Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Votes have Second Thoughts About Biden

Started by mahagonny, May 28, 2021, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 17, 2021, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on July 17, 2021, 04:33:21 AM
Well of course we can continue butting heads if we want to. Not that interesting.

But FYI, here's how this registered democrat who is starting to feel estranged from his party sees things:

Trump shouldn't have been necessary in the first place. His ascension was made possible by the self righteous woke and political correctness culture which alienated many voters, then as now, Hillary campaigning with references to feminism (a non-starter by 2016), her own high negatives (which democrats had known about for years, but neglected to consider). With the democratic party moving away from middle America, Trump was the only place for many to go, despite his unpopular traits.

I'm always amused by this narrative that Trump's rise is actually the fault of Democrats, as though they were the party who chose this mentally unhinged authoritarian as their nominee. 

You don't sound amused. You sound pissed off. I was trying to help. The democratic party has a 'wokeness' problem. James Carville explained it in a recent Op-ed you can find easily by googling.
Now the teachers' unions, never overwhelmingly popular, are enraging parents with their nutty ideas for how to combat a problem of white-on-black racism through indoctrination of public school students, starring with interrogating them about which race they identify with, then sorting them into groups.

Which, there was never any consensus that it was a problem to be given priority, more even one looked for. Talk about arrogance.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on July 17, 2021, 07:57:33 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 17, 2021, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on July 17, 2021, 04:33:21 AM
Well of course we can continue butting heads if we want to. Not that interesting.

But FYI, here's how this registered democrat who is starting to feel estranged from his party sees things:

Trump shouldn't have been necessary in the first place. His ascension was made possible by the self righteous woke and political correctness culture which alienated many voters, then as now, Hillary campaigning with references to feminism (a non-starter by 2016), her own high negatives (which democrats had known about for years, but neglected to consider). With the democratic party moving away from middle America, Trump was the only place for many to go, despite his unpopular traits.

I'm always amused by this narrative that Trump's rise is actually the fault of Democrats, as though they were the party who chose this mentally unhinged authoritarian as their nominee. 

You don't sound amused. You sound pissed off. I was trying to help. The democratic party has a 'wokeness' problem. James Carville explained it in a recent Op-ed you can find easily by googling.
Now the teachers' unions, never overwhelmingly popular, are enraging parents with their nutty ideas for how to combat a problem of white-on-black racism through indoctrination of public school students, starring with interrogating them about which race they identify with, then sorting them into groups.

Which, there was never any consensus that it was a problem to be given priority, more even one looked for. Talk about arrogance.

Of course I'm pissed off about the ongoing attack on American democracy from the Republican party. Democrats have their problems as well and I wish there was a sane political opponent that could check them. Unfortunately, America doesn't have that and so Democrats, with all their flaws, are the only game in town.

I'm also amused that conservatives can be so obtuse about the crisis that has destroyed their party.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 18, 2021, 10:37:57 AM
Democrats have their problems as well and I wish there was a sane political opponent that could check them. Unfortunately, America doesn't have that and so Democrats, with all their flaws, are the only game in town.

I'm also amused that conservatives can be so obtuse about the crisis that has destroyed their party.

RE: obtuseness - When the trifecta of intolerance, i.e. academia, Hollywood and the media, call all Republicans racists or Uncle Toms, they consolidate and galvanize Trump's base, insuring that every one of them will vote. Democrats pretend they would respect a 'legitimate' republican candidate, but it's not plausible.
And really, it doesn't matter what a republican says about race. The left will sort them into either the 'in denial' or 'dog whistling flaming racist' category. And since nearly every issue is prone to racializing, it almost doesn't matter what a republican says about anything. People like Trump and Steve Bannon knew this before others. This does not make them obtuse but aware.
Banning Trump from social media is going to backfire or be struck down in the courts. Now Biden is trying to run Facebook from Washington. Dangerous and stupid.

nebo113

When was the last time you went to a drive in theater?  Do you remember what you saw?  Guess for me it was at least a quarter of a century ago, and I have no memory of what was on.  I did sleep through the second feature, snuggled up in a blanket.

ergative

Quote from: nebo113 on July 19, 2021, 05:34:38 AM
When was the last time you went to a drive in theater?  Do you remember what you saw?  Guess for me it was at least a quarter of a century ago, and I have no memory of what was on.  I did sleep through the second feature, snuggled up in a blanket.

My parents would take my sister and me to drive-ins when we were really small. We'd get in our pyjamas and brush our teeth ahead of time, so I think my parents were being smart about the soporific effects of cars + movies. Can't remember what we saw, but I do recall a conversation with my mother in which I asked how the sound worked, and she explained that it was broadcast on a radio frequency so we could pick it up with the car radio. I thought that was a wildly clever design. Possibly that conversation took place after we stopped going to drive-ins, which would explain why I didn't already know that the car radio was involved somehow.

