News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Emerging from the pandemic

Started by Puget, June 01, 2021, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

We've had lots of COVID threads, but none yet on the transition back toward normal.
How are you adjusting? What things have you started doing again, and what still feels like too much? What are you most looking forward to this summer?

Two big steps for me this week that felt symbolic--

First, I got my hair cut, almost the first thing I did after reaching 2 weeks post second dose. It had gotten REALLY long and I had to keep it tied back to keep it out of the way, so I was super ready to have it of. The hair dresser asked me three times if I was sure-- I had to assure him it was just going back to normal length and I was really going to have zero regrets about that.

Second, we had our first in-person lab meeting and individual meetings with my grad students today, and it was so wonderful! Everyone is fully vaccinated and this was the first day masks were only required indoors on campus, so we were able to have our individual meetings outside at a picnic table and actually talk face to face for the first time in more than a year. We're getting ready to resume in person human subjects research, and the grad students were almost giddy ordering research supplies (and coffee pods-- very important!) and just getting to interact in person.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

sinenomine

I did my first maskless shopping trip yesterday, but still haven't gone to a restaurant. My favorite local place is owned by a nurse, who's really on top of cleaning protocols, so that will probably be my first place to go. I'm waiting until the excitement wanes a bit and crowds lessen.

My campus is mandating vaccinations for all, so I think I'll feel pretty comfortable there when I return.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

cathwen

My husband and I went to the movies yesterday for the first time since before the pandemic.  When we bought our tickets, we were told that if we were fully vaccinated (which we are), we could take our masks off in the theater (which we did).  My husband also bought a bag of popcorn just to make it a full going-to-the-movies experience.

We've been to restaurants a couple of times for outdoor and, recently, indoor dining.

I'm in a state with a 70% vaccination rate, and where people have been very good about masking, distancing, and generally observing safety precautions.  Because of that, I feel pretty safe at this point. 

mamselle

I'm holding off on tours for the summer.

I don't trust the visitors who might come without masks and claim to be vaccinated, but are not. We've already been seeing some of those in the downtown pub/visitor magnet areas.

I also have a feeling the "opening up" celebration is going to backfire as long as students and other young adults (or even their cock-o'-the-hoop elders) in the area visit those same places over the weekends.

So I'm siting tight and finishing the videos of the sites I was going to do anyway, instead.

And I'm waiting to think about any serious travel for awhile, too.

I have more than enough to do at home, anyway!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Im waiting.

I have not had a haircut in seven months. I have not eaten in a restaurant in over a year, and have no plans.

I feel that there are too many going maskless and I limit my trips to the store(s). 

IF in a few weeks, IF the Memorial Day travel burst does not result in another bounce, I may feel less disdain for those going maskless about me.  However, though I have been fully vaccinated since mid April, I plan to keep wearing the mask until at least the fall. Except that while I am on campus I will wear a mask, though I may take it off to teach. 

I may go to a movie in the next week or so, at a low attendance time, as long as they are continuing to keep social distancing seating in place.

The bottom line is that there is NO WAY that I trust that all of those maskless people are vaccinated!  Even IF vaccinated, there is still a 5 % chance that you are not immune.  The next time you go to buy something, pay in cash and see how many nickels you get back in change. 

Just sayin...  I HOPE that we have turned the corner, but Im not yet convinced that we ARE "Emerging From the Pandemic"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

Quote from: cathwen on June 01, 2021, 01:16:06 PM

We've been to restaurants a couple of times for outdoor and, recently, indoor dining.

I'm in a state with a 70% vaccination rate, and where people have been very good about masking, distancing, and generally observing safety precautions.  Because of that, I feel pretty safe at this point.

Ms. Dismalist got vaccinated early on account of her profession; me, some weeks ago, on account of my age. Our state's vaccination rate [first dose] is decent. We still wear masks when going out -- occasional food shopping, hair cuts, and restaurant -- pour encourager les autres.

Until now, home delivery of groceries was extremely helpful.

