I heard that once you are up for tenure you should also be in the market. Why?

Started by moebius_strip, January 24, 2021, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Reasons I'll be selectively on the market when I go up this year:

• Contingency plan in case of denial
  • Harder to move after tenure
  • Leverage for larger pay bump with promotion
  • Outside offer can expedite the process

Also something to be said for testing your market value, although I've already gotten a sense for that in previous job market cycles.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on January 26, 2021, 11:22:57 AM
There are no professional denigrators of groundskeeping staff, janitors, et al.

So why then don't people who want to be paid more with benefits to be employed at a given institution take the janitorial job and then adjunct on the side?  After all, if janitor is a great job equal to being faculty, then why would anyone not be a full-time employee with benefits and then teach for a little extra money as a good second choice if one cannot be full-time faculty due to limited slots?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on January 27, 2021, 07:17:06 AM

So why then don't people who want to be paid more with benefits to be employed at a given institution take the janitorial job and then adjunct on the side?  After all, if janitor is a great job equal to being faculty, then why would anyone not be a full-time employee with benefits and then teach for a little extra money as a good second choice if one cannot be full-time faculty due to limited slots?

I see polly mer wants to discuss adjunct faculty.

I don't know that they don't. I could consider it given the right circumstances. Furthermore, I've know former adjunct faculty who are in new careers, too. So what. While they are still adjunct faculty they still should have their right to self advocacy which is something you will never understand.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on January 27, 2021, 07:28:25 AM

I don't know that they don't. I could consider it given the right circumstances. Furthermore, I've know former adjunct faculty who are in new careers, too. So what. While they are still adjunct faculty they still should have their right to self advocacy which is something you will never understand.

Faculty are supposed to be management: in charge of curriculum and other academic affairs.  Unionizing against management when one is in the management category doesn't work.  If a faculty member really is just a worker bee employee like a janitor and needs to organize, then that faculty member is doing it wrong and would be better off in the actual employee category that can organize the workers against management.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on January 27, 2021, 07:56:19 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on January 27, 2021, 07:28:25 AM

Faculty are supposed to be management: in charge of curriculum and other academic affairs.  Unionizing against management when one is in the management category doesn't work.  If a faculty member really is just a worker bee employee like a janitor and needs to organize, then that faculty member is doing it wrong and would be better off in the actual employee category that can organize the workers against management.

Reader: didn't I tell you?
I've got better things to do today than fuck around with this piece of work.