Author Topic: Vaccination nation  (Read 18715 times)

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
Re: Vaccination nation
« Reply #480 on: July 21, 2021, 04:43:00 PM »
She's not afraid of needles- she's donated blood. Unfortunately, she won't go into the why. SO mentioned that she won't be able to volunteer with preemies until she gets a shot. I really don't know why she's reluctant.

apl68

« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2021, 07:16:57 AM »
This morning I learned that a vaccine-hesitant staff member and her family are now working up their nerve to get vaccinated.  The local surge in cases has made them reconsider.  I'm just trying to be encouraging with them, since I know that browbeating won't work.

I really think Biden should just call it the "Trump Vaccine," and that might get some of the politically motivated vaccine-hesitant citizens to get the poke.

I wish you'd acknowledge that it's not ALL a partisan political matter.  I'm pretty sure that this vaccine-hesitant staff member I'm talking about DIDN'T vote for Trump.  And I know a lot of people who did who have also gotten the vaccine without making any sort of a fuss over it.  This vaccine hesitancy business (And a lot of other divisive matters in our society, for that matter) goes far, far beyond simple partisan political fights.  Incredible as it may seem to some, not all of us are so wrapped up in partisan politics that they determine our stance on anything and everything.
Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on Earth, where they can decay or be stolen.  Lay up treasures for yourselves in Heaven, where there is no decay or theft.  Where your treasure is, you heart will be also.

You can't take it with you.  You can only send it on ahead.

pgher

« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2021, 07:26:01 AM »
This morning I learned that a vaccine-hesitant staff member and her family are now working up their nerve to get vaccinated.  The local surge in cases has made them reconsider.  I'm just trying to be encouraging with them, since I know that browbeating won't work.

I really think Biden should just call it the "Trump Vaccine," and that might get some of the politically motivated vaccine-hesitant citizens to get the poke.

I wish you'd acknowledge that it's not ALL a partisan political matter.  I'm pretty sure that this vaccine-hesitant staff member I'm talking about DIDN'T vote for Trump.  And I know a lot of people who did who have also gotten the vaccine without making any sort of a fuss over it.  This vaccine hesitancy business (And a lot of other divisive matters in our society, for that matter) goes far, far beyond simple partisan political fights.  Incredible as it may seem to some, not all of us are so wrapped up in partisan politics that they determine our stance on anything and everything.

My brother told me his daughters haven't been vaccinated--including a nurse and a pharmacy tech! They are clearly NOT Trump voters. But they are young and uncertain about the mRNA technology. They talk about "I Am Legend," a movie in which a vaccine turns everyone into zombies--which my brother points out is NOT a documentary.

Caracal

« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »

My brother told me his daughters haven't been vaccinated--including a nurse and a pharmacy tech! They are clearly NOT Trump voters. But they are young and uncertain about the mRNA technology. They talk about "I Am Legend," a movie in which a vaccine turns everyone into zombies--which my brother points out is NOT a documentary.

What's weird about this sort of skepticism is the way a lot of people are uninterested in sorting out their concerns. If we put aside the zombie stuff, there's nothing absurd about having some questions about novel medical drugs and technologies. If I go to my doctor with some issue and he suggests some new drug or treatment, it would be quite reasonable for me to have some questions, like "How safe is it? Would there be any reason to be concerned about long term effects? How does it compare to the old treatments?"

What I don't really understand is just saying "I'm uncertain about mRNA technology," as if that is just an impossible thing to learn more about. That's especially baffling if you're a nurse or pharmacy tech and presumably can understand medical literature and have very easy access to people with expertise who would presumably be happy to answer your questions and address your concerns. I don't know, maybe that's one of those things where it can be hard for academic types to understand people who, faced with some question, wouldn't try to work it out with research?

secundem_artem

• A modest man with much to be modest about.
  • CHE Posts: 2347
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2021, 08:42:00 AM »
Today's post on Your Local Epidemiologist has some great info on talking to the vaccine hesitant:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/vaccine-hesitant-how-can-you-help

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

downer

• This heaven gives me migraine.
  • CHE Posts: 7500
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2021, 08:42:02 AM »
I don't find scepticism about vaccines puzzling at all.

