physically distance when classroom are back to full capacity has not been explained).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 20, 2021, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: downer on July 20, 2021, 03:07:08 PM
Do you have to be vaccinated as a faculty member to go to campus in the fall? Has anyone said what will happen to those who refuse to do so?

Nope. It is "recommended" but not required that students and faculty are vaccinated, because vaccination is "a personal choice." All classroom are back to normal/pre-COVID capacity settings. Theoretically, unvaccinated people are supposed to continue to wear masks inside and to continue physical distancing (though how they expect unvaccinated students to physically distance when classroom are back to full capacity has not been explained).

Same here. Our state doesn't want to infringe on anyone's 'freedom' to be unvaccinated.

Parasaurolophus

Got my second dose yesterday--Pfizer first, Moderna second. It's earlier than I thought it would be, so that's nice.

So far, nothing's required at my institution. But that may change as we get closer to the fall.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2021, 04:32:41 PM
Got my second dose yesterday--Pfizer first, Moderna second. It's earlier than I thought it would be, so that's nice.

So far, nothing's required at my institution. But that may change as we get closer to the fall.

https://xkcd.com
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Our state has seen a significant spike in vaccination numbers in the past couple of days.  Looks like the new surge of COVID cases has gotten some waverers' and laggers' attention.  The vaccination numbers still aren't what they should be.

We're one of several states that has tried to bribe people to get vaccinated using a lottery.  The grand prize has now been won by an out-of-stater.  Guess that's what we get for using bribery to try to get people to do what they should be doing anyway.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

QuoteGuess that's what we get for using bribery to try to get people to do what they should be doing anyway.

No, the problem is the lottery. Give them sufficient cash with certainty and they will come!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

This morning I learned that a vaccine-hesitant staff member and her family are now working up their nerve to get vaccinated.  The local surge in cases has made them reconsider.  I'm just trying to be encouraging with them, since I know that browbeating won't work.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Caracal

Quote from: apl68 on July 21, 2021, 06:46:33 AM
This morning I learned that a vaccine-hesitant staff member and her family are now working up their nerve to get vaccinated.  The local surge in cases has made them reconsider.  I'm just trying to be encouraging with them, since I know that browbeating won't work.

That's good. My impression is that while there are some people who actually believe vaccines have chips or are magnetized, there are lots more who have basically reasonable concerns and questions which can be engaged with and addressed.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on July 20, 2021, 04:47:52 PM

Bwaha, that was great, thank you!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2021, 07:04:40 AM
Quote from: Puget on July 20, 2021, 04:47:52 PM

Bwaha, that was great, thank you!

But Zabdiel Boylston wouldn't understand....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

I really think Biden should just call it the "Trump Vaccine," and that might get some of the politically motivated vaccine-hesitant citizens to get the poke.

Puget

Quote from: lightning on July 21, 2021, 02:29:45 PM

I really think Biden should just call it the "Trump Vaccine," and that might get some of the politically motivated vaccine-hesitant citizens to get the poke.

Better yet, start a conspiracy theory that anti-vax conspiracy theories are a deep state false flag operation to wipe out the conservatives by persuading them not to get the vaccine so they die from COVID.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO's Mom won't get vaccinated. We're not sure why. She voted for the Mighty Orange Turd, but doesn't like him. Go figure. She also thinks the vaccine works, so she's not buying into conspiracy theories.

We've tried gentle persuasion, but in the end it's totally up to her. Any suggestions?

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 21, 2021, 03:14:36 PM
SO's Mom won't get vaccinated. We're not sure why. She voted for the Mighty Orange Turd, but doesn't like him. Go figure. She also thinks the vaccine works, so she's not buying into conspiracy theories.

We've tried gentle persuasion, but in the end it's totally up to her. Any suggestions?

Have you tried asking her why in a non-judgmental way and then just listening? It's hard to know what to do if you don't know what the problem is.

Maybe she's afraid of needles. That can be a very strong phobia for some people. If that's the case reassuring her it is a very small needle you hardly feel and she can look away so she doesn't even have to see it may help.

Maybe she's afraid of side-effects. Understanding that nearly all side effects are just your immune system doing what it is supposed to do and not anything dangerous, and that they don't generally last more than a day, may help.

Maybe she just isn't sure how to go about getting it and is embarrassed to ask. Older people will often come up with excuses not to do things that don't make a lot of sense, when the real issue is that it is too hard or confusing for them, but they don't like admitting that.
If that's the case, if you live nearby could offer to go with her and take her for a nice (outdoor) meal or other treat afterward to celebrate. Or if you don't you could still make all the arrangements and explain the process to her, with a promise of a celebration when you see her next.

Morden

My SO's mom was also very reluctant--scared of needles and distrustful of medical practitioners. We used the "well, we won't be able to come visit you then because we don't want to be responsible if you get sick" card.