News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

No more masks?? (What are your thoughts?)

Started by clean, May 13, 2021, 03:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

It seems that the CDC has revised the mask requirements FOR THOSE THAT HAVE THEIR SHOTS (and waited the 2 weeks).

I am fully vaccinated, but I dont trust that the rest of my area has taken the same steps for the good of society.  I dont go out often, but when I do, I see too many people still not wearing masks.  I hear lots of news about the drop in the number getting vaccinated in my area.  I fear that those that were going to get vaccinated have done so, and the rest are unwilling to be so.

The bottom line is that I dont trust that those NOT wearing a mask have been vaccinated.

So I am going to wait a while before I venture out unmasked or risk my life to eat inside a restaurant. 

What are your thoughts? 
Are you vaccinated?  Do you trust your neighbors to act responsibly?  Will you wear a mask or not (and why)?

Discuss
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Cheerful

1.  They're rushing things.  Can't we wait until the grand July 4th target date for "end of pandemic in US?"

2.  They're pressuring people to get vaccinated.  Biden Tweet:  "The rule is now simple: get vaccinated or wear a mask until you do. The choice is yours."

This "rule" doesn't sound good.  What about those who can't get the vaccine for health reasons?  Tough luck?!

How about the Ohio vaccine bribes?  Five $1 million lottery prizes and five full-ride scholarships to
an Ohio college.  Funding from "unused federal Covid relief funds."  What might that $5 million be used for otherwise?  What about the good folks who feverishly searched for appts and got vaxxed early on?  No lottery entries?  You can't reason with adults based on credible data?  You must bribe them?

3.  They say decisions are science based yet don't release ample, relevant data.

4.  Some scientists are criticizing CDC messaging/behavior.  March 29, it was "impending doom."  A couple weeks ago, "no masks outdoors."  Now, "no masks! (for vaccinated) but Biden will continue wearing his due to age."

dismalist

QuoteThe bottom line is that I dont trust that those NOT wearing a mask have been vaccinated.

Strangely, I agree with Clean on this. :-)

For those of us fully vaccinated, the risk of becoming infected is low even without masks. Wearing a mask lessens that risk a tiny bit more. Since wearing a mask is not high cost to me, I will continue to wear a mask.

That's personal health. As for public health,

QuoteThey are trying to pressure people to get vaccinated.  Biden Tweet:  "The rule is now simple: get vaccinated or wear a mask until you do. The choice is yours."

That's trying to entice, not to pressure. Problem is that it's not enforceable.

QuoteHow about the Ohio vaccine bribes?  Five $1 million lottery prizes and five full-ride scholarships to
an Ohio college.  Funding from "unused federal Covid relief funds."

And why not? It could save others' lives.

QuoteWhat about the good folks who feverishly searched for appointments and got their vax early on?  No lottery entries?

That's an "I want more because its unfair" argument, not helpful for public health. Others' vaccinations protect me.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

namazu

I wish there were clearer guidance for those of us who are vaccinated but live with vulnerable people who cannot be, particularly those of us in areas still seeing a fair amount of transmission and vaccine hesitancy.  While the available evidence on transmission to and from vaccinated people is highly encouraging (i.e., it's relatively rare in both cases), local conditions are still important. The more people around who are infectious and mingling, the greater the likelihood of those individually rare events happening.  I plan to continue to wear a mask and avoid prolonged indoor exposures and large crowds for the time being.  Then again, I'm fairly risk-averse and have an unvaccinated person in my household to worry about.

Quote from: Cheerful on May 13, 2021, 03:58:37 PMWhat about the good folks who feverishly searched for appts and got vaxxed early on?  No lottery entries? 
Setting aside the issues of what else the money could have been used for and whether a tiny chance to win a large amount is more or less enticing to those who remain hesitant about vaccination than a guaranteed $25 gift card to the grocery store or a beer (New Jersey) or a $100 savings bond (WV)... 

Those who were vaccinated earlier are eligible for the lottery:
Quote from: Cincinnati EnquirerThe winners will be pulled from the Ohio secretary of state's voter registration database.
[...]
To be eligible, you must be 18 or older, an Ohio resident and vaccinated before the drawing. Further details about the lottery, including whether taxes would be owed on winnings, were not available Wednesday night.

