News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Votes have Second Thoughts About Biden

Started by mahagonny, May 28, 2021, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/byron-yorks-daily-memo-second-thoughts-about-voting-for-joe-biden

Discuss if you feel so inclined. Or scroll past. Have a nice day!

Bonus: The Republican Party Now Stands For Nothing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/the-gop-now-stands-for-nothing/ar-AAKu0zC

Here I think I would have to disagree. As long as it stands in opposition to today's democratic party, it's important. Mess that it may be.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Incredibly dishonest framing. Statistically speaking, there's not much difference between 97, 95 and 93.

Sun_Worshiper

The title of this thread should actually be "Biden's polling is remarkably steady" and the link should be to 538's poll aggregator instead of a crappy oped from a partisan outlet. Here's a much more useful set of polls, in case OP is interested in learning something today (scroll down to see the most recent Fox News poll, which finds 54% approval of Biden, and scroll down a little further to compare Biden with the last guy): https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?ex_cid=rrpromo

spork

Remarkably Few Voters Have Second Thoughts About Jewish Space Lasers
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Hibush

Quote from: spork on May 29, 2021, 11:04:44 AM

Good to know!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: spork on May 29, 2021, 11:04:44 AM

But do Jewish space lasers have second thoughts about you?
I know it's a genus.

jimbogumbo

Jewish space lasers have passed the Turing test? Oh my.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 29, 2021, 05:18:06 PM
Jewish space lasers have passed the Turing test? Oh my.

I've been thinking, recently, that all you need to pass the Turing test is a bot programmed to be a MAGAtroll.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

mahagonny

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on July 12, 2021, 07:53:39 PM
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/

May 28 was different from today.

Biden's approval has perhaps slipped, although it looks more like his disapproval has risen, which is not really surprising. That said, the 538 tracker shows that he is at 51.6% approval and he won 51.3% of the popular vote, so it isn't clear that Biden voters are having second thoughts (as thread title asserts). It is also the case that his approval is at 52.3% if you look at likely or registered voters, which is higher than on, for example, May 15th or June 20th.

In any case, if you scroll down a little on the 538 link you can compare Biden to other presidents. When you do, you'll see that his polling is more consistent than any other, except perhaps the former guy, who never came close to 50% approval.

pepsi_alum

I may be an outlier, but my impression of Biden has improved since he took office. He was never my first (or second or third) choice in the primary, and I didn't really have high hopes when I voted for him in the general election. But he's exceeded my expectations in terms of message discipline and being on-point compared to what I would have expected from his past performance.

mahagonny

Quote from: pepsi_alum on July 13, 2021, 07:56:02 PM
I may be an outlier, but my impression of Biden has improved since he took office. He was never my first (or second or third) choice in the primary, and I didn't really have high hopes when I voted for him in the general election. But he's exceeded my expectations in terms of message discipline and being on-point compared to what I would have expected from his past performance.

So since he campaigned on a platform of unifying the nation, I can only conclude that you think

(1) a promise such as that one was meant for fools, or
(2) we are united, we just haven't noticed it yet, or
(3) ?

I suspect academics are becoming outliers where voting will be concerned. I watched a  teachers' union livestream the other day and actually considered quitting my unions. And for the first time Betsy DeVos sounded halfway reasonable to me.
And much was posted here and elsewhere about how we really shouldn't expect a 'united' society, but at least one where we aren't at each other's throats would be preferable. But a statement such as GA election reform effort is Jim Crow all over again is classic Biden  partisan grandstanding, at one time might have been called a gaffe, anything but good faith argument. And the 'anti-racist' stuff flooding into schools is extremely divisive, and Biden's taken the less popular side of the debate.

waterboy

Taking an incredibly fractured public and you're dissing him on unity based on...what...6 months? Really? When the Republicans are still fantasizing about the last election? As Joe might say "Gimme a break!"
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."