Main Menu

Atlanta/'Dismantling White Supremacy'

Started by mahagonny, March 21, 2021, 07:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 22, 2021, 04:39:58 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on March 22, 2021, 04:19:36 PM
Honest question, perf. Gumbo

how do you think white supremacy is going to be dismantled and what is the timetable, and when will everyone be happy?

perf?

Only through the continued momentum of structural changes that have been taking place for centuries. I have no clue as to how long that will take.

Not very specific.

I don't want to call you Perf. You can call me Mahagonny or M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_and_Fall_of_the_City_of_Mahagonny

on edit: I'm interested in the 'Dismantling White Supremacy' project. What are the changes, how implemented, what are the anticipated phases of getting towards the desired result (equity) and why we should trust the big players on the scene advocating it.
The reason for dismantling white supremacy should be comparable to the reason for developing a vaccine that rids the world of COVID-19. Because it will work. The reason for a society, together, to mobilize for dismantling white supremacy could be like the allied powers mobilizing to defeat the Nazi Germans. The reason to join the cause can't be 'because life isn't fair.' We already knew that; there's no such thing as 'what a person deserves' in the abstract. There's only what happens or what doesn't. That's not a reason you'll get a coalition and then a result that fixes what it purports to fix. That's a reason to join a religion, which is what 'antiracism' is (google John McWhorter and Coleman Hughes.)
Higher education understands that better than anyone, having a winners-losers scenario among its workforce. We can't even bring ourselves to say 'congratulations for teaching 20 years, here's your gift.' Higher Education is embarrassed by the jobs it implements. But beyond the obvious comedy in that, I wonder what people think is going to happen down the road and how. When you ask for work and sacrifice, or whatever you're asking for, if you know yet, you have to sell your idea.
There's probably a lot more that could be said about the Atlanta killer, but not much new to say about it. Heartbreaking.

apl68

Quote from: little bongo on March 22, 2021, 08:47:03 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on March 22, 2021, 08:11:42 PM
Mahagonny is literally turning the tragic murder of six Asian women into a white victimhood thread. Stop bro.

This.

Yes.  Certain people have indeed taken this occasion to engage in a lot of excessive rhetoric but NOW, in the midst of widespread mourning over six murder victims, is not the time to call them on it.  At a minimum it's extremely tone-deaf.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

Please delete the thread and sorry to have created a bother. I may ask my questions in another venue later. That will give people time to collect their ideas on how dismantling white supremacy and eliminating racism are going to work.
My sincere condolences to the nine victims and all others who have been close to them.

Descartes

The two things that amaze me about this case (but probably shouldn't)

1.  The police captain who made the "was having a bad day, so this is what he did" comment was very obviously not a good public speaker, nor particularly articulate, nor likely the best person to trot out as spokesperson.  His entire commentary was bumbling with him searching for his words and not expressing himself well.  Somehow, all of Twitter and the social justice universe has now turned his awful presentation into a case of "he's apologizing for a white guy, downplaying it by calling it a bad day, and showing how white privilege gets this guy treated."  Well rest assured, not only is that NOT what the captain was doing, but even if it WAS, what is that going to actually translate into?  Are you thinking they're not going to put this guy on trial and either give him the death penalty or lock him away for the rest of his natural life? 

2.  Facts matter.  Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.  Every indication from the people who have actually interrogated him and presumably served search warrants on his home and electronic devices say that it doesn't appear he was racially motivated, but rather had this weird motive about eliminating sexual temptation.  Yet we've got, again, all of Twitter, and half the media, including Trevor Noah, out there talking about how "obvious it was that this was racially motivated but we can't admit it."  Sorry, but truth is truth and facts matter - no matter what it looks like.  In the middle of winter, I looked out and saw over a foot of snow in my driveway; does that mean that climate change isn't real?  It looked pretty plain and obvious to me!