Yeah, we're safe now, but I felt OK'ish before being vaccinated.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

spork

I am going to miss having an excuse not to socialize. My wife and I are starting to get invites to potlucks, etc. from vaccinated acquaintances in the neighborhood. I am also going to miss working from home when the fall semester starts. I'm vowing to just skip the meaningless in-person crap that typically happens on campus.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ciao_yall

Mask wearing, vax rate, case count and hospitalizations are very low in our county. Capacity for businesses is still limited.

I'm pretty much back to normal activity, except I have more elbow room and wear a thing on my face.

Vkw10

I've been fully vaccinated for three months. I've been out for lunch three times, going early with someone who is also vaccinated each time. Drove from Texas to SC and back, with limited stops as usual. Started looking at movie schedules again, but haven't decided to buy tickets yet.

Staff and 12-month faculty are fully onsite again, effective today. Lots of closed doors and "please put on mask and knock" signs. Texas governor decreed that state agencies and local governments can't require masks, but about half the employees I see on campus are wearing masks.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

kaysixteen

Ok, but given that, even in high-vax states like Mass., there are going to be a decent number of folks who simply will not vax (but have no health impediment from doing so), we will never attain to the near-perfect herd immunity we'd get if we did get a greater vax percentage, those of us who have been vaxed need to just eventually decide to return to life, as the vax has made the vaxed person vastly less likely to die or even get a hospitalizable covid case.   We get the right to return to some semblance of normal.

Chemystery

Last week I went to a store for the first time since March 2020.  Today I went into a grocery store for the first time.  It was weird and a little bit stress inducing when I would find myself in an aisle with 4 or 5 maskless people, but overall not as bad as I thought it might be. 

Later this summer I will visit my family in Neighboring State.  I have not seen them in person since January 2020.  This is the only thing I am truly looking forward to in the next couple of months.  I will be glad to be back in my classroom this fall, although the idea does make me nervous.  We are not mandating vaccines.  I suspect that we will not require face coverings this year, but I hope I am wrong.  I am wondering if I can require people who visit my office to wear a mask.  It might be easier to just hold my office hours and any other meetings in another location.

Charlotte

Quote from: clean on June 01, 2021, 03:35:58 PM
Even IF vaccinated, there is still a 5 % chance that you are not immune.  The next time you go to buy something, pay in cash and see how many nickels you get back in change. 

Just sayin...  I HOPE that we have turned the corner, but Im not yet convinced that we ARE "Emerging From the Pandemic"

I agree with the caution... but you don't have a 5% chance of getting a nickel back in change so this isn't really a good comparison. I haven't seen the data on a 5% chance of breakthrough infection.

I feel like the new recommendations are just throwing hands in the air and giving up because those who are going to be vaccinated most likely have been/are about to and those who are not vaccinated likely will not by choice. (Exception being those advised by doctors to not get it for medical reasons.)

Which makes some sense. We cannot keep everything closed down and restricted forever just because some people choose to not vaccinate. I just think it may have happened a little too quickly and confused the heck out of people.

hmaria1609

Mask mandates have been lifted in MD, DC, and VA and things are more open. Many county public library systems fully are reopened or soon will. Fewer barriers and floor stickers about distancing.

I've also gone in stores without a mask (already got my 2 shots) where/when allowed.

Caracal

Quote from: clean on June 01, 2021, 03:35:58 PM

Even IF vaccinated, there is still a 5 % chance that you are not immune. 

Not an expert, but my understanding is that this isn't really how it works. It isn't binary. If you're vaccinated, and you get infected, you're likely to have a very mild, or asymptomatic case, and you're unlikely to be able to spread the virus. You're also much less likely to be hospitalized.

darkstarrynight

Our parents felt neglected, so my spouse and I drove in endless rain to our home state a few weeks ago. We spent one week in my hometown and one week in hu's, doing whatever the parents wanted to do (e.g., have us fix things, sell crap on eBay). They seemed very happy to see us, but it rained so much. I feel like rain is following me everywhere. It rained on every drive we made between our state and those cities, and even on our return drive to where we live this past weekend. Luckily it has been sunny here the past two days, but I am over the rain. My first big airplane trip is next week, where I will fly across the country to meet a very special baby born during the pandemic, my sibling's first child, who is now already more than a year old and walking! I am SO excited.