DeWine said 12- to 17-year-olds can sign up for the scholarship drawing via an electronic portal that will open May 18. Drawings will be held for five straight Wednesdays to select one student to receive the scholarship, which will cover tuition, room-and-board and books.

Mobius

If you live with people who aren't vaccinated and/or particularly vulnerable, it is up to you to protect them by wearing a mask, being careful how you socialize, etc. I know this isn't nice, but I don't care much for those who don't want it get vaccinated or can't be bothered to go to one of many local pharmacies. I certainly shouldn't have to wear a mask for them.

I just don't think you can expect vaccinated people to continue to be restricted indefinitely.

Parasaurolophus

Seems premature to me, since there's no easy way to check the unmasked have been vaccinated, and since we don't have great information on how much the vaccinated can transfer the virus.

Plus, since the guidance still requires masks for public transit and other such activities, it's bound to cause confusion.p
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Mobius on May 13, 2021, 05:56:36 PM
I just don't think you can expect vaccinated people to continue to be restricted indefinitely.

Is the expectation that it's 'indefinitely', or that it's until things are well in hand as measured by some clearly-defined goal (e.g percentage of population vaccinated)?

We've seen the effects of half-assing it and lifting restrictions too early time and time again, after all. I get it, we're all really done with it all. I don't think that's a great reason to be incautious, however.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

At some level this comes down to a potential Darwin Awards situation for each individual.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Cheerful

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 13, 2021, 06:04:34 PM
Seems premature to me, since there's no easy way to check the unmasked have been vaccinated, and since we don't have great information on how much the vaccinated can transfer the virus.

Transmission of virus by vaccinated is something we need more data on.  8 cases of vaccinated NY Yankee player/staff testing positive for Covid this week, 1 symptomatic. They need to study these cases.  Bill Maher, vaccinated, he/staff do weekly PCR tests, he tested positive, asymptomatic.

How many asymptomatic vaccinated people are there and can they transmit to other vaccinated and nonvaccinated people?

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 13, 2021, 06:08:24 PM
We've seen the effects of half-assing it and lifting restrictions too early time and time again, after all. I get it, we're all really done with it all. I don't think that's a great reason to be incautious, however.

Especially after so many have sacrificed way too much (including their lives) for so long, why throw in the towel abruptly?

dismalist

QuoteHow many asymptomatic vaccinated people are there and can they transmit to other vaccinated and nonvaccinated people?

CDC does not give numbers. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

I go around with a mask, very low cost.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Cheerful

Quote from: dismalist on May 13, 2021, 06:33:14 PM
QuoteHow many asymptomatic vaccinated people are there and can they transmit to other vaccinated and nonvaccinated people?

CDC does not give numbers. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

I go around with a mask, very low cost.

That link says:  "CDC will continue to evaluate and update public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people....information on evidence and considerations related to these recommendations is available in the  Science Brief."

Science Brief says:  "A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing."

and

"Taking steps towards relaxing certain measures for vaccinated people may help improve COVID-19 vaccine acceptance and uptake."

lightning

I'm very surprised. I was thinking (hoping) that the time to remove the masks was when the youngest children were vaccinated.

Ruralguy

Wearing a mask in a grocery store or when I'm in a campus situation with unvaxed is no cost to me for the next several months while we round out getting kids vaccinated, remaining adults who want it, etc..

Puget

since we don't have great information on how much the vaccinated can transfer the virus.

Actually, we have pretty good data on this now-- see here for summary: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

Key data point is Pfizer (and would expect Moderna to be about the same given their similarity), 94% protection against *asymptomatic* infection 2 weeks after second dose, and 4x lower viral load even in those who did test positive (meaning even in those rare cases transmission is probably even rarer).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on May 13, 2021, 07:40:01 PM
since we don't have great information on how much the vaccinated can transfer the virus.

Actually, we have pretty good data on this now-- see here for summary: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

Key data point is Pfizer (and would expect Moderna to be about the same given their similarity), 94% protection against *asymptomatic* infection 2 weeks after second dose, and 4x lower viral load even in those who did test positive (meaning even in those rare cases transmission is probably even rarer).

Thanks.
I know it's a genus.