Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Confronting Critical Race Theory

Started by mahagonny, June 02, 2021, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on June 03, 2021, 06:04:52 PM
Maybe it's the cut?

Seems to me that a cloak is cut to a pattern that goes more than 360 degrees around, making it fuller, and able to be wrapped around, while a cape is more spare-cut and falls with fewer folds.

But that's just by observation.

I could be wrong.

M.

Hmm, yes, that seems right.
I know it's a genus.

Mobius

All of these bans on Critical Race Theory seem to be moot since no one except sitcom actors and "God is Dead"-type content teaches CRT as defined in various statutes.

mamselle

Quote from: Mobius on June 03, 2021, 08:49:22 PM
All of these bans on Critical Race Theory seem to be moot since no one except sitcom actors and "God is Dead"-type content teaches CRT as defined in various statutes.

Yes, cloaked in mystery.

(You wouldn't say, "caped in mystery," would you?)

No, I didn't think so...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hegemony

Yes, a cloak keeps you enveloped in noir-type mystery, whereas a cape flows out behind you in superhero fashion. Different genres. Also, if you have a cape, you can indulge in capers.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on June 03, 2021, 06:04:52 PM
Maybe it's the cut?

Seems to me that a cloak is cut to a pattern that goes more than 360 degrees around, making it fuller, and able to be wrapped around, while a cape is more spare-cut and falls with fewer folds.

But that's just by observation.

I could be wrong.

M.

That was my impression: Cloak is functional to provide warmth, cape is decorative.

I suppose a cape is functional its function serves to provide a second layer for shedding rain from your back.

Here's another go: Cloak is functional for warmth. Cape is functional for rain-shedding. If cape cannot function to shed rain, then it's decorative alone.

Hegemony

Well, cape also helps you fly. Either that or look dashing with a sword, like Zorro, so I gather it's something about increasing velocity.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Hegemony on June 04, 2021, 07:01:37 AM
Well, cape also helps you fly. Either that or look dashing with a sword, like Zorro, so I gather it's something about increasing velocity.

The dashing and velocity aspects of the cloak apply to Dracula as well.

lightning

Thanks for all of the insightful replies. I thought that the length of the garment determined whether it was called a cloak or a cape, so that's why I was always confused. All these other considerations that you all have brought forth tell me that I should have considered these other determining factors.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I sewed a reversible cloak once (with a hood). It was a very satisfying process.

ergative

My mother once sewed herself a cloak. I think I borrowed it to dress as a dementor for one of the Harry Potter book launches. Or maybe I was dressing up for one of the Lord of the Rings movie releases. A good cloak is a necessary staple for cosplay.

mamselle

The cloak I referred to above was also pulled down, off the mannequin I had hung it on, by one litter of our dog's puppies, who thought it made a fine nest at one point.

The flying ability was not affected in that case, but I did have to clean it up a bit after they were done with it...they liked scrunching into its folds.

It was also lined with a then-new (c. 1970) heat-reflective fabric lining that looks like satin but is very warm.

I am very glad of this lining when it gets cold and chilly in the burying grounds.

Since it (almost) never rains on burying ground tours, it has not been a problem that the wool is not water-repellent, just thick and comfortable.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

Capes are quite dangerous. One guy got his cape caught in a revolving door and the bank robbers shot him. Then that other guy's cape got sucked into a jet engine.

jerseyjay

In writing my last book, I came upon reference to a cloakmakers' strike in New York in the 1920s. This befuddled me, because I didn't think that there were actually enough cloaks being sold to employ tens of thousands of cloakmakers. So I did some research on what cloakmaking meant. As it turns out, by the 1920s "cloakmakers" was an archaic term for men who made men's suits. So I am not sure if the term "cloak" itself has evolved over time, too.

Hegemony

Interesting. Wikipedia says:

"A Cloak maker worked in the garment industry, often in an enterprise whose workers were represented by a union. In the 1920s, there were more than 50,000 people employed as cloakmakers. Much of this industry was centered in NYC. While most of the cloakmakers were Jewish women, the next largest group, although much smaller in number, were Italian women. Cloakmakers were a part of those known as clothing-workers, including those who made cloaks, suits and skirts."

It makes sense that the cloak makers were a distinct group from the cape makers. The cape makers would need additional training in aeronautic design. I think some of them also had expertise in buckling swashes.

Mobius

Quote from: RatGuy on June 04, 2021, 09:03:18 AM

Capes are quite dangerous. One guy got his cape caught in a revolving door and the bank robbers shot him. Then that other guy's cape got sucked into a jet engine.

No capes!