For one thing, medicine does not have everything worked out. It is constantly revising and refining its base of knowledge. Some parts of medical knowledge are more squishy than others. New innovations are more likely to turn out to have unexpected downsides.

Then there's Big Pharma, which has a scandalously bad record. There have been some great discoveries that have saved millions of lives, but there have been plenty of cases of inadequately researched drugs that often have terrible side effects or are far less effective than claimed.

The scientific basis for medical technology has been significantly undermined by the corporate need to make a profit.

Nurses and doctors are closest to the medical field, and see how imperfect it is. They don't trust it very much.
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210628/huge-number-of-hospital-workers

(Less than half of doctors are willing to be organ donors -- more than the general population but still significantly low given the desparate need for organs.)

The medical establishment has been facing a crisis of trustworthiness for a long time.

Having said all that, I think it is worth taking the risk of getting the vaccine, versus the risk of getting the virus, and I am vaccinated. But people are famously not very good at assessing and comparing probabilities. The main info they are given is that the vaccines are totally safe, and many don't really believe that. That's where they get stuck.

"Change takes courage." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

dismalist

• Hardly a
  • Often wrong, never in doubt.
  • CHE Posts: 1513
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »
The scientific basis for medical technology has been significantly undermined by the corporate need to make a profit.

It's the lure of profits that has made the miracles of modern drugs. The drugs work only when the science is sound.
We have met the enemy, and they is us.
--Pogo

Caracal

« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2021, 05:32:50 PM »
I don't find scepticism about vaccines puzzling at all.

For one thing, medicine does not have everything worked out. It is constantly revising and refining its base of knowledge. Some parts of medical knowledge are more squishy than others. New innovations are more likely to turn out to have unexpected downsides.

Then there's Big Pharma, which has a scandalously bad record. There have been some great discoveries that have saved millions of lives, but there have been plenty of cases of inadequately researched drugs that often have terrible side effects or are far less effective than claimed.

Nurses and doctors are closest to the medical field, and see how imperfect it is. They don't trust it very much.
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210628/huge-number-of-hospital-workers

(Less than half of doctors are willing to be organ donors -- more than the general population but still significantly low given the desparate need for organs.)

The medical establishment has been facing a crisis of trustworthiness for a long time.

Having said all that, I think it is worth taking the risk of getting the vaccine, versus the risk of getting the virus, and I am vaccinated. But people are famously not very good at assessing and comparing probabilities. The main info they are given is that the vaccines are totally safe, and many don't really believe that. That's where they get stuck.

On some level, I agree with you. I don't have some large scale belief in science or medicine. That said, it isn't like most vaccine skeptics have some better alternative. If they got sick, they'd go see a doctor. They do believe in the medical system.

It would be like if you went to three different doctors and they all said that some course of treatment was the one they would recommend, and agreed that it carried low risks and after that you just said "nah, I think I won't do it, might be too dangerous, I've sort of heard that on the internet" Well, why are you bothering to go to the doctors in the first place?

I think you're right. It is about pervasive skepticism and doubt about institutions and experts. But the part I can never quite get is how weirdly selective that doubt is and how people seem to have a hard time testing their concerns. In some sense, I have an easier time understanding the hardcore anti-vaccine people. They have ridiculous ideas, but I can get being unwilling to drop a set of beliefs or ideology. People who just have vague "concerns," that they won't try to address confuse me. I get that lots of people have limited access to doctors, and could be persuaded if they thought their concerns were being listened to and addressed. It doesn't make much sense to me if you're a nurse...

lightning

« Reply #488 on: July 22, 2021, 09:39:28 PM »

I did that already.

apl68

« Reply #489 on: Today at 08:38:48 AM »
Looks like we're getting two vaccine-hesitant staff members vaccinated.  One got it just yesterday on her day off, and is here today, so she must not be feeling serious side effects.
Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on Earth, where they can decay or be stolen.  Lay up treasures for yourselves in Heaven, where there is no decay or theft.  Where your treasure is, you heart will be also.

You can't take it with you.  You can only send it on ahead.