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on July 19, 2021, 02:23:37 AM
Democrats have their problems as well and I wish there was a sane political opponent that could check them. Unfortunately, America doesn't have that and so Democrats, with all their flaws, are the only game in town.

RE: obtuseness - When the trifecta of intolerance, i.e. academia, Hollywood and the media, call all Republicans racists or Uncle Toms, they consolidate and galvanize Trump's base, insuring that every one of them will vote. Democrats pretend they would respect a 'legitimate' republican candidate, but it's not plausible.
And really, it doesn't matter what a republican says about race. The left will sort them into either the 'in denial' or 'dog whistling flaming racist' category. And since nearly every issue is prone to racializing, it almost doesn't matter what a republican says about anything. People like Trump and Steve Bannon knew this before others. This does not make them obtuse but aware.
Banning Trump from social media is going to backfire or be struck down in the courts. Now Biden is trying to run Facebook from Washington. Dangerous and stupid.

Actually pro sports now too. Although the Trump haters do not have the entire media to themselves. It may end up the free press is the only thing saving us from ruin.
Almost no issues now are not infused with the 'systemic racism' narrative. Left says
Republicans are racially on the wrong side of
1. States' rights to revise election law
2. Immigration
3. Law enforcement and crime
4. Public education
5. Income tax rates
etc

little bongo

Well, a break from the massive klansplaining is welcome.

We avail ourselves of the local drive-in sometimes--I think the last thing we saw there was Hotel Transylvania 3 with the youngsters (they're 11, 9, and 8 now). Retro radio commercials in the background, appropriately downscale snack bar, and possibly the world's most dangerous play area for the kids. Good times.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on July 19, 2021, 08:05:15 AM
Well, a break from the massive klansplaining is welcome.

No one is forcing you to read here. Unless you have some kind if internet addiction that rules you, your purpose is to prevent other posters* from contributing.

ETA: *with views you disagree with

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on July 19, 2021, 02:23:37 AM

Not even sure why I'm responding to this post, since it reads like the ramblings of a madman, but let me at least clarify for you that the bolded is wrong. Deplatforming Trump has been effective* and pretty much every serious lawyer who has commented on Trump's lawsuit against FB (and other sites) says it will fail.
* https://www.niemanlab.org/2021/06/deplatforming-works-this-new-data-on-trump-tweets-shows/

Anyway, this thread has run its course: Your op says voters are having second thoughts about Biden, but the evidence you provided is weak and easily debunked. So now you are whining about race and your other pet topics. I stupidly engaged with you and now I probably look foolish too.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on July 19, 2021, 11:20:36 AM
DNFTT.

We need The Fiona.

M.

Wonder what The Fiona might say about drive ins.

mahagonny

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 19, 2021, 11:02:48 AM

Anyway, this thread has run its course: Your op says voters are having second thoughts about Biden, but the evidence you provided is weak and easily debunked. So now you are whining about race and your other pet topics. I stupidly engaged with you and now I probably look foolish too.

[Where's my 'guffaw' emoticon?]

You look foolish because everyone knows race and imagined white-against-black racism are the favorite topics of your political party and most of your even less popular academic community. Race is one of our least favorite topics and we were happy being color blind until your woke establishment canceled Dr. King and his common sense. As for Biden, stay tuned.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on July 20, 2021, 07:02:17 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 19, 2021, 11:02:48 AM

[Where's my 'guffaw' emoticon?]

You look foolish because everyone knows race and imagined white-against-black racism are the favorite topics of your political party and most of your even less popular academic community. Race is one of our least favorite topics and we were happy being color blind until your woke establishment canceled Dr. King and his common sense. As for Biden, stay tuned.

Ahh, the "stay tuned."

"Stay tuned" is what one says when they have been beaten, and are trying to save face, by pointing to an arbitrary time in the future when they will be right & victorious, in the hopes that by then everyone will forget that the loser's humiliating experience ever happened. Trump team said that when the Trump blog had to be canceled for irrelevance. Trump said it when he was removed from Twitter. "Stay tuned" is what Trump allies said after they vowed to fight the 2020 election results. You said it when you were shot down with a simple haiku.

little bongo

Well, what we have here is this:

https://www.facebook.com/actdottv/photos/a.167930366730871/1717871581736734/

It's part and parcel of having a forum, I think. And for some, this kind of behavior is part and parcel of the process of growing up. It takes some folks longer.