News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Confronting Critical Race Theory

Started by mahagonny, June 02, 2021, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Oh goodness.  You are soooooo predictable.  Yawn.

mahagonny

nebo113

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

I like threads that have zero responses sometimes.

We should have more of those.

I also liked the derailments.

We used to be very good at going off-topic and staying there for threads and threads and threads.

Sort of like a cloak.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hegemony

I'm sorry that cloaks aren't more popular these days. I used to have a wonderful cape — in fact I still have it — but little opportunity to wear it. They're certainly a lot more convenient to get in and out of than a lot of coats.

mamselle

My favorite is the medium tweedy blue wool one my 18th c. character wears when it's cold out.

She hasn't been out for the past year, and this summer isn't likely either, so it's being protected from moths now.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

Since there are cloak experts here, I've always wanted to know something. Why are Batman's and Superman's capes called capes and not cloaks?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: lightning on June 03, 2021, 04:18:30 PM
Since there are cloak experts here, I've always wanted to know something. Why are Batman's and Superman's capes called capes and not cloaks?

No hoods, presumably?

They also don't seem to use brooches or anything to fasten them.
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 03, 2021, 04:52:02 PM

No hoods, presumably?

Hoods would be my guess for differentiating the two.

Not sure about the fastener- are you suggesting that a cloak has a hood and uses a fastener, like a brooch, while a cape has neither a hood or a fastener?
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: eigen on June 03, 2021, 05:05:25 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 03, 2021, 04:52:02 PM

No hoods, presumably?

Hoods would be my guess for differentiating the two.

Not sure about the fastener- are you suggesting that a cloak has a hood and uses a fastener, like a brooch, while a cape has neither a hood or a fastener?

I think that capes can possibly be hooded (e.g. a rain cape?), but not fastened securely. But generally, I think that cloaks are hooded and capes not.

Also, I have a niggling memory (from learning about the Napoleonic Wars) that capes are perhaps shorter than cloaks?
I know it's a genus.

fishbrains

Batman had a cape (hence the nickname: "The Caped Crusader"), but his headgear was separate. Robin, too, had a cape, yet no real headgear to speak of at all.

Hmmmmmmmm . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

Maybe it's the cut?

Seems to me that a cloak is cut to a pattern that goes more than 360 degrees around, making it fuller, and able to be wrapped around, while a cape is more spare-cut and falls with fewer folds.

But that's just by observation.

I could be wrong